Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I double the boosted mana Madness Enhancement gives while I'm doubling normal servant mana?

Probably a good idea.
- 1 (16.7%)
Not really necessary.
- 2 (33.3%)
I don't play Berserker so I don't really have an opinion.
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41

Author Topic: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)  (Read 31965 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2022, 12:15:30 am »

Cool, my vote is placed. and since you were curious about them I'll try to dig up Faye and El Cid's character sheets (I was doing this for Faye anyway) and I'll PM them to you so you can see them.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2022, 12:17:17 am »

Thank you, all I remember about Faye was she was a little girl with a bunch of identical/semi-identical siblings.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

rustytengo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2022, 12:28:34 am »

well it well know i'm intrested just having trouble thinking of a servant currently leaning towards either Rider Henry Avery or Saber Hervor. also that does seem like a interesting thing for el cid and side note El Cid does appear in Fate/Requiem or rather mentioned and killed off screen which is sad.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2022, 03:45:35 pm »

I am creating a servant sheet.  Two questions: 1) how do we determine the rank of our personal skills?
2) What effects would a rank C Noble Phantasm that summons a sword have, And how long would the sword last?
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2022, 04:03:09 pm »

Rank of personal skills is difficult to figure out, as there are a wide variety of them of differing effect, so my general rule for them is just "be reasonable" and I'll edit them afterwards if I think they need to be edited.

As for the effects, a C rank NP would naturally have 3, if it summons the sword that is 1, so you could have the remaining two, and I would say the sword would likely last until the end of combat. For what the effects are, given that NPs are like personal skills, very varied and odd, I go with the similar "post what you want and I'll let you know if you need to change it" system. That said, if you let me know who you are making a servant of and what sword it is, I can probably give you a better idea of what effects it could expect to have.

I will make sure you know that instead of having it summon a sword, you could have a sword that gains extra effects when you activate your noble phantasm, which would both mean you have the sword normally, though the effects aren't immediately active, and that you don't need to use one of your effects on summoning the sword.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2022, 05:56:03 pm »

How many hit points will a typical enemy have? 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2022, 06:08:10 pm »

That’s one of the things I will be figuring out in testing, based on how much damage players end up doing per turn. In the mean times, it depends on the enemy. I think the starting test enemies will have 20 mana, but as the tests are starting with PvP, those numbers are liable to change depending on how much damage you guys do.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 06:27:39 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2022, 07:57:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This good?  I decided to go with your suggestion about already having a sword and the phantasm making it deal extra damage, but IDK If i did it right.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 01:02:26 pm by BlackPaladin99 »

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2022, 08:26:48 pm »

Largely good, though in need of some slight edits.

War-king's effect should be written as "+5 to your roll under number Agility when rolling for evasion or accuracy in melee combat." and given it's B rank, probably +4 instead of +5.

For Blade of Kings, the effect would be more akin to the NP William Tell has, rather than doing 100 damage a hit, you can pay 50 mana to automatically deal 100 damage to one or more enemies. For instance, Tell's is "60 damage to one enemy." at the cost of 30 mana. Also a more minor thing, Fate NP types are generally written as "Anti-X" where X is something like Army, Unit, Fortress, to describe how big the effect is, or, in more specific ones, Anti-Demon, Male, or Mountain.

Yours would probably be
Noble Phantasms:
Blade of Kings (A) Anti-Unit
Cost: 50
Description: the noble sword of the king of the Tuatha De Danann, this blade cuts through flesh and steel like butter.
Effects: 100 damage to one enemy.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2022, 08:37:57 pm »

That’s one of the things I will be figuring out in testing, based on how much damage players end up doing per turn. In the mean times, it depends on the enemy. I think the starting test enemies will have 20 mana, but as the tests are starting with PvP, those numbers are liable to change depending on how much damage you guys do.

I can do some quick maths to tell you the chance of what damage with what rolls if you want.

Right now everything looks super rocket tagy since 100 damage to one enemy is enough to wipe out a maxed-mana servant minus whatever Endurance is.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2022, 08:55:19 pm »

I can do some quick maths to tell you the chance of what damage with what rolls if you want.

Right now everything looks super rocket tagy since 100 damage to one enemy is enough to wipe out a maxed-mana servant minus whatever Endurance is.

That is a concern of mine. I wanted to give players the option to go all in on damage and create effects like Clarent and Excalibur, and to make doing so with something, and while the system isn’t made with PVP primarily in mind, I want it to be able to be used for such. While logically, taking something like Excalibur, which is what one if the A rank pure damage NPs is supposed to be like, to the face wound kill most servant, and while most major enemies in my game will have ways to avoid being one shot by it, it’s a bit difficult in PVP to avoid that. Fortunately, that’s what testing is for.

