Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23

Author Topic: Dominions 5 Round 05 - Finished, Na'Ba victorious  (Read 29683 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5 Round 05 - Started
« Reply #300 on: May 16, 2022, 07:03:46 pm »

Amazing how many more extension requests come in, now that Euchre "Snooze" Jack is gone!

How's my former kingdom doing?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 16, 2022, 07:16:41 pm »

AI Mictlan killed a few of Phelegras raiding giants and took back a chunk of land and took the big army out of your southern coastal fort, abandoning it  to Phelegra in order to join with a forces from the capital lead by the god which is now standing in the middle of mictlan. Phelegra pulled their giants back to support the main army and bring up more and will probably soon siege the capital, I'm not sure if the big Mictlan stack can make it back to attempt defend the capital or if it'll just fall with a whimper. Also don't really know what Mictlan is planning on doing with the big stack. Maybe they don't care about their capital.

AI Mictlan also attacked me and I took west Mictlan.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 07:18:15 pm by Criptfeind »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 16, 2022, 07:30:00 pm »

Enjoy the Witches! I had fun with them, even twiceformed a few.  But they're not coming back now!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 16, 2022, 09:38:59 pm »

12h extension, please?

Pushed.

Pushed twice as much as requested, actually, b/c the server said it did it, but it wasn't updated on the page or the admin log when I checked, so I did it again - at which point it immediately updated. Ofc. *sigh*
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 09:42:25 pm by E. Albright »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 16, 2022, 11:02:49 pm »

Buy One Extension, Get One FREE.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 18, 2022, 05:56:21 am »

Should we perhaps end the game?

More than half of the remaining nations are either in AI mode or stalling. E.A. said his Ys is pretty much done for, and I've been rapidly losing interest these past few turns.
I think Criptifiend is going to win anyway. His path to victory was well fought over on the Ysian front, so I don't think he'd feel dissatisfied. All that's left is some busy work.
I'm happy to concede defeat myself.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 18, 2022, 10:55:47 am »

I agree with ending it. Not enough people playing. No need to force ourselves to draw a game out with interest dead/dying.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 18, 2022, 04:36:27 pm »

As Criptfiend achieves final victory, I feel it most fitting to declare myself Second Place in the Dominions contest.  :P

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 18, 2022, 11:28:17 pm »

Game terminated. It's felt like a forgone conclusion to me for ~20-25 turns, so I'm certainly not going to argue for delaying what feels inevitable when we're down to three players still regularly submitting turns.

Cryptfiend, given your early advanced state of research, you never should have let me steal the Death-mage mercenaries I did. I can't imagine you didn't have access to Twiceborn by the time I bought that first one out from under you, and I'm fairly certain you came to regret letting me pick up Urkivel and his vaetti given what I ended up doing with reliable Death access. Twiceborn letting you keep mercs after they die once would be strong enough, but given that you get to keep them AND their troops if you promise the still-living boss eternal life, hiring a living Death mage and not immediately Twiceborning them just seems like a grievous error. I focused my research directly towards Ech4 after I suicided that first necromancer so any more Death mercs would be permanent acquisitions, and given how low the bar is to break into Death, that investment paid off enormously. I just wish I'd've been able to afford empowering my subverted troll shaman with Earth so I could have started cranking out Shademail to overcome the fatal lack of stealth on my elven riders. Enh, the RNG giveth and taketh away, and this game it definitely didn't want to giveth me a worthwhile Earth income. Them's the breaks.

(I still feel like Twiceborning mercs is a bit exploity, but it got reported a long time ago and the devs didn't seem to think so, and it does make a certain amount of thematic sense since Twiceborn specifically requires a pretender's dominion in order for it to work, sooooo...)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 11:45:58 pm by E. Albright »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 18, 2022, 11:49:17 pm »

and this game it definitely didn't want to giveth me a worthwhile Earth income. Them's the breaks.

And if you have outright invaded my territory, you would have gotten that worthwhile Earth Income.  Oh well.  :P

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 19, 2022, 03:48:11 am »

Lord, did I dislike this non-wraparound map. With toroidal worlds, you can always find >some< way to check any player's progress, or threaten most thrones. Here, I saw where I was on turn 1, and pretty much resigned myself to being passive.
I mean, in some way, being in the boondocks like that helped me stay in the game this long, seeing how I had no good strategy for how to play Phlegra (and had I been invaded by one of the more focused nations I'd probably just fold). But having no options (or threats, or little reason for diplomacy) was no fun overall.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 19, 2022, 03:54:09 am »

Lord, did I dislike this non-wraparound map. With toroidal worlds, you can always find >some< way to check any player's progress, or threaten most thrones. Here, I saw where I was on turn 1, and pretty much resigned myself to being passive.
I mean, in some way, being in the boondocks like that helped me stay in the game this long, seeing how I had no good strategy for how to play Phlegra (and had I been invaded by one of the more focused nations I'd probably just fold). But having no options (or threats, or little reason for diplomacy) was no fun overall.
Eh, I think you figured them out eventually!

