Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34

Author Topic: Renegade Space Marine Simulator (40k)  (Read 21952 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Renegade Space Marine Simulator (40k)
« Reply #465 on: February 14, 2022, 10:04:37 pm »

Let em peep a seed

It is withholding knowledge that has led to the Empire's current piss-poor state.

Grant permission for the fights

It's a good way to blow off steam and increase morale!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 14, 2022, 10:10:01 pm »

Agreed on the seed.
But, recall Bulvak for discipline - but with a moderate touch. There is a command structure for a reason and he should have used it, but at the same time, the fights should be allowed and we would have allowed them if the rules were followed. He should be disciplined for not following them, not for the fights themselves.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 14, 2022, 10:36:25 pm »

Allow them to examine a gene-seed.
Allow the fights to continue, but include a reprimand of Bulvak.
(Reasoning below)
There is a command structure for a reason and he should have used it, but at the same time, the fights should be allowed and we would have allowed them if the rules were followed. He should be disciplined for not following them, not for the fights themselves.
Furthermore, as Bulvak is clearly now a figure of note not only to us, but to the Zahgun, it is quite possible that removing him from the location may have unanticipated negative repercussions regarding integration.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 14, 2022, 10:54:38 pm »

Agreed on the seed.
But, recall Bulvak for discipline - but with a moderate touch. There is a command structure for a reason and he should have used it, but at the same time, the fights should be allowed and we would have allowed them if the rules were followed. He should be disciplined for not following them, not for the fights themselves.
+1
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 14, 2022, 11:01:59 pm »

Don't allow them to access the seed, but do draft a few as discount mortal apothecaries.
And since we've got the cream of the crop, see if any of the genetors are suitable for implantation. Then we could certainly trust them to examine the stuff.

Allow the fights to continue, no reprimand. What are chapter veterans for, if not making good decisions under fire? Under metaphorical fire in this case, but still.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 14, 2022, 11:17:15 pm »

Quote from: SERVOSKULL-BORNE SCROLL CONTAINING A MODERATE-URGANCY FINGER-STAMPED MEMO FROM YOUR SERVANT IN THE FORGE, egg-G0
DEAR MIGHTY AND BASED CHAPTER MASTER TALINOR, WHOSE BRILLIANCE SHALL SEE MANKIND FROM THESE DARK TIMES.

THIS ONE HAS HEARD RUMOR OF EXPECTED NEED FOR EXPANSION OF THE FORTRESS-MONESTARY. NEEDS MAY INCLUDE:
CIVILIAN ADMINISTRATIVE FUNCTIONS.
GENETOR RESEARCH FACILITY.
PSYKER CONTAINMENT AND BREAKING GAOL.

IF YOU HAVE ANY NEED FOR THE CONSTUCTION OF THESE FACILITIES ON 5/5 I HUMBLY REQUEST THAT YOU ALLOW ME TO CONTRIBUTE MY EXPERTISE. WORK CAN BEGIN EXPIDITIOUSLY AS SOON AS YOU AUTHORIZE THE USE OF MATERIEL.

XO,
YOUR MORTAL SERVANT UNDER THE EMPEROR'S LIGHT, egg-g0.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 15, 2022, 12:06:00 am »

OK I don't remember if that's everything but, well, it's close enough. Probably.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 10:37:52 am by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 15, 2022, 12:17:34 am »

OK I don't remember if that's everything but, well, it's close enough. Probably.
+1, thank you MM for being the excellent plans guy.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 15, 2022, 12:24:52 am »

+1
Thank you for doing this so I don't have to
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 10:21:12 am by m1895 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 15, 2022, 04:38:52 am »

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 15, 2022, 07:40:57 pm »

They will be incorporated
Sanction the Zahgun Fighters

Before I get into my little in character suggestions I would like to say at our current rate we are almost certainly, barring miraculous rolls going to face some kind of ecclesiastically led revolts on our inhabited worlds in the near future. For as reasonable and adaptive as many people may be to the presence of Xenos as servants there will always be hardliners I don't particularly think any such revolt would be a true threat just a annoyance and we may want to consider heading it off by having our chaplains talk some sense into local church leadership before hand.

Message to the Chapter Master
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 18, 2022, 12:01:30 am »

Don't allow them to access the seed, but do draft a few as discount mortal apothecaries.
And since we've got the cream of the crop, see if any of the genetors are suitable for implantation. Then we could certainly trust them to examine the stuff.

Allow the fights to continue, no reprimand. What are chapter veterans for, if not making good decisions under fire? Under metaphorical fire in this case, but still.

