Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34

Author Topic: Renegade Space Marine Simulator (40k)  (Read 21935 times)

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Renegade Space Marine Simulator (40k)
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2022, 12:55:30 pm »

Rookie numbers, I’m at 442 battle brothers hours. And I’m still shit at the game.

I vote lost to the warp, it synergizes with the whole boner for prophesies thing the chapter has too well for me to ignore.
I didn't even notice the defection/original member thing.

I'd say he was a "Defector", sent on a secret mission by the Chapter Master of the Silver Skulls to support us on our quest.
Yes, I like this, +1. (Or sent by a Prognosticator. Either way.)
+1 to lost to the warp.
+1 Lost to the warp.

The Figure of Legend was openly a defector from The Silver Skulls but in secret was sent to aid the Chapter, by a Prognosticator or the Chapter Master himself, possibly both in concert. He was a great warrior and a greater soldier, proving his worth time and again. Collapsing a bridge onto a nigh-invulnerable daemonhost, wrestling a raging ork warboss into submission, standing three-to-one against rival Astartes and emerging victorious... All of this and more he accomplished, before he was Lost To The Warp.

Due to his example, there's a prevailing belief that every Astartes has the potential for true glory in them, no matter their rank or past. There's an uncommon degree of respect, even reverence for the rank-and-file as well as those higher, and most of those with ambition aspire to ever-greater feats of martial prowess rather than climbing the ranks. Although a command hierarchy is unmistakably present and ironclad, in practice it is more of a curve than the pyramid in most Chapters.

What kind of Sector does the Chapter call home?

Abandoned Sector: Left to its own devices after the most important of its worlds were ravaged beyond repair and other fronts demanded the war effort, this Sector is a ruin of its former self. The few survivors of its shattered and isolated worlds are picked clean by dire threats within and without, their only consolation that the Imperium shouldn't attempt to reclaim the Sector for another century or two.

Nebula Sector: Vast, mysterious and uncharted, this Sector is teeming with unseen dangers beyond reckoning and rumors of a few rare, half-functioning relics of old that have gone untouched. Effectively a trackless frontier, the Imperium's hold over the fathomless cloud and the systems scattered within it is tenuous at best. Still, when they do come, they come in force.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 01:07:39 pm by Tube Wizard »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2022, 01:01:50 pm »

Definitely thinking Nebula Sector, after all, high-risk, high-reward. Also it just sounds more interesting than "space equivalent of a bombed-out wasteland".
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2022, 01:06:42 pm »

Nebula

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2022, 01:09:13 pm »

Nebula definitely sounds neat.

It would have been neater if we'd gotten the Stable Space Hulk option but this also works
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2022, 01:31:17 pm »

+1 on the Nebula train.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2022, 01:40:42 pm »

We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2022, 02:10:06 pm »

Definitely thinking Nebula Sector, after all, high-risk, high-reward. Also it just sounds more interesting than "space equivalent of a bombed-out wasteland".
Nebula
Nebula definitely sounds neat.

It would have been neater if we'd gotten the Stable Space Hulk option but this also works
+1 on the Nebula train.
+1

The Chapter calls a Nebula Sector home, as much out of convenience as anything else. Far safer, or at least saner, than the Eye of Terror and almost as inaccessible to the fleets of the Imperium, it was an obvious choice of refuge for the Renegades. The dangers within are merciless and terrible, and of them and the systems in the cloud you know almost nothing. The Chapter is confident the same can be said for scavengers and long-forgotten miracles of technology might lie somewhere in the depths, just waiting to be taken. No doubt at great cost.

A handful of systems on the fringe are under the Chapter's sway. How are they managing them?

Direct Rule: It is tedious to bother with mortals and their weakness, but they have strength in numbers and resources as well. Without the authority of the Imperium, the Chapter has imposed its own and runs affairs with a strict but fair hand. In exchange for the sworn fealty of these backwaters and all that they can give, the Chapter has likewise sworn to protect them. Of course, they swore to protect the Imperium too...

Raiding: Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of what amounts to watered-down promethium! The Chapter's fleet is little better than a pirate armada, just stronger man-for-man and plunders everything in reach from its hidden star-port. Whether the Astartes tell themselves they're only taking what they need or are honest about their ransacking makes little difference to the sparse population. At least if things get bad they've got nothing stopping them from packing up and leaving.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2022, 02:14:21 pm »

Definitely Direct Rule, since A. I don't want to be pirates and B. I want to be a micro-Imperium but intelligent and therefore successful.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2022, 02:19:31 pm »

Definitely Direct Rule, since A. I don't want to be pirates and B. I want to be a micro-Imperium but intelligent and therefore successful.
+1 +1 +1 +1

Query, who here has read the Knights Inductor stuff?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2022, 02:29:34 pm »

Raiding: More to be contrarian, but I feel with raiding we can be using our foresight to take what we need with the least harm and focusing on our duties might be better than directly ruling. Like we don’t have to target small farming communities, but nice fat tithing ships and greedy Rogue Traders? Seems like fair game to me. And our “prophecies” may help with picking up on good targets.

So we’d be “good” pirates ;).
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2022, 02:58:44 pm »

Raiding

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2022, 03:12:06 pm »

Direct Rule

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2022, 03:45:05 pm »

Direct Rule, remember we’re in a nebula, I doubt we’re going to have much in the area worth raiding, at least enough to sustain ourselves.

“Aw shucks Jeb, them space marine boys are back again to our little podunk planet and want to take our last astrogoat. Again.”

Edit: also, the environment is already an opponent, it might be best not to piss off or on the locals too much.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2022, 04:24:24 pm »

+1 +1 +1 +1

Query, who here has read the Knights Inductor stuff?
Direct Rule
Direct Rule, remember we’re in a nebula, I doubt we’re going to have much in the area worth raiding, at least enough to sustain ourselves.

“Aw shucks Jeb, them space marine boys are back again to our little podunk planet and want to take our last astrogoat. Again.”

Edit: also, the environment is already an opponent, it might be best not to piss off or on the locals too much.

The Chapter concluded it was better to take permanent control of these isolated systems than to take what they needed piecemeal. Some resisted, a few viciously, but it wasn't much of a fight. In the end, Direct Rule was established over these few worlds and with it, the burden of administration. It's likely that the Imperium isn't completely aware of your holdings and likely that the Administratum isn't aware they exist, but if word got out that a Chapter of Renegade Astartes were running a pocket empire there would surely be hell to pay.

The Chapter has rejected the Imperium and with it, the restrictions of the Codex Astartes. A shift of tactics was perhaps inevitable. What is the Chapter's combat doctrine?

Feral Xenos: The Chapter relies heavily on a stock of bestial Xenos claimed from a particularly inhospitable rock. Monstrous beyond measure, the Chapter has found a way to break them, and use them frequently in all aspects of warfare. These are vicious animals, able to kill an armored Space Marine with some difficulty, let alone a mere man. Of course, they aren't the most predictable creatures and much attention has to be spent keeping them battle-ready.

Auxiliaries: The Chapter has taken advantage of its territorial holdings and fields multitudes of lesser warriors in battle. If one-hundred men would take a battlement with mass casualties where a squad of Astartes would have a two percent chance of death or injury, they see little need to take it themselves. Not callous, they consider it better to spend their lives where necessary. They may be conscripts pressganged into service, trained volunteers zealous to win victories, or even a force of the Xenos the Chapter abandoned the Imperium for.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34