Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: House Sorlaria Ship Design Bureau (Design Phase, year 0.4 ISC)  (Read 3345 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: House Sorlaria Ship Design Bureau (Design Phase, year 0.2 ISC)
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2022, 10:05:33 am »

Depends on the capabilities of the missiles I suppose as well. They'll only have limited propellant and direction control, so it may be possible to out-maneuver them, at least long enough for a subpar point defence to do the job.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2022, 11:03:27 am »

Cannon and the wireless gubbins, then? It would be a pair of Normal designs, and we will almost certainly need them for any vessel, at all
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2022, 01:32:49 am »

Okay, some minor updates. First, the Easy table:

Quote from: Easy Dice Table
1: The design fails to meet requirements.
2-3: The design performs as expected.
4-5: The design performs better than expected.
6: The design performs better than expected, giving a breakthrough of some kind.

Secondly, instead of discrete item component sizes for "families" of components, I have decided to introduce scalable components with arbitrary sizes. This means that the specifications of the Basic Powerplant Family and Enlightened Propeller Family now look like this:

Basic Powerplant: Per 10u: ¤1.5; C1, C2 over 1000u
Enlightened Propeller: Per 10u: ¤2; C3, C5 over 500u
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2022, 03:12:21 am »

Quote from: voting I guess
Cannon Family (1) | AseaHeru
Wireless Family (1) | AseaHeru
Highly Opinionated Fool

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2022, 03:51:24 am »

The Wireless is Difficult, but we can risk it.
Quote from: voting I guess
Cannon Family (2) | AseaHeru, NUKE9.13
Wireless Family (2) | AseaHeru, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2022, 12:14:42 am »

Since two votes seem solid, and nothing is moving, I'll process turns. I think editing into this message is cleaner than double-posting, so stay tuned for that. I'd like to keep things moving so I'm going to be fairly aggressive on hammering actions.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2022, 01:48:59 am »

Okay, the update took longer than expected, so I'm going to double-post to bump. Tell me if something looks off and I'll fix it - I imagine the numbers aren't going to be super balanced, and I may have flubbed somewhere in a description.

Mk. 0 Cannon Family:
Normal: 5 (Above Expectations)

The Mk. 0 Cannon Family contains several kinetic weapons, being fired out of a, well, cannon instead of being self-propelled and guided. All of them are propelled by smokeless powder, with trace amounts of phlogiston added. They are quite mechanically reliable.

The Rapid Fire Weapon is a simple, dual-barreled gas-operated autocannon. The design team was able to fit in explosive filler into the shells (containing copious quantities of phlogiston), and the fire rate - while less that of an externally-driven multibarrel design - is still very impressive. The stopping power of these new explosive rounds is also quite impressive for a cannon of its calibre. The two barrels actuate each other, and while this is generally a boon, this also means that a stoppage in one barrel will also cause the other barrel to fail. The gun loads out of large canisters containing two belts, one for each barrel, or else can be fed by a crewmember continually attaching a new belt to the end of the old one.

Mk. 0 Rapid Fire Weapon: 15u, ¤8, C-2

The Light Automatic Cannon is a small autocannon - almost resembling an automatic grenade launcher - that loads out of a chute. They turn out to be a reliable method of launching a variety of small shells, although their relatively short barrel precludes a high muzzle velocity. The variety of shells includes smoke shells, incendiary shells, flare shells, and chemical-effect penetrator (CEP). The design team projects that this will be a good weapon to sweep decks and start fires, as well as attack smaller vessels.

Mk. 0 Light Automatic Cannon: 25u, ¤12, C-2

The next weapon in the family, the Medium Cannon, is projected to be the primary anti-vessel cannon armament of most small-to-medium House Sorlaria vessels. The autoloader proved tricky to design, but ultimately the team was able to produce a robust example on schedule. The result is a fire rate exceeding that of hominid 'quick-firing' designs of roughly the same calibre. Much of the shells (armour-piercing solid shot; HE; a flare similar to the LAC's, but brighter and longer-lasting; and smokescreen) are hardly worth mentioning, but the real star of the show is the Wireless shell. Using a small transmitter in the turret, which can be linked to the Mk. 0 Wireless System, it is possible to detonate the shell before it passes the target - turning a near miss into a solid hit.

Mk. 0 Medium Cannon:
without Wireless: 60u, ¤15, C-2
with Wireless: 75u, ¤20, C-4

Finally, the Heavy Cannon is simply an upscaled Medium Cannon. Instead of powered turrets, the cannon is primarily in fixed mountings. The shells it can fire are broadly the same as the Medium Cannon, except they are much heavier and much more powerful.