+1
My character would like to assist with overseeing the generous, assessing them in qualification of implantation (it mostly comes down to age, only adolescent geniuses are viable under the old standards), and attempting the difficult implantations.

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 19, 2022, 02:05:24 pm »

Let em peep a seed

It is withholding knowledge that has led to the Empire's current piss-poor state.

Grant permission for the fights

It's a good way to blow off steam and increase morale!
Agreed on the seed.
+1

+ 1
Thank you for doing this so I don't have to
  + 1

By the Terran Calendar: 36,133.7

You determine that, although the gene-seed is sacred, its holiness means nothing if you can't understand it. The geneticists are screened for the utmost competence and loyalty, they are subject to questioning and in several cases, their very minds are searched by means of psychic power. In the end, tens of thousands become hundreds of the skill and faith necessary, and the most brilliant handful of these receive the chance to examine a gene-seed. The least visibly healthy from the least honoured non-heretical marine, it is still of a grandeur that would warrant the death of millions if slighted.

The geneticists aren't unsupervised, a prognosticator and full squad of veterans watch over them, boltguns in hand, and wait for them to make the slightest disrespect to their gene-father's bounty. Needless to say, they are terrified but they are professionals and soon get into a steady rhythm of study. The Chapter at large is profoundly uncomfortable with the thought of mortals examining their gene-sire's legacy but they recognize the need for apothecaries as much as you and acknowledge the necessity. All that's left now is to wait for their research to yield results. In the meantime, the rank-and-file are tested to determine the brightest among them that aren't already techmarines or techmarines-in-training. These few start to study under the mortal geneticists, who struggle to teach them all that they know. This will be the work of decades but its rewards will be worth even centuries of struggle.

After the revival of the Apothecarion is set into motion you consider the problem that Bulvak Aquonus of 9th company, 10th squad has posed. On one hand, his push for Astartes-on-Zahgun fights has singlehandedly moved the Astartes from rabidly baying for xenocide to almost willing to see them slaughtered in combat for the glory of mankind, but on the other hand, he mustered his peers to pressure the captain to allow them to take place. This represents a slight deviation from the conventional hierarchy, that being the captain hears his subordinates and presents it to the Chapter Master but at the same time, The Watchtower has little care for the formalities of rank and he's gotten results. You value initiative and would've allowed them yourself, so you make a judgement and grant permission for the fights to continue.

From what the Prognosticators say of each other's dreams and the messages from freighters, overladen with the products of Xenos industry, you piece together that this move was extremely popular with 9th company. They've continued the fights and over time, they may grow into a grander spectacle of martial excellence. For his part, Bulvak seems indomitable, at one point slaying three back-to-back through physically tearing them out of their shells, hooks and all, and ripping them apart, but as time goes on, he takes to observing fights rather than participating. Supposedly he's started to take an interest in the Zahgun way of life outside of battle and has asked the Prognosticators to teach him their language. They oblige and this sets an example for the 9th company, who've started to almost enjoy their position and consider you wise for decreeing it in the first place. This has done wonders for your popularity in 9th company, elevating your respect to the same level as when you were chosen by prophecy, but is sadly limited in regards to the other companies. So be it, you're confident they'll catch on sooner or later.

At your behest, the less xenophobic and more tactically-minded veterans of 9th company start to draft plans for how to implement Zahgun cannon fodder auxiliaries alongside human forces, putting both to the tasks in which they should, theoretically, excel. Making a completely new and "heretical" military doctrine takes time and you'll allow all that they need. You almost wish there was a proper threat to field them against but you aren't sure the cannibals on Death World #14/2- Antwir would be worth the attrition from the planet itself. All things in due time.

As it is, you invest the totality of your resources into entrenching the Chapter's power-base, as only from a sturdy foundation can you build a future for the masses of mankind, freed from the inefficient cruelties of the Imperium. A tremendous sum goes toward building a sprawling rockcrete bastion on Feral World #7/3- Overlook, to oversee their defence and ensure the wretched Xenos, the Gremlins, are contained. Likewise, you move heaven and earth to ensure the Small, Crude Shipyard in-progress receives anything it could possibly require, man or material, as soon as possible. Between the industrial output of Kauril, or Hardwater, depending, and Zahn, both projects should be complete in a timely manner and with much to spare. To that end, the maintenance of active ships, your Frigates, can resume. The larger craft will receive the attention they deserve in time, when you can afford giving it to them.

