Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I double the boosted mana Madness Enhancement gives while I'm doubling normal servant mana?

Probably a good idea.
- 1 (16.7%)
Not really necessary.
- 2 (33.3%)
I don't play Berserker so I don't really have an opinion.
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 41

Author Topic: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)  (Read 31686 times)

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Ok, I want to make it clear. This is not dead, I've just been very busy with school as we're in the last few weeks and lots of work is coming at once. I didn't want to post until I had the update ready, but given how long it's been, I figured I owed you guys an explanation. I will do my best to get on the update and get back to a schedule when my workload lightens up, but I'm not sure when exactly that will end up being.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

No problem. you have your priorities straight. Take as long as you need.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Irine 1
Irine runs back into the cave. The wyverns, while not particularly intelligent, still understand that attempting to follow smaller prey into an enclosed space is likely to end poorly for them, so they remain flying around the valley. Unfortunately for Irine, she needs to cross the valley.

Irine 2
Activate NP: Irine Loses 50 Mana (Now 50)
Wyvern 1 Strength Check: 9 (Failure)
Wyvern 2 Strength Check: 3 (Success), 9 (No Crit) Remainder 3 vs 3 (Failure)
Wyvern 2 Agility Check: 3 (Success), 3 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 6 vs 3 (Success), 9 (No Crit) Remainder 3
Damage Check: 7 (Failure)

Fighting against her instinctual desire to run back into the cave and avoid the giant flying predators, Irine instead decided to go all out and unleash her Noble Phantasm. A spiral of flames begins to form in the center of the valley, spinning slowly, but fast enough to disturb the air currents that the wyverns fly on, causing one to be pulled away.

The remaining wyvern swoops down, ready to attack the fox standing in clear sight, it’s brown talons stretched out and ready to cut, but Irine covers her body in her tails, and the claws end up glancing off instead, as the wyvern flies back up into the air.

Nuada
Activate NP: Nuada loses 50 Mana (Now 50)
+ to Strength. + to Agility. +40 damage
Wyvern 1 Agility Check: 9 (Success), 4 (No Crit) Remainder 3 vs 10 (Success), 3 (No Crit) Remainder 2
Damage Check: 8 (Failure)
Wyvern 2 Agility Check: 9 (Success), 9 (No Crit) Remainder 3 vs 3 (Success), 8 (Crit Success) Remainder 1

“Switch On - Blade of Kings!” Nuada shouts, an otherworldly light glows from his sword and silver arm as the mana in his body began boosting his physical capacities. The wyverns’ wings seemed to beat in slow motion as his perception sped up, but not slow enough.

One wyvern dived at Nuada, and despite his best efforts, he failed to get out of the way in time. Fortunately, the wyvern’s talons scratched harmlessly against his silver arm. The other wyvern dove down, but Nuada dodged the assault.

Doc Holliday
Luck Check: 3 (Success), 9 (No Crit)
Agility Check: 1 (Success), 8 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 6 vs 5 (Success), 9 (No Crit) Remainder 7
Wyvern 1 Agility Check: 1 (Success), 9 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 2 vs 3 (Success), 2 (Crit Success) Remainder 5
Wyvern 2 Agility Check: 9 (Success), 10 (No Crit) Remainder 3 vs 6 (Success), 1 (Crit Success) Remainder 3

Doc pulls out both his pistols, releasing a flurry of fire from both revolvers right into the wyvern's belly when it dives close.Unfortunately, the bullets only end up bouncing off the wyvern’s armored stomach.

The two wyverns don’t fair much better, as Doc dodged both of their dives without a scratch.

John Henry
Agility Check: 7 (Success), 8 (No Crit) Remainder 3 vs 8 (Success), 3 (Crit Success) Remainder 1
Wyvern 1 Agility Check: 3 (Success), 7 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 2 vs 9 (Success) Remainder 1
Damage Check: 1 (Success), 5 (No Crit) Remainder 5 vs 8 (Success), 9 (No Crit) Remainder 6
John Henry takes 23 Damage (Now 63)
Wyvern 2 Agility Check: 4 (Success), 5 (Crit Success) Remainder 3 vs 9 (Success) Remainder 1

John Henry winds up to throw a railroad spike at the wyvern diving down at him, but the wyvern ceases flapping it’s wings for a moment, causing it to drop out of the way of the attack, before resuming it’s flight to dive down at John.

While John tries to get out of the way, he’s simply not fast enough, as the wyvern’s talons tear through his shirt and overalls and leave a decent sized cut in the skin underneath. The second wyvern follows it’s friend’s path, but fortunately for John, it finds its claws attempting to cut through a more durable target, the metal part of his arm, and it ends up flying back up without having given him any new injuries.