Granted, those early wars are sort of how you do that.  I was picking fights earlyish just to get some real combat experience, and it wasn't enough.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 19, 2022, 06:50:33 am »

Cryptfiend, given your early advanced state of research, you never should have let me steal the Death-mage mercenaries I did. I can't imagine you didn't have access to Twiceborn by the time I bought that first one out from under you, and I'm fairly certain you came to regret letting me pick up Urkivel and his vaetti given what I ended up doing with reliable Death access. Twiceborn letting you keep mercs after they die once would be strong enough, but given that you get to keep them AND their troops if you promise the still-living boss eternal life, hiring a living Death mage and not immediately Twiceborning them just seems like a grievous error. I focused my research directly towards Ech4 after I suicided that first necromancer so any more Death mercs would be permanent acquisitions, and given how low the bar is to break into Death, that investment paid off enormously. I just wish I'd've been able to afford empowering my subverted troll shaman with Earth so I could have started cranking out Shademail to overcome the fatal lack of stealth on my elven riders. Enh, the RNG giveth and taketh away, and this game it definitely didn't want to giveth me a worthwhile Earth income. Them's the breaks.

So, couple of things here. First, I got a event spawned necromancer early on so I didn't need death mercenaries to break into death so keeping them was a low priority, I should have suicided him into a throne though just to deny others yes (although that would have cost me a round of income). And I didn't have enchantment 4 at that point (I got it a couple of turns after you stole the troll mercenary) Making Malikah into light SCs at that point was my goal and that took my research priorities in other directions (which worked out, I killed C'tis almost entirely with 4 Malikah and Abyssia stopped attacking me after I killed one of his armies with one Malikah.) A big thing that informed my research priories is I had a hell blessed Abyssia as a neighbor and flaming arrows is totally useless against them. So enchantment was really kneecapped compared to normal early priorities.

Also to be honest, I feel like he did almost nothing for you?

5-6 bane venom charms. Do you know how many people died of plague in my army?

1 person.

And all my important mages I had cast Pyre of Catharsis after I killed your plague scouts, which, I guess is sorta annoying and expensive but less expensive then the death gems you put into the bane venom charms. Also of course all the foot soldiers were doomed (don't care about them, it's for the best tbh) and maybe some people died in fights from having low hp. But bane venom charms aren't a "I'm going to win this war." expense. They are either a you're loosing the war and want to weaken your enemy in the pretty far future or you just want to be a completely asymmetric asshole. If you want to win a war you're actually fighting you can't maybe have a chance to kill a mage 20 turns in the future, you gota kill them before they take 3 of your forts and kill a bunch of your stuff.

Yeah honestly Valanis is a terrible map :P. The lack of ability for distant people to interact with each other is one of the reasons. Combine that with the terrible cave and water system too and it's probably from a game play perspective one of the worst maps I've played on. Still, it's sometimes fun to play bad maps. I had fun overall, although fighting a underwater nation as a land nation is a highly not fun experience, probably over all the worst issue dominions has imo. But that's why I did it, once I realized that there was a bit of a gap in the game between my position and the others I took it upon myself so the rest of you could focus on each other and not worry about Ys :P

Edit: Also yeah, the people in the north had a very rough situation with the throne positions.

Edit 2: I'm sure no one else will find this interesting, but my capital this game had (as of the last turn) an income of 873 gold per turn. Which is I think the highest single province income I've ever seen. Certainly is on turn 56
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 07:01:20 am by Criptfeind »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 19, 2022, 07:48:44 am »

How did you get the income this high? Growth scales alone shouldn't be able to do it, right?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 19, 2022, 07:55:33 am »

Growth 3 + naba gets a capital site (the vault of incense and Marvels) that gives a bonus 100 gold and I have trade winds up (dropped 80 air gems putting trade winds in my capital and in C'tis (C'tis is worth 672 gold which is decent although I've deffo seen higher from caps in longer games) Still not sure if it was worth it, but I got a lot of gold from it).
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23