Likewise, the native psyker populations of Death World #14/2- Antwir and Civilized World #5/5- Kauril/Hardwater are too useful to the Chapter and dangerous to the general population to let them fend for themselves. You decide that #5/5 is the best place to start and arrange for two frigates, the Gilded Rider and Fatebreaker along with 8th and 2nd company, respectively, with a full complement of Prognosticators to be sent there, the former to search for psykers, the latter to assist and garrison the planet. Both disembark immediately.

While you're at it, Peacemaker is to take 4th company to Feudal World #1/1- Triarius, to garrison the planet and hold as a potential strike force against minor incursions. That settled and Argent Raiment and Verdigris Cloak hard at work transmitting colonists to Feral World #3/3- Overlook, you take the time to draft a system of governance. Far less glamorous than the Astartes taking tithes and leaving each planet to its own devices, having a subset of sufficiently skilled mortals handling the day-to-day management will free you far more time to work with machines, and between the 7th and 3rd, desperately penitent, companies' work in the ruins of Death Worldn#14/2- Antwir, there should be little shortage. Gradually, the daunting task of finding reliable, useful bureacrats to handle lesser domestic affairs begins. Perhaps the most frightening order you've levelled on your mortal charges yet.

In addition, over the next few weeks, a couple of letters you'll be needing to turn your attention towards come in. One from egg-G0 and one from Archaeus, they look to be most interesting...

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 19, 2022, 02:06:13 pm »

Meanwhile, on the Surface of Civilized World #5/5- Kauril

You are battle brother Atellanus Akentar, Sergant of 1st squad, 8th company. You are as veteran as an Astartes in a Chapter as young as yours can be, and you, like all of your battle brothers, are proud to be a Sentinel of the Watchtower. That's why when Chapter Master Talnior decreed that the 2nd and 8th companies would be tracking down and holding psykers on the frozen hellhole with the only human manufactorums outside of the Fortress-Monastery's forges, you didn't complain and you didn't hesitate. You put your nose to the grindstone, kept your silence, and deferred to the Prognosticator assigned to your squad. You're a soldier, not a witchhunter, and you know better than to risk succumbing to zeal and making a fatal mistake.

The transit onboard the Gilded Rider took only two months and was thankfully uneventful. Likewise, your initial landing on the planet and investigation of outlying communities was nothing noteworthy. For the better part of three weeks and tens of thousands scanned, you've seen a single positive, a frail old woman who admitted to doing palm-readings that were true far more often than they had any right to be. You personally don't think such a minor witch is worth anymore effort than a bolt to the back of the head but Chapter Master Talnior said every psyker was to be taken in, and so you'll do your duty. You and your squadmates have slowly started to settle into a smooth rhythm and relax your trigger fingers. That might've been a mistake.

It was near the end of your third week here when you ran into a problem. A four-story apartment complex on the edge of a minor, semi-urban residential district, no different from any of the dozen others you've combed through. It looked to be a simple, open-and-shut case like the last. You were approaching the entryway when an autogun roared into the air RATATATATATAT and the entire squad went on high-alert. Two seconds later, a window on the third story shattered open and a man in a local security uniform leaned out, holding an autopistol to a screaming woman's head. The barrel of your boltgun was aimed in less than a heartbeat but you caught yourself, not for fear of killing the hostage, but because the security officer's face was limp. Not a single emotion was on display, his eyes were out of focus, and he seemed on the brink of collapsing into a comatose state but his arms and hands, one around his victim's throat, one pressing an autopistol to her temple, were more still and tense than a ceramite chestplate. The Prognosticator, Telador, barked an order with panick in his voice. "GET BACK DAMNIT! GET BACK!"

The squad needed no instructions. In a matter of seconds, they funneled out and went prone, covering the building in intersecting fields of fire. You did the same and waited, boiling with anticipation, as the hostage-taker staggered back inside and a grainy, civilian vox transmission reached your helmet's communicator. After an instant's pause, you accepted and a shaky, trembling voice took on, over audible to every member of your squad. "L-Listen to me, Astartes. By the God Emperor if... i-if one of you takes another step e-ev-EVERY man, woman, and child in this building dies... DIES! I-I me-MEAN it damnit! Don't you try to sneak up on me. I can sense your minds. I can sense everyone's minds... I'm controlling them right now, th-the gunmen and- and more, they're all waiting for-... for you t-to do something. I don't want you to make a mistaaake... I just... I just..." You mute your outgoing vox to the transmitter and ask. "Teledor, what's happening here?" The Prognosticator takes a few seconds to respond. "...There's a psyker in that building. I'm getting the strongest signature I've ever sensed. It's spread throughout and focused on... I'm counting fourteen men. Minimum. All of them standing like they're armed, same as the window." You piece the situation together immediately. "By the Saints."

