Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34

Author Topic: Renegade Space Marine Simulator (40k)  (Read 21931 times)

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Renegade Space Marine Simulator (40k)
« Reply #135 on: February 01, 2022, 04:56:31 pm »

...I’d rather have the orks fighting us than the weight of the Imperium, but I’m very worried about the potential endpoint of this conflict.
Well, the good thing about Orks is that they're a pain in the ass to kill all of. So that could buy us some time while we turn our alliance with the tyranids into, well, an actual fucking alliance. Or we figure out a good way to deal with them after their sudden but inevitable betrayal. At the same time, fighting a loyalist chapter will let us loot their gear to make up for what we lack, and we could theoretically loot gene seed in order to have more space marines available.
Loyalist Space Marines for better loot and stealable gene seed
Ninjaed.
Orks +1

Was just about to vote Loyalist Chalter, but we are going Direct Control. If we get into a straight fight against the Imperium, we are going to lose.

We aren’t set up for hit and runs, we fight like the Imperium does. We have so, so, so much less material than they do. We might win a few battles, but they know what we control.

Best to fight the Orks for now, save the Loyalists for when we bulk up some more.

ORK +1, we may be allied with nids but at least the orcs should feed them for a bit and keep them off of us
Sure, orks
Sounds like it’s loyalist orks then. You know, orks that think they’re part of the imperium for some reason and roleplay as humies in exaggerated ork fashion
I vote for this specifically.
Orks wielding orkified space marine gear and praise emps as da height of orkiness.

The Chapter's enemies are an Orkish WAAAAAAAGH or... a "Kroozade," as they call it. For reasons beyond reckoning, the Orkz on the edge of this Nebula have structured themselves into a parody of the Imperial warmachine, with gretchin guardorkz, ork troopas backed by kommizars, and a core of giganob mareens, dressed to look the part as well as they can manage and dedicated to stomping out herezy in the name of the Empragh and their Chapta Masta. More terrifying is that they seem to be taking it seriously and unlike a normal mob, are almost halfway to disciplined. They are a tremendous danger. The only thing keeping them in check are the tyranids and their clashes with lesser bands of more traditional orkz in their effort to get their Kroozade off the ground.

That's it for the table. I'm going to summarize the results far, then generate the Chapter's holdings so that we can get into the nitty gritty on the details.

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2022, 05:16:17 pm »

The Renegade Chapter So Far...

The Chapter are successors of The Silver Skulls that diverged during the Cursed Founding.

The Chapter was declared Exocommunicate Traitoris soon after their heresy of Xenophilia was discovered, interacting with a species of Xenos for any reason but to purge them.

The Chapter reveres a Battle Brother of The Silver Skulls 9th company, 10th squad, who "defected" to their cause and committed many great deeds before he was Lost To The Warp.

The Chapter has taken refuge in a Nebula Sector, a swathe of uncharted space teeming with nightmarish danger and the rumors of rare, half-functioning miracles of the Dark Age of Technology that might lie somewhere within.

The Chapter has carved out a territory consisting of a handful of fringe systems which they hold under Direct Rule and rely on in battle, in the form of massed Auxiliaries.

The Chapter's structure has remained unchanged since they abandoned the Imperium, functioning as a Rogue Military with significant strategic flexibility.

The Chapter has lost its Apothecaries due to casualties among key personnel during their breakaway and the efficiency of their gene-seed extraction and implantation has suffered greatly.

The Chapter was too new when it went Renegade to have a store of Artificer Armour to draw on and as of yet has none.

The Chapter, despite its shortcomings, has fostered a deep martial culture of the Bolter Rifle and revere its tactical versatility, so that almost to an Astartes, they have utterly mastered its use and use it often.

The Chapter has, in despite of its lack of Apothecaries, recovered from its losses and reached Nominal strength of 10 full companies, a match for any but the most numerous Loyalist Chapters.

The Chapter has no outspoken goals, instead following The Unknown Agenda of its Prognosticators and taking advantage of opportunities where they can.

