Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: OSX running on textmode - curses - how to change the color palette?  (Read 585 times)

Architect

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hi, so, I finally got DF to run on my Mac, but I am having a real big problem with the color palette, it seems that in the graphics mode TEXT, which uses exclusively the ncurses, it is not considering the colors I've set in the df/data/init/colors.txt file and instead it is using the default one, which would be fine if not for the contrast that isnt really good for me and my bad "low-light" sight.

I've tried a couple of color schemes just to be sure its not me not seeing difference in the colors, so I tried a BW one and then another with only oranges, but had no difference. I really can't see any difference. So I assume it is falling back in the default colors.

So I ask, is it possible to change the color palette when running in text mode?

Also, I tried running in a few other image modes but all of them show'd a blank window while only the sound of the intro played (and it was also unresponsive to the close commands, so I had to force quit it every time when running in any mode other than text).

Architect

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: OSX running on textmode - curses - how to change the color palette?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 09:32:21 pm »

The following  is part of my mine shaft
The problem is that the background is black, and the Up/Down stairs are also black.
▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▓,•`•▓
 ▓'XX.▓
 ▓.XX.▓
 ▓X'.`▓
 ▓▓▓▓▓▓

This is making it barely unplayable the game.

Pyrobola

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 10:40:52 pm »

Try the terminal settings. (Cmd+,)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 06:31:30 am »

Yeah, when using TEXT mode the colors are determined by the terminal emulator, not the game. The game just tells the term to use one of the 16 standard terminal colors, while the terminal's settings determine what those colors actually are.

(Theoretically, some modern terminal emulators hav functionality for apps to use true color, but DF doesn't know how to do that.)

Are you sure you tried STANDARD?
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Architect

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 10:58:23 am »

Thanks, just tried STANDARD and it did indeed work!
I had tried frame buffer, partial, the other 2 different 2D modes, but STANDARD did indeed fix it, thanks a lot!