Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: House Sorlaria Ship Design Bureau (Design Phase, year 0.4 ISC)  (Read 3417 times)

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
Re: House Sorlaria Ship Design Bureau (Design Phase, year 0.1 ISC)
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2022, 10:51:45 am »

Alright, difficulty checks for all of Asea's proposals. The difficulty is somewhat subjective and will vary based on your experience in an area and the complexity of a task; these are guidelines.

Spoiler: Components (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Edit: forgot to add the Foot-class partrolship.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 11:20:19 am by Iris »
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2022, 04:13:33 pm »

Your difficulty table looks odd to me, since easy designs have twice the chance of giving breakthroughs.
Does the research difficulty relate to the industrial difficulty at all?
Can we kludge civilian components into a ship design if needed? Using a random assortment of civilian engines and propulsion might be useful if we want to start with basic carriers and put more research into parasite components.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2022, 04:23:06 pm »

The Difficulty of a design is not directly related to the final result's Complexity Rating, but a poor roll is more likely to push up the Complexity Rating compared to a good roll.

House Sorlaria's civilian industry is in just as much difficulty as the military industry - borrowing designs is possible, but will likely result in high Complexity Ratings (as they are not being manufactured locally).

Ninja edit:

Your difficulty table looks odd to me, since easy designs have twice the chance of giving breakthroughs.
Does the research difficulty relate to the industrial difficulty at all?
Can we kludge civilian components into a ship design if needed? Using a random assortment of civilian engines and propulsion might be useful if we want to start with basic carriers and put more research into parasite components.

On further inspection, you're right. I'll consider whether to amend the Easy table.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 04:37:40 pm by Iris »
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2022, 04:50:38 pm »

A few edits have had to be made, mostly where I didn't actually say how many missiles fit in a pod or most of any of the design for the Rock... I also have some slightly longer-term designs im going to add in here

And now, those designs I promised

Spoiler: Upgrade Steam Turbines (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aetherturbine (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Countermeasures (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 05:25:22 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2022, 08:26:22 am »

Okay, so. First things first: power and propulsion. Everything else is secondary.
Basics Powerplant Family: Easy. Steam engines are very simple and the most complicated part is phlogiston chemistry and electricity generation.
Propellers: Easy. Just a copy of designs already in use, and the design poses no significant engineering challenge.
We could do these two, and be fairly confident of getting decent kit, leaving us with plenty of design actions to spend on other tech (sensors, weapons, etc). It would also probably be relatively cheap stuff. (Let's call these tier-one tech)
An alternative option would be to do something a bit more experimental- target of Normal/Difficult (tier-two tech, as it were). If such a project succeeds, then we'd be skipping a tier, which would save actions in the long run. However, if they fail, we'd have to spend a second action to fix them (at the end of the day we'd still be spending two actions for tier-two tech, though). And it would probably be more expensive.

I could see going down either path. I think I'll write up designs for the second option, to get a difficulty check if nothing else.

E: Okay, I dunno if I went too far off the rails with this one. It may conflict with existing lore, for all I know. Iris, plausibility/difficulty check please:

Enlightened Propeller:
Long live House Sorlaria! Now that we are free from the repressive yoke of House Nitidid, we can finally unleash the true potential of our greatest minds! After a brief recovery period, our technology will far outshine that produced by the conservative engineers we left behind. Take a propeller. It's just a propeller, right? Not much that can be done to improve it, right? Wrong! Just look at the hominid designs- so much less efficient than our own ducted propellers. Why shouldn't it be possible to improve even further?
Aetheric currents are the topic of much speculation. Where do they come from? Why do they flow the way they do? Eccentric scholars of House Sorlaria have studied this phenomenon, and while they can't answer every question, they believe they have uncovered a relevant piece of the puzzle. They believe the currents are created by the stars, specifically the interference of two (or more) stellar frequencies. The discordance is unnoticeable to all but the most sensitive electronics, but the Aether is affected, creating currents. They can't quite explain why, or indeed predict what effect any particular confluence of frequencies will have, but the basic idea- that interference between two stellar frequencies can cause Aetheric motion- is enough to start with, the rest is just trial and error.
An Enlightened Propeller system consists of a standard ducted propeller, but the blades are coated with a special non-reflective paint. Then there are two 'stellar frequency projectors' (a contraption of mirrors, lenses, and various electric (heat/light/uv)lamps) that shine on the propeller, carefully calibrated so the interference between the two beams happens on the propeller itself. The intended effect is for the propeller blades to interact more strongly with Aether, giving greater thrust than an unenlightened propeller of the same size and strength. Though the frequency projectors require a non-trivial amount of power themselves, overall the system is expected to be considerably more efficient.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 01:32:50 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2022, 01:30:02 pm »

Alright, difficulty check.