Mk. 0 Heavy Cannon:
without Wireless: 100u, ¤30, C-2
with Wireless: 120u, ¤40, C-4

Mk. 0 Wireless Family:
Difficult: 2 (Failure)

Unfortunately, the design team was unable to miniaturize the transmitters enough to allow them to be mounted on smaller vessels. Each one of them is 250u, requiring a significantly sized vessel. In addition, they require a vast amount of power, further driving up the size of the vessel needed. The Wireless Detection System and the Wireless Gunlaying System both have trouble acquiring targets, and the Wireless Communication System suffers from frequent noise.

Mk.0 Wireless Systems:
each: 250u, ¤50, C-6

The High Queen reminds you that the patrol ship is due in two years. She is wary of your progress.

Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2022, 10:34:28 am »

Huh, I was going for proximity-fuzed round, but what are basically radio-set timed fuzes work too I guess...

Well, for the current projected picket ship, the Eyes, we still need to get the compressed aetherstuff, electronic eyes and/or bioeyes, the wireless working, and a parasite. The rockets would also be useful for it(although more for the parasites so they have warfighting ability).

Bioeyes and the rockets are probably easiest to retrofit in, so... Wireless Mk1 Electric Boogaloo and compressed aetherstuff?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2022, 10:05:25 pm »

If we're going for both a ship and a parasite by next turn, then we only have this turn left for component designs. If we delay the parasite, we can can three components, which would let us design the eyes while designing the ship, and then rockets alongside the parasite. Either way, wireless+compressed aetherstuff for this turn looks good to me.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: House Sorlaria Ship Design Bureau (Design Phase, year 0.3 ISC)
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2022, 10:26:26 pm »

I'd really prefer a writeup over "we do this again and hope it works".
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2022, 11:54:35 pm »

Dont worry, a writeup would happen if folks are allright for us doing it. Which I guess is now. Watch this space...

Spoiler: Mk1 Wireless Family (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 12:11:47 am by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2022, 07:53:52 pm »

Anyone have any votes?
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2022, 01:25:12 pm »

Okay, since it's a ghost town in here, I'll be doing the Mk 1 Wireless Family and the Compressed Aetherstuff propulsion (unless someone has votes). Watch for that post.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: House Sorlaria Ship Design Bureau (Production Phase, year 0.3 ISC)
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2022, 04:32:30 pm »

Spoiler: Mk1 Wireless Family (click to show/hide)

Mk1 Wireless Family
Normal: 5 (Above Expectations)

The first problem the design team worked on was on miniaturizing the wireless systems. After a few initial hiccups, the work proceeded smoothly. The unit cost has gone up slightly, but that is to be expected. The team finished up early, so they started working on the other parts of the project - namely, improving the Wireless shell, starting working on radio control, and rudimentary encryption.

The "Wireless II" shell is a marvel of Sorlaria engineering. By setting the distance to the target to look for in the shell room and using the wonderous field of radio waves, the Wireless II shell can determine its distance to a target and explode accordingly. Even better, the Wireless II shell can be used at no additional cost or complexity compared to the Wireless shell. The shells are available for the Medium Cannon, Heavy Cannon, and LAC.

Our scientists have also set the groundwork for radio control. While they have not produced anything suitable for use in combat, laboratory tests on converted civilian parasites are promising.

Finally, we have integrated message spool functionality into our Mk.1 Wireless Communication sets at no additional cost.

Mk.1 Wireless Systems:
each: 120u, ¤60, C-5
Mk.0 Light Automatic Cannon:
with Wireless II: 40u, ¤15, C-4

Compressed-Aetherstuff Propulsion:
Normal: 2 (Subpar)

It turns out that our design team has significantly underestimated the power and weight demands of dephlogistication. The thrust-to-weight ratio of the end result is... less than stellar. The thruster is only usable for station keeping on larger vessels.

Compressed-Aetherstuff Thruster: Per 100u: ¤40; C3, C5 over 300u

Year 0.4 Independent Sorlaria Calendar has arrived! Your ship is due at the end of this year. The High Queen, as well as the nascent Admiralty, awaits your results.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: House Sorlaria Ship Design Bureau (Design Phase, year 0.4 ISC)
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2022, 05:42:37 pm »

Cool, we're all going to get fired.

Do we really need the aetherstuff propulsion? If so, we may have to use imported civilian designs for maneuver drives. Expensive, but at least we'd be able to build scouts with sensors better than manual telescopes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4