Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34

Author Topic: Renegade Space Marine Simulator (40k)  (Read 21944 times)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Renegade Space Marine Simulator (40k)
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2022, 10:31:38 pm »

I would say some sort of regeneration is a strong contender, but it would also be very cool if we could recruit women into the Chapter's ranks.

I like the idea of some sort of flesh mending, but also want to propose this:

Earthshakers
The Chapter should be trained extensively in the operation of the artillery we have on hand and the tactics to best take advantage of bombardment of all types. Everyone loves artillery.

I wouldn't mind specializing in some sort of weaponry, but I feel artillery is more the Guard's thing, and not as well suited to Space Marine's more limited deployments.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2022, 10:48:11 pm »

Don't forget our auxiliary forces though! It could be that they learn how to use the guns and the sphess muhreens do the sexy fighting near sexy explosions all sexy-like.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2022, 10:49:36 pm »

Some possibilities I'll toss out for consideration:

Riflemen
The Battle Brothers of this chapter specialize in the use of auto bolt rifles as an all-purpose weapon - they allow for rapid unloading of highly-accurate bolter fire, and are overall some of the most reliable firearms available to an Astartes. Furthermore, their expertise in these relatively simple weapons allow these soldiers to train their auxiliaries in the use of similar - if not Astartes-grade - weapons with relative ease.

Duelists
No Battle Brother of this chapter would ever be found without their power swords - and with good reason. They are masters of the blade, making strikes with expert precision to slip through weak points in enemy armor, and with the skills to exploit any mistakes their enemy might make.

Every Human's Right
The geneseed alteration this chapter made isn't immediately apparent, not even if you took one of their Battle Brothers and cut them open. Well, half of them. Indeed, it is not the marines who have been altered, but rather the range of their recruits. This chapter's geneseed, in fact, is compatible with both men and women, allowing any human to qualify for and join the ranks of these Astartes.

The Right of All Sapient Beings
One of the Prognosticators has been raving about how this was a mistake. I assure you, they were all for it while we were working on the project, but they simply will not shut up now. No matter; the deed is done. We intend to give all species who might live harmoniously equal opportunity, and now, we have taken possibly the greatest step toward truly doing so. We will be called heretics, but that was already the case. Now, anybody who might aspire, no matter their species, might join our ranks as one of the Astartes.

What doesn't kill you...
...can be brushed off, given a few minutes. We have done some work editing a few of our organs - in particular, the Biscopea, the Larraman's Organ, and the Sus-an Membrane. The first grants us our increased muscle growth, the second closes our wounds, and the third puts us into suspended animation when wounded... or, rather. That's what they did. Now, in concert, these organs can allow any one of us to recover from any injury that is not swiftly fatal, at least if given some time. We might still be knocked out for the duration of the immediate firefight, but we will likely once more be ready for action soon thereafter.
(Yes I went and looked at the actual Space Marine extra organs to figure out which ones would be most applicable to making us heal fast.)
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2022, 11:06:26 pm »

EDIT: The Discord server in question, by the way.

I've already answered your and crazyabe's questions in the discord channel but I'll address them here for posterity.

1. Would it be possible for the geneseed modification to make it so that women could be made Marines?

1. Would it be possible for the geneseed modification to make it so that women could be made Marines?

I'm going to say that, by cutting some corners, you can significantly widen the gene-seed's compatibility, which would encompass women as well. The Emperor's supposed reason for not allowing female marines was to prevent them from reproducing outside of the gene-seed, so the Chapter would have to subvert the lack of a Y chromosome, which would be possible through extensive gene therapy on select aspirants beforehand. This would effectively be an additional stage of the recruitment process and the gene-seed modification itself, by directly circumventing the extremely intricate default gene-seed blueprint, as it were, would have some serious cross-sex drawbacks. You'd have a choice of several and they'd be possible to overcome, over time, but it would be a serious investment of time and resources. This is also heresy but only of the severity that would get people assuming the Chapter were affiliated with Chaos. Of course, that's the default assumption for anyone fucking with gene-seed.

2. Would it be possible for the geneseed modification to make it so that aliens could be made Marines?

Given that the Emperor was a hardline xenophobe and went so far as to specifically encode a murderous hate for the xenos into space marines by default, I'm going to give a tentative no. In females you're operating from a fundamentally human genetic template and that can be worked around, but there's no guarantee an alien has a DNA helix. Of course, through extreme research, you very well could make a Gland Warrior equivalent for xenos, or tweak the baseline gene-seed into something approaching functionality, but if word were to get out that Renegades were implanating xenos with holy gene-seed, this would be in the High Lords of Terra calling in some favours, tier of heresy.