Ok, if anyone still cares, this is back. Sorry about how long it took, I've been working on stuff like trying to find a summer job or getting an internship since I finished school, but the real issue was a lack of feeling creative or being in a writing mood. Honestly, that isn't back yet, but I finally decided to just sit down and make myself write the turn since I didn't have anything I needed to do today and it was unfair to make you all wait until I felt up to it. It may take me a bit to get back into the swing of how to run this, but I'm going to do my best to get back to stable updates.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

((I cant' remember who I was or what I was doing.))

"You'll make a fine pair of boots with skin like that."

Doc takes careful aim with the pistol in his right hand, aiming for the unarmored eye of the next wyvern that gets into shooting range. Lets see your eyeball bounce a bullet.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

World 1: Irine behaves as she actually would.
Current form: full-fox
Current Mana: 100/100

Take the time to make the cave into my territory.
((Irine's plan here is to make the cave her territory, then to create flame orbs and bring them with her as she leaves, the territory replenishing her mana as she spends it. she'll then re-engage the wyverns once she's prepared herself. if you want to accelerate this process, she would leave once she has three flame orbs accompanying herself and is back at 100/100 mana.))

World 2: Noble Phantasm Test
Current Mana: 50/100

Continue channeling

Spoiler: Irine (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

John Henry
John Henry breathes out, letting himself cool down.
Rest this turn.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Irine 1
Irine began to use her mana to transform the cave into her territory. The rocks under her paws began to heat up, as if they had been under the sun, rather than stuck inside a cave. The temperature in the cave increased as the heat on the rocks spread, until it changed to only a bit cooler than the area outside.
Territory Created

Irine 2
Wyvern 1 Loses 20 Mana (Now 40)
Wyvern 2 Loses 20 Mana (Now 40)
Wyvern 1 Strength Check: 6 (Failure)
Wyvern 2 Strength Check: 8 (Failure)

Irine continues to focus on channeling her noble phantasm, causing it to grow in power and the spiral of flames in the center of the valley to grow in intensity, with bursts of flames separating from it and burning the two wyverns. The Wyverns try to escape the pull of the flames, but both are unable to, leaving them unable to approach Irine.

Doc Holliday
Luck Check: 8 (Success), 1 (Crit Success) +40 Damage
Agility Check: 7 (Success), 3 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 5 vs 7 (Success), 7 (No Crit) Remainder 5
Damage Check: 2 (Success), 10 (No Crit) Remainder 4 vs 5 (Success) Remainder 1
Wyvern 1 Loses 63 Mana (Now Dead)
Wyvern 2 Agility Check: 5 (Success), 1 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 6 vs 3 (Success), 7 (No Crit) Remainder 7
Wyvern 2 Damage Check: 3 (Success), 8 (No Crit) Remainder 3 vs 8 (Failure)
Doc Loses 45 Mana (Now 55)

"You'll make a fine pair of boots with skin like that,” Doc says as he carefully aims his pistol. When the next Wyvern dives in to slash at him, he’s ready, shooting a carefully aimed bullet right through it’s eye and into it’s brain, causing the unfortunate creature to drop out of the air, dead.

The other wyvern, potentially incited by it’s ally’s fate, charged down to slash at Doc. Unfortunately, this time Doc wasn’t able to dodge in time, as the wyvern’s talons rip through his clothes and his skin, leaving a large and bleeding gash along his chest, which his mana went to work healing up.

John Henry
Passes Turn Recovers 40 Mana (Now 100)
Wyvern 1 Agility Check: 7 (Success), 2 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 3 vs 4 (Success), 2 (Crit Success) Remainder 4
Wyvern 2 Uses Fire Breath
John Henry Loses 20 Mana (Now 80)
Luck Check: 2 (Success)

Feeling himself getting low on mana, John Henry chose to take a moment to cool down, taking a deep breath as steam whistled out of his pipes and his metal body parts cooled down.

The deep breath certainly seemed to help his ability to focus, as when the next wyvern flew down to swipe at him, he managed to narrowly dodge it’s attack. However, the other wyvern had a secret trick up his sleeve, as it opened it’s mouth to blast a cone of fire over John. The flames ate away at his clothes and some of his skin, but thankfully, his metal body served as a poor tinder, and he was easily able to pat out what little fire remained on him once the wyvern was done.

It may take me a bit to get back into the swing of how to run this, but I'm going to do my best to get back to stable updates.