The Chapter has, in a fluke, become "allies" with a Tyranid Splinter Fleet by merit of sharing the same enemies, in the Imperium and to a greater degree, the Orkish Kroozade of Orkz who are either convinced they're Loyalists or mimicking the aesthetic, that is hell-bent on krumpin' the Chapter for its herezy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 12:23:02 am by Tube Wizard »

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2022, 05:49:42 pm »

These are the tables we'll be using to generate your burgeoning empire. They're crude but should be serviceable. Remember that even the maximum possible result is a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the Imperium's total mass.

Quote from: Number of Systems (1d12)
[1-2] Petty- 1d3
[3-4] Small- 2d3
[5-6] Modest- 2d6
[7-8] Sprawling- 2d12
[9-10] Enormous- 2d20
[11-12] Gargantuan- 2d20+reroll and add result

Quote from: System Density (1d12)
[1] 1 planets
[2-3] 1d2 planets
[4-5] 1d3 planets
[6-7] 1d4 planets
[8-9] 1d6 planets
[10-11] 1d8 planets
[12] 1d10 planets

Quote from:  Planet Life (1d100)
[1-80] Dead World
[81-100] Living World

Quote from:  Living World Type (1d100)
[1-10] Death World
[11-30] Feral World
[31-60] Feudal World
[61-80] Civilized World
[81-85] Agri World
[86-90] Garrison World
[91-100] Xenos World

For the sake of expediency, and immersion, these'll be take-it-as-it-falls, and from there we'll flesh them out- in the loosest possible respect- and detail the Chapter until we deem it's ready, then we'll start the game proper.

Regarding the xenos that caused the Chapter to go Renegade, that's wide-open but earlier today I made a table that you could use to determine their details, if anyone wanted to risk leaving it to chance. These would be rolled similarly to the Chapter, albeit likely with faster votes.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 07:51:48 pm by Tube Wizard »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2022, 06:11:14 pm »

I'd be happy to roll for xenos traits with options, like we've been doing.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2022, 06:47:42 pm »

Trust the plan and let fate guide us.

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2022, 06:48:36 pm »

How many systems does the Chapter control?

12, 4

Their territory is Gargantuan by separatist standards, almost straining the term of pocket empire.

In total, the Chapter controls 22 systems and will likely have its hands full getting them sorted out. I'll generate these systems one-by-one.

Quote from:  System #1
11- 5 planets
84,78,57,52,11- 4 Dead Worlds, 1 Living World
Planet 1/1- 32- Feudal World

Quote from:  System #2
2- 2 planets
14,52- 2 Dead Worlds

Quote from:  System #3
5- 3 planets
70,61,50- 3 Dead Worlds

Quote from:  System #4
2- 1 planet
52- 1 Dead World

Quote from:  System #5
8- 5 planets
76,39,1,83,84- 3 Dead Worlds, 2 Living Worlds
Planet 5/4- 14- Feral World
Planet 5/5- 61- Civilized World

Quote from:  System #6
5- 3 planets
46,75,45- 3 Dead Worlds

Quote from:  System #7
6- 3 planets
67,99,97- 1 Dead World, 2 Living Worlds
Planet 7/2- 99- Xenos World
Planet 7/3- 15- Feral World

Quote from:  System #8
2- 2 planets
52,41- 2 Dead Worlds

Quote from:  System #9
10- 3 planets
28,77,51- 3 Dead Worlds

Quote from:  System #10
8- 6 planets
46,85,1,65,44,73- 4 Dead Worlds, 1 Living World
Planet 10/2- 99- Xenos World

Quote from:  System #11
6- 1 planet
49- 1 Dead World

Quote from:  System #12
2- 1 planet
29- 1 Dead World

Quote from:  System #13
7- 4 planets
25,14,88,14- 3 Dead Worlds, 1 Living World
Planet 13/3- 22- Feral World

Quote from:  System #14
10- 5 planets
3,85,35,87,55- 3 Dead Worlds, 2 Living Worlds
Planet 14/2- 10- Death World
Planet 14/4- 34- Feudal World

Quote from:  System #15
7- 1 planet
74- 1 Dead World

Quote from:  System #16
11- 8 planets
20,85,77,59,92,27,16,9- 6 Dead Worlds, 2 Living Worlds
Planet 16/2- 28- Feral World
Planet 16/5- 3- Feudal World