Enlightened Propeller: Difficult. While the basic principles are sound, the combination of exotic physics and projected mechanical complexity make the proposal much more challenging to design than a simple electric ducted propeller.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2022, 07:05:48 am »

Right, well. I'm going to suggest doing one Easy and one Difficult design. That way we have a shot at getting some more advanced stuff, but don't run the risk of messing up two designs.

Quote from: Votebox
Basics Powerplant Family: (1) NUKE9.13
Enlightened Propeller: (1) NUKE9.13

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2022, 10:46:30 am »

Works fer me.
Basics Powerplant Family: (2) NUKE9.13, AseaHeru
Enlightened Propeller: (2) NUKE9.13, AseaHeru
Highly Opinionated Fool

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2022, 01:15:28 pm »

Basics Powerplant Family: (3) NUKE9.13, AseaHeru, Rockeater
Enlightened Propeller: (3) NUKE9.13, AseaHeru, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2022, 02:37:22 pm »

Basics Powerplant Family: (4) NUKE9.13, AseaHeru, Rockeater, Kashyyk
Enlightened Propeller: (4) NUKE9.13, AseaHeru, Rockeater, Kashyyk

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2022, 03:26:22 pm »

Alright, this seems to be a solid lead. Votes are locked, I'll roll and do a writeup.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2022, 04:12:06 pm »

Basics Powerplant Family:
Easy: 3 (As Expected)

The Basics Powerplant Family is several steam engine setups all sharing a common design: several water-tube boilers firing phlogiston-enhanced oil, a steam engine with a design roughly comparable to hominid examples, and an electrical generator. They are quite easy to construct and are reasonably efficient - a side effect of the boilers and fuel more than the piston engine, which is a simple triple-expansion design - but lack in power-to-weight ratio compared to other, more advanced options. Uniflow designs were considered but ultimately found impractical.

The design team has come up with Basic Powerplants in 30u, 100u, 300u, 500u, and 1000u sizes - sufficient to power anything from a parasite craft to a heavy combat ship. They project that the design will be Complexity 1, allowing Sorlaria to produce it without expensive tooling.

Enlightened Propeller:
Difficult: 3 (Subpar)

The Enlightened Propeller design takes a foray into the exciting new field of stellar interference. It was known that the aether can react in response to 'frequencies' given off by stars, and it was speculated that these frequencies can be created artificially. The design team was partially correct on this assumption. While this effect has been proven to occur, it is also more subtle than expected.

This means a larger - and thus more power-hungry and vulnerable - array (called the Resonating Element by the design team, partially as a handy nickname and partially to obscure the new field of work). The base electric propeller works sufficiently, but the Resonating Element can be turned on to significantly increase the thrust of the propeller. Unfortunately, combined with the relatively weak Basics steam engines, the Enlightenment can only be used when high speed is desired. This is still, however, a major boon compared to comparable unenlightened designs.

The propellers come in 10u, 50u, 100u, 300u, and 500u sizes. They are projected to have a Complexity Level of 3.

The High Queen is pleased with your work so far.

As the dust settles, the fourteen planets of House Sorlaria begin to come out of panic mode. Civilian industries are starting to reform, and the military is rebuilding. This development worries the other Houses, who view Sorlaria as a buffer state between them and the more developed Houses.

Specifically among the murmurs are House Lapilli, House Nitidid, and House Cadidus. These are the Houses that 'border' Sorlaria - borders being a tenuous concept in the aether - and the ones that feel the most threatened by the slow march to recovery. House Cadidus and Nitidid are much larger and more well-developed than Sorlaria, while Lapilli is smaller and between the two and Sorlaria in technology. The High Queen would like to ask for your opinion on the best way to repel a House Lapilli assault - knowing that they prefer medium, fast craft with many medium-sized missiles and a few large ones.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: House Sorlaria Ship Design Bureau (Design Phase, year 0.2 ISC)
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2022, 08:55:38 am »

well, anti-missile work will probally want up to six designs; the cannon for shooting at them, wireless detection, electronic eyes and/or bioeyes or training them, the countermeasures to distract them, and possibly the rockets/missiles for both shooting at them and carrying countermeasures to distract them
 First proposed vessel requires the cannon, compressed-aetherstuff propulsion, bio-eyes, electronic eyes, radio, some form of parasite craft, and optionally the rockets.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2022, 09:07:06 am »

I should note that the High Queen would merely like suggestions and proposals; the patrol ship remains the only demand at the time.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2022, 09:18:00 am »

I think a basic weapon & sensor suite should be our next goal. Maybe even just a cannon, but rockets or very rudimentary missiles might also work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4