Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34

Author Topic: Renegade Space Marine Simulator (40k)  (Read 21936 times)

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Renegade Space Marine Simulator (40k)
« on: January 29, 2022, 05:44:15 pm »

The Imperium is an incomprehensibly vast empire built on the backs of numberless trillions who have no choice but to obey. It is tyranny on a scale and of an intensity unimaginable to those from a nobler age. It, for all of its faults, claims to be mankind's only hope against a galaxy full of terrors. Between the watch of the Inquisition, steel of the Imperial Guard, and strength of the Adeptus Astartes, it has become too mighty for any one foe to defeat. However, for all of its power the Throne's authority is not absolute and there are those, whispered of in heretical silence, who've turned their backs on Terra to walk their own path. You and your battle brothers are among them.

Instead of building everything from the ground-up, we're going to leave the specifics of the Renegade Chapter a surprise to everyone involved via https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Renegade_Space_Marine_Chapter_Creation_Table

Since there's no inbuilt dice function on Bay12 we'll do something between chance and choice, I'll roll twice for each option and then you'll vote between them, until we've gone through the table and have confirmed the details. I swear by any deity you care to name these rolls are as rolled. Where the thread goes from then on will depend on who you are in the chapter but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

To start, who are the Chapter's Progenitor?

71, 9

An Ultramarines Successor, of your choice (There are many, many to choose from) (https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ultramarines)

+ Skilled, versatile All-Rounders.

+/- There might be more, depending on choice of successor.

- No innate specialization.

The Imperial Fists

+ Extremely competent at Siege Warfare

- No Betcher's Gland (acid spit) or Sus-an Membrane (suspended animation)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Renegade Space Marine Simulator (40k)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 06:07:43 pm »

Interesting.

I'm thinking either the Obsidian Jaguars or the Silver Skulls.
Jaguars don't have a whole lot on them, but they were apparently close with the Space Wolves and the pictured marine has a machete, so I think combined with their name, it's probably fair to say they're relatively melee-specced and Mesoamerican-themed. They got pretty wrecked by orks, though, and lost their homeworld as a result.
The Silver Skulls are not necessarily Ultramarine successors, but are at least listed as such. They're fleet-based, as they had to explode their homeworld to stop it from being corrupted by Nurgle. They've got ancestor worship and respect the chapter serfs. Most importantly, they're extremely pragmatic, specialize in siege warfare, and have a very powerful tradition of diviner Librarians, called Prognosticators. A prophecy that tells them they've absolutely gotta do something the Imperium really doesn't like could be a good hook for why some of them go rogue.

We could, of course, always just grab a random one of their less-defined successors and define them as we please, but I feel like we get more out of picking someone more defined. I personally like the Silver Skulls most.

(By the way, Tube, you can use the [ url ][ /url ] tags for better links. For example, "[ url=https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Renegade_Space_Marine_Chapter_Creation_Table ]Renegade Space Marine Chapter Creation Table[ /url ]" (without the added spaces) gives you the much nicer looking Renegade Space Marine Chapter Creation Table.)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 06:12:45 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 09:03:35 pm »

I was going to say Imperial Fists, but I was swayed by Glass’s suggestion of Silver Skulls.

+1 for the Silver Skulls
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 03:43:09 am »

I also shall bestow a +1 on the idea of using the Silver Skulls.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 01:52:46 pm »

(By the way, Tube, you can use the [ url ][ /url ] tags for better links. For example, "[ url=https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Renegade_Space_Marine_Chapter_Creation_Table ]Renegade Space Marine Chapter Creation Table[ /url ]" (without the added spaces) gives you the much nicer looking Renegade Space Marine Chapter Creation Table.)

Thank you! This'll come in handy.

We could, of course, always just grab a random one of their less-defined successors and define them as we please, but I feel like we get more out of picking someone more defined. I personally like the Silver Skulls most.
I was going to say Imperial Fists, but I was swayed by Glass’s suggestion of Silver Skulls.

+1 for the Silver Skulls
I also shall bestow a +1 on the idea of using the Silver Skulls.

Your Chapter is a successor (or offshoot) of The Silver Skulls, famed for their prowess at siege warfare and their savagery in combat. Formally listed as Sons of Gulliman and entrusted to serve as a Shield Chapter of Ultramar, the source of their gene-seed is shrouded in obscurity and an object of some contention. Were it not for the continued existence of you and your battle brothers, their loyalty to the Imperium would be beyond a doubt.

+ Extremely competent at Siege Warfare.