3. Would it be possible for the geneseed modification to make it so that anything with a pulse could be made Marines?

Not quite but as the Dark Eldar have demonstrated repeatedly, a dripfeed of hyper-steroids and radical gene-therapy can go a very long way.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2022, 11:23:11 pm »

A few from myself

Feeling a bit green
the addition of a few... choice bits of Ork DNA, have resulted in the marines of this chapter being made significantly harder to kill

Weapon: Bare fists
The battle brothers of this chapter are well accustomed to brutalizing their foes with just their fists, seemingly taking joy in the fact that they are never without a pair of lethal weapons.

Weapon: Explosives
The battle brothers of this chapter have a thing for explosions, it might be an obsession- it might be a skill- whatever it is they are good at making things go *boom*.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2022, 11:30:17 pm »

Feeling a bit green
the addition of a few... choice bits of Ork DNA, have resulted in the marines of this chapter being made significantly harder to kill
+1

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2022, 11:36:43 pm »

Every Human's Right
The geneseed alteration this chapter made isn't immediately apparent, not even if you took one of their Battle Brothers and cut them open. Well, half of them. Indeed, it is not the marines who have been altered, but rather the range of their recruits. This chapter's geneseed, in fact, is compatible with both men and women, allowing any human to qualify for and join the ranks of these Astartes.
Let's go with this one, and also let's not be orks.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2022, 11:51:53 pm »

Riflemen
The Battle Brothers of this chapter specialize in the use of auto bolt rifles as an all-purpose weapon - they allow for rapid unloading of highly-accurate bolter fire, and are overall some of the most reliable firearms available to an Astartes. Furthermore, their expertise in these relatively simple weapons allow these soldiers to train their auxiliaries in the use of similar - if not Astartes-grade - weapons with relative ease.

So I know it's kind of. . .  pedestrian compared to some of the wilder options, but having every Battle Brother being masters or on their way to mastery with the bolt gun would be very useful. Fielding the best shooters around, particularly when we have limited medics, would be very useful.

Could also be convinced to go for Devestator weapons, or the regeneration. Hard choice, but for now:

Traditional Weapon: Bolt Rifle +1
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2022, 11:56:17 pm »

Riflemen

So I know it's kind of. . .  pedestrian compared to some of the wilder options, but having every Battle Brother being masters or on their way to mastery with the bolt gun would be very useful. Fielding the best shooters around, particularly when we have limited medics, would be very useful.

Could also be convinced to go for Devestator weapons, or the regeneration. Hard choice, but for now:

Sure, yes, not orks. Let's go with this for now.
This or being able to accept any human applicants. But for now, this.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2022, 11:58:11 pm »

Riflemen

Sure, yes, not orks. Let's go with this for now.
This or being able to accept any human applicants. But for now, this.
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2022, 11:59:51 pm »

And now as there are currently more votes for Riflemen than for orks I will tentatively switch my vote to accepting all humans.
If that one isn't in the lead, please put this down as a Riflemen vote rather than just removing it. That one's my second choice.

EDIT: A breakdown of riflemen versus increased acceptance:
Riflemen, ultimately, is probably a kind of all-across-the-board decent buff. Rifles are pretty basic, but that means that being very good at them can be very helpful, and is just generally a decent skill edge to have. It doesn't help where specialty stuff is needed, but there's few combat situations where being good with rifles isn't at least somewhat helpful. It would also make our auxiliaries stronger, as their skill with rifles would also be increased. In general: large-scale benefits, albeit probably relatively small ones. Essentially, gives our quantities higher quality.
Accepting all humans, meanwhile, gives us a few benefits. First, being able to accept women doubles our potential recruit count. Second, it more broadly implies a more stable, "acceptable" geneseed - which, as we're already of either Ultramarine or Iron Warrior stock, both of whom already had extremely stable geneseed, this would allow us to essentially choose any humans for uplifting to be Astartes, allowing us to either go for far higher quantities of Astartes or pick out specific people who are already much more awesome. Essentially, gives our qualities either more quantity or more quality.
The options boil down to "do we want to upgrade our large forces, our elite forces, or our balanced forces?"
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 12:07:47 am by Glass »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2022, 12:02:08 am »

If ork marines is definitely going to fail, I'd rather have a weapon (any weapon) than allow women to have jobs.

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2022, 12:23:40 am »

+1 to the rifles, i think being good at shooting xenos is better than more numbers
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2022, 12:39:51 am »

If ork marines is definitely going to fail, I'd rather have a weapon (any weapon) than allow women to have jobs.

+1 to women having jobs
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2022, 01:20:04 am »

+1 to the rifles, i think being good at shooting xenos is better than more numbers
"I guess I gotta get all funky if I'm gonna make this work."-Stretch Armstrong
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 34