Current damage plan for main attacks is that a normal attack does damage depending on your strength parameter if you get a success, which is doubled for a critical success. If your opponent rolls a success for endurance, it’s halved, and a critical success means it’s quartered. Before damage calculations, you roll agility for accuracy vs agility for evasion, and if you evade, then no damage.
A: 50
B: 40
C: 30
D: 20
E: 10

I am currently also working out if I should use modified rules for things such as firearms, and if so, what those modified rules should be.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 09:06:38 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2022, 10:39:30 pm »

That is a concern of mine. I wanted to give players the option to go all in on damage and create effects like Clarent and Excalibur, and to make doing so with something, and while the system isn’t made with PVP primarily in mind, I want it to be able to be used for such. While logically, taking something like Excalibur, which is what one if the A rank pure damage NPs is supposed to be like, to the face wound kill most servant, and while most major enemies in my game will have ways to avoid being one shot by it, it’s a bit difficult in PVP to avoid that. Fortunately, that’s what testing is for.

Current damage plan for main attacks is that a normal attack does damage depending on your strength parameter if you get a success, which is doubled for a critical success. If your opponent rolls a success for endurance, it’s halved, and a critical success means it’s quartered. Before damage calculations, you roll agility for accuracy vs agility for evasion, and if you evade, then no damage.
A: 50
B: 40
C: 30
D: 20
E: 10

I am currently also working out if I should use modified rules for things such as firearms, and if so, what those modified rules should be.

Alright! Lets look at the dice then!

Your damage per turn will depend heavily on your opponent with that setup.  If I am understanding correctly you want to roll under the second number in the chart with a D20? So B would be 8?

So if I understand it right, it is Agility VS Agility (Contested) then a strength test (failure means no damage) then an endurance test?

If a contested rolls has zero successes on both sides does the "lower number" rule still apply?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2022, 10:52:47 pm »

It’s D10 rather than D20, so an A rank has a 9/10 chance to get one success, B has 7/10, etc. Also, the crit system where, for instance, if you’re at A rank and you roll a 2, you can roll again and if it’s less than an 8 it’s a crit. Yes, agility vs enemy agility, contested, then you do a strength check, then your opponent does an endurance check. If both fail to achieve any successes, I think count it as a failure for the person who initiated the action.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 10:59:34 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2022, 01:16:29 pm »

I still would prefer to play a Master, (specifically Faye), however since I always take a while to do character creation (and you seem to need a few more test dummies) I figured I'd go ahead and build my backup choice of character for if you decide to stick to your no-masters gameplan.
Spoiler: my backup choice V1 (click to show/hide)

Edited version below:
Spoiler: my backup choice V2 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 05:47:11 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2022, 02:20:08 pm »

Right, looking at your sheet there are several things that need editing or further defining, to the point I'm worried that if you do them, the character may no longer be the character you intended to play. In part, this is due to the feeling the character may have been designed for a game with more concrete mechanics than what I am currently working with. Nonetheless, I will go through what changes I think need to be made and you can decide that for yourself.

Most obvious is something I realized I never explicitly stated, so it's kind of my fault, but I'm trying to go with only servants who would likely show up in a proper Fate work, so generally characters from other games or created by the player are not allowed. I think you could solve this by editing your sheet to play as a version of some fox spirit/diety, such as Inari, Fate's Amaterasu, etc. or a fire deity, such as Hestia, Fornax, Bridget, Hephaestus, etc.

Not sure what to do with having the skills absorb the points, do you mean that as in having stronger skills in return for fewer points in the point buy?

Parameters and Class skills look good, but I'm wondering how the fire skill ​and territory interact. Is it that where fire is, it is counted as your territory, with it scaling with the amount, such as a small fire making the location act as E rank territory letting you regenerate 5 mana each turn, and a bonfire acting as A rank territory and letting you regenerate 25 mana each turn, or is it that when in your territory, more fire adds more to your regen per turn?

Resilient Tails seems good.

Further on Soul of Fire, while I can see letting you manipulate fires you start and mundane fires, such as campfires and forest fires, I think it may be a bit too powerful if I allow you to control, for instance, an enemy noble phantasm that is made of fire, or a dragon breath attack. I am willing to accept you having immunity to all ordinary fire and resistance to special flames.

Once more, kind of confused as to how Beacon of Flames works.

Shapeshift: Slightly worried about keeping track of the volume of each shape change.

Flame Orb: Do you mean multiple times per turn?

Flame Dance: My concern is that area can be used as a broadly defined term here, as it could mean a specific room, a full house, or even a wide open space. Also, could you define how the "prevent them from moving within, through, or exiting the target area" part works? Does it decrease their roll under number for agility? Do they need to beat a contested roll in agility?

For Fire Storm, rank damage as in the previously stated "how much damage a normal attack does at X rank strength" chart?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41