You transmit to the apartment. As an Astartes your mind is somewhat distant to mortal men and their needs, but you make your best attempt at talking him down. "We aren't moving. Our fingers aren't on the triggers... You're safe. For now. What is this for? Do you need food? If you submit, we can get you a sandwich-" "I don't want a FUCKING sandwich! I-I don't want any of that. No, no, NO!" You suck air between your teeth, one of the few holdouts of your humanity, and respond. "What do you want, then?" He replies and his voice is gripped by hysteria. "I just- I just don't want to die! I KNOW that's what you're going to do, I KNOW IT! Don't lie to me. You'll take me into one of your ships and execute me there, just like- like the Imperium used to, just because everyone else's mind is like an open fucking book... FUCK. I didn't want any of this!" You fallback on the default protocol. "We're only here to stop you from being a danger to yourself and others."

"You're going to kill me. I know it. I'm too powerful and after what I've done... you won't listen to me, you'll j-just... PLEASE, leave me alone! I'm begging you! I don't want to do this! I never wanted any of this!" You restrain yourself from magdumping a dozen armour-piercing, rocket-propelled, explosive rounds into the building. "What is it that you've done?" He sounds like he's crying but you have little sympathy, he could be faking it in some foolish attempt at gaining your leniency. "I-I'm a fraudster! A witch-thief! I... I'm the secretary of the regional treasurer, but I didn't get there on my own merits... No, I mind-controlled my superiors and switched their memories around to get promoted, over better qualified, better connected people, un-until I landed my job. For the last eight years I've- I've been mind-controlling public officials to steal public money t-to funnel it back to my folks... You don't understand- you don't understand what it's like. I was a manufactorum worker like my father was a manufactorum worker like his father's father was a manufactorum worker, all the way back to colonization. Twelve hours a day on a pitch-black assembly line putting parts together so that I can earn enough to feed myself so I can do it again the next day." You doubt it's any worse than things were on the blistering desert you were born on, half a galaxy away, but you keep listening. "Imagine doing that when you- when you have the power to make everyone on the floor listen to everything you say. I tried to be a good citizen for years, I really fucking did, but I got tired of it. I-I lied, cheated my way to a cushy desk job and once I got there I... started funneling kickbacks to my cousins and their kids. TH-THEY DON'T KNOW! I told them it was a- a personal bonus for ignoring the treasurer taking bribes but- but he's an honest man... More ration-cards than they could ever earn but never enough to make a dent in the tithes... pulled some strings so no-nooobody asked any questions. I made it so they could- if they put in some work maybe, do something else, anything else."

You slowly put together the implications and your jaw goes slack. If what he says is true, that he really has been using his powers for a minor embezzlement scheme, that's the psychic equivalent of using a controlled macrocannon blast to light a candle because he didn't have the brains or the funds to get a lighter. By the position of his pauldrons, you can tell Teledor is thinking the same. You communicate with the Prognosticator. "Think you could subdue him?" He takes a second. "That raw power? In that mental state? I could try but I'm not sure. I'm not sure it wouldn't backfire. This is Delta-tier. The aura is brighter than Nens Nende's, nowhere near as stable but much more than a rogue psyker of this magnitude should be. This man is dangerous. Too dangerous to risk. I reccomend we shoot him through the walls, clean the mess afterward, and have the planetary media scrub it." Your mind is racing at a breakneck speed. "If we could control him, he could be useful to the Chapter." The Prognosticator nods and keeps his boltgun aimed at the building. "You're squad commander. It's your call to make."

How do you want to handle the situation?

Psychic Duel: Teledor will try to catch him by surprise and break his control in a battle of wills.
Immediate Execution: The squad will magdump into the building at anything with a pulse. The hostages will die but at the same time the psyker will be dealt with.
Talk Him Down: He seems agitated but his lack of ambition is a sign in his favour and he might be willing to see reason.
Call In Reinforcements: Prolonging the situation for a few more hours may make him erratic but you can't handle this with a single squad.
Leave Him Alone: There's no need to risk the lives of these civilians. You'll track him down or coerce him to turn himself in later.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 02:29:24 pm by Tube Wizard »

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 19, 2022, 02:08:52 pm »

(My apologies for the late update, I've been swamped at work and more recently, distracted by the release of Total War: Warhammer 3. Thank you for your patience. Should be more consistent in the coming days.)
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34