Quote from:  System #17
1- 1 planet
50- 1 Dead World

Quote from:  System #18
1- 1 planet
41- 1 Dead World

Quote from:  System #19
3- 2 planets
31,54- 2 Dead Worlds

Quote from:  System #20
8- 1 planet
37- 1 Dead World

Quote from:  System #21
2- 1 planet
52- 1 Dead World

Quote from:  System #22
2- 1 planet
49- 1 Dead World

Altogether, the Chapter holds 4 Feral Worlds, 3 Feudal Worlds, 2 Xeno Worlds, 1 Civilized World, and 1 Death World. The rest of the Chapter's 60 planet, 22 system empire are Dead Worlds, 49 of them in total.

The galaxy is not a very hospitable place and those that have managed to survive struggle to endure. The light of civilization flickers dim on the Nebula fringe.

Now that the empire is set, a choice is necessary.

Is the Chapter Fleet-based or does it possess a Homeworld?

If the Chapter is Fleet-based it receives an additional Battle Barge, to the 1d2 it already has by virtue of being at maximum Nomimal strength, one of the most durable vessels known to mankind, but if it's destroyed, the Chapter will struggle to rebuild.

If the Chapter has a Homeworld one, not necessarily habitable, planet of your choice will receive a Fortress-Monastery, a teeming, technologically-equivalent citadel and star port that's been dug into somewhere already naturally defensible and armed to the teeth on top of that. It will be hell to siege and take from orbit or the ground, but if lost, the Chapter will struggle to rebuild.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 06:50:19 pm by Tube Wizard »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2022, 06:57:15 pm »

I feel like we would be best-served to take a homeworld.

Now, the question is: is it the Death World, the Civilized World, one of the Xeno Worlds, or one of the others? (I'm inclined toward one of the three categories I named, Feudal and Feral worlds just don't measure up as well in my opinion.)

Between the Xeno world systems, I think I like 7 more than 10, due to providing easy access to another living world. That said, both the Death World and Civilized World also have that advantage, and with more dead worlds to mine, too.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2022, 06:58:25 pm »

Let’s have the homeworld be the death world. It just makes sense. We have auxiliary forces, we have an “alliance” with xenos, might as well have our planet’s environment kill things for us too

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 01, 2022, 07:04:02 pm »

Have you read Embers in the Dusk?
If our Death World is anything like Avernus, I think I might be 100% for it. A civilized-death world would be more or less ideal for our purposes with the auxiliaries. But if it's more like a feral-death world, it seems like it's less useful to us.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 01, 2022, 07:07:05 pm »

We could always just truck our victims slaves auxiliary forces in to give em hardcore training

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2022, 07:39:00 pm »

Anyway, could we get the aliens rolled before we make our decision?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2022, 07:49:06 pm »

Feudal is also a decent choice imo. You have established systems of power in place, but the inhabitants still don't really pose a threat.

Maybe want to roll our xenos species and then do xenos world though.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2022, 07:58:17 pm »

I'd be happy to roll for xenos traits with options, like we've been doing.
Trust the plan and let fate guide us.
Anyway, could we get the aliens rolled before we make our decision?
Feudal is also a decent choice imo. You have established systems of power in place, but the inhabitants still don't really pose a threat.

Maybe want to roll our xenos species and then do xenos world though.

Very well. We'll go ahead and see what Xenos are currently inhabiting planet 7/2 and possibly planet 10/2 as well, depending.

Humanoid: Disconcertingly familiar, these creatures could pass for human at a glance or with significant cosmetics. These are, in theory, easier to tolerate and the Imperium purges these rare horrors with all the more zeal for it.

Molluscoid: Reminiscent of Terra's seafaring life, these creatures can cover a wide range of forms, from annelids to squid-analogues, or even near-crustaceans. Their visage is usually offputting but that's to be expected from the Xenos.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2022, 07:59:56 pm »

Humanoid, why not. Easier to adapt tech for them.

EDIT: From Discord, RedJive wanted it known that they're also voting for Humanoids.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 08:26:51 pm by Glass »

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2022, 08:00:52 pm »

+1 for homeworld
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34