+/- Prone to savagery in close combat.

+/- Tribal warrior culture runs deep.

+/- Beholden to the prophecies of the Prognosticators.

When was their Founding? Because they're successors (or an offshoot) of a successor Chapter it by necessity must be after their Founding. However, because the Silver Skulls are a Second Founding, this can safely be ignored.

The 39th Millennium: Late in the Imperium's history, they won't have had much time to establish themselves.

The 36th Millennium: As part of the Cursed Founding, it's perhaps inevitable they would've gone Renegade.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 05:47:25 pm by Tube Wizard »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 03:06:16 pm »

CURSED FOUNDING CURSED FOUNDING CURSED FOUNDING

(Also while being beholden to the Prognosticators’ prophecies may be inconvenient at times, it’s also very useful to have skilled diviners at your disposal. Maybe make that a +/-.)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 04:53:47 pm »

+1 because the Lamenters are clearly the greatest of the Space Marine chapters and we can be like them but perhaps not quite so prone to drive failures :P
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 05:08:08 pm »

Lamenters are clearly the greatest of the Space Marine chapters
Excellent, I knew I liked you for a reason MM

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 05:17:38 pm »

+1 because the Lamenters are clearly the greatest of the Space Marine chapters and we can be like them but perhaps not quite so prone to drive failures :P

+1 sounds promising to me.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 05:35:17 pm »

Oh no it's likely to get us horribly killed in really stupid ways but I'm still voting for the Cursed Founding despite the very possibly real curse.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 05:45:51 pm »

(Also while being beholden to the Prognosticators’ prophecies may be inconvenient at times, it’s also very useful to have skilled diviners at your disposal. Maybe make that a +/-.)

(I'll admit I was torn to consider it a drawback but symmetry demanded it.)

+1 sounds promising to me.
Oh no it's likely to get us horribly killed in really stupid ways but I'm still voting for the Cursed Founding despite the very possibly real curse.

A direct descendant of The Silver Skulls, your Chapter was a part of the infamous Cursed Founding. In retrospect, it's no surprise that they rejected the Imperium.

What was the reason for their rebellion? The specifics are for you, yourselves to determine, although it might be better to wait until the Chapter is more defined before setting anything in stone.

Xenophilia: Anathema to the Imperial Creed, the Chapter did the unthinkable, growing far too close to a species of Minor Xenos for forgiveness. Soon after the Ordo Xenos uncovered the depth of their treachery, they were declared Exocommunicate Traitoris.

Cowardice in the Face of Extinction: Threatened with annihilation against an implacable foe, the Chapter shamed the very Imperium itself with their weakness or cruelty. The moment word of their heinous deeds reached the High Lords of Terra, they were declared Exocommunicate Traitoris.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 08:20:21 pm by Tube Wizard »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 05:51:44 pm »

Xenophilia. Let's not be dicks.

In other news:
AS WE WAIT, I SHALL ASK SOMETHING.
Y-yes Master?
AS THE ASTARTES FOR WHATEVER LURID REASON HAVE HAD SOMETHING LIKE 26 DIFFERENT FOUNDINGS, I DEMAND A QUESTION ANSWERED PERTAINING TO THE 21ST FOUNDING.
Ah, yes, the reputed CURSED FOUNDING.
WHY
WHY DOES SUCH PATENT SUPERSTITION RUN SO RAMPANT IN MY IMPERIUM THAT AN ENTIRE FOUNDING OF SPACE MARINE CHAPTERS IS LITERALLY LABELLED "CURSED" IN ITS OFFICIAL DESCRIPTORS, AS IF A CABAL OF FUCKING WIZARDS PUT AN EVIL SPELL ON IT.

Is that really so unlikely, Master?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2022, 05:57:04 pm »

I almost including a (less profane) version of the "cabal of wizards" line when describing why the Cursed Founding was arguably not such a great idea :P

Also, yes, +1 Xenophilia.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2022, 07:09:21 pm »

Haha I don’t think this one is a difficult choice.

+1 Xenophilia

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2022, 07:38:57 pm »

Haha I don’t think this one is a difficult choice.

+1 Xenophilia
Given a choice between being dicks and not being dicks, not being dicks should really win every time.

EDIT: I’ll also note that... Protectorates exist. Getting some minor Xenos who aren’t hostile to submit to Imperial authority is a thing that has historically happened in the setting. It’s just that nobody wants to acknowledge that fact and everybody is paranoid.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 07:41:03 pm by Glass »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34