So that turned out to be... well, not really a lie, just something I wasn't good at keeping. Sorry, it seems like if I look away from this for too long, I end up taking weeks to get back to it. First I was waiting on an action, then I went on vacation, but after that I just didn't do anything for a while. I think I'm going to need to set this up for a daily or every other day schedule so I can keep on top of it. Anyway, here's the new post as I work out how to keep myself from procrastinating work on this.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 05:28:12 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Generate a flame orb for later use

World 2: Noble Phantasm Test
Current Mana: 50/100

Continue channeling

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile

stab a wyvern
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

Doc pulls out his shotgun. When the Wyvern dives for its next attack, he'll blast it down its throat.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Irine 1
Irine Loses 20 Mana

Irine began channeling her mana into her tail, willing the air to heat up and combust. She flicked her tail and, with a small flash and pop as the heat caused the air to expand, a orb of fire popped into the air. Irine whisked it towards the wall of the cave as she began to make another.

((Do you want to just skip until you have enough fire orbs?))

Irine 2
Wyvern 1 Loses 40 Mana (Now Dead)
Wyvern 2 Loses 40 Mana (Now Dead)

Irine continued to channel her Noble Phantasm, causing the flames to grow to even greater strengths and the flame spiral to draw the wyverns into the center of it. Trapped with the intensifying flames, the unfortunate wyverns were burnt up, leaving the mountain pass clear for Irine.

Nuada
Nuada Gained 10 Mana (Now 60)
Agility Check: 1 (Success), 8 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 7 vs 6 (Success), 7 (No Crit) Remainder 6
Damage Check: 7 (Success), 8 (No Crit) Remainder 5 vs 2 (Success), 1 (Success) Remainder 3
Wyvern Loses 50 Mana (Now 10)
Wyvern 1 Uses Fire Breath
Nuada Loses 20 Mana (Now 40)
Luck Check: 4 (Success)
Wyvern 2 Agility Check: 3 (Success), 2 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 7 vs 2 (Success), 7 (Crit Success) Remainder 7 (Coin Toss: Heads)

As the first wyvern swept down for another attack on Nuada, the Tuatha was ready. Once the big lizard was in range, he struck out with his sword, stabbing into its stomach. His sword went in deep, though not quite out the other side. As he pulled his sword out, a good portion of the wyvern’s internals followed it, but the creature was still just barely holding on to life.

With the range still close, the wyvern loosed a blast of fire from it’s throat over Nuada, singeing his skin. The fire didn’t catch on anything, but it still left him feeling worse for wear. The wyvern used this as an opportunity to fly off, while the second one attacked the distracted swordsman. It was only a split second movements that saved Nuada from a dangerously close shave by the wyvern’s claws, though it ended with him landing in a… less than dignified position.

Doc Holliday
Luck Check: 9 (Success) Remainder 1
Agility Check: 1 (Success), 3 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 11 vs 3 (Success), 10 (No Crit) Remainder 9
Wyvern 2 Sses Fire Breath
Doc Holliday loses 20 Mana (Now 35)
Luck Check: 6 (Success)

Doc pulled out his shotgun and redied it. When the wyvern flew up at him and opened it’s mouth, he unloaded it, trying to blast the flying lizard down it’s throat, but unfortunately for him, the blast was canceled out by something coming up the other way.

The cone of destruction from the shotgun was blown out of the way by a blast of fire roaring out of the wyvern’s mouth. Doc managed to pat out any flames that had been caught on his clothing, but his mustache may need a little more time to return to it’s former glory.

Right, so new rule, if a Player/Allied NPC and an enemy are completely tied for a contested roll, I'll just do a coin toss, heads for players, tails for the enemy. Also, as You can tell, I figured I'd just run turns with whoever posted an action an then when the absent player returns, I'll just go back to their turns. That should work as long as we're running the solo tests.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right, so new rule, if a Player/Allied NPC and an enemy are completely tied for a contested roll, I'll just do a coin toss, heads for players, tails for the enemy. Also, as You can tell, I figured I'd just run turns with whoever posted an action an then when the absent player returns, I'll just go back to their turns. That should work as long as we're running the solo tests.
((I like.))

Irine began channeling her mana into her tail, willing the air to heat up and combust. She flicked her tail and, with a small flash and pop as the heat caused the air to expand, a orb of fire popped into the air. Irine whisked it towards the wall of the cave as she began to make another.

((Do you want to just skip until you have enough fire orbs?))
((yes please, 3 orbs and full mana, then she re-engages))

moving out of the cave, I check my surroundings, seeing if the wyverns from before still want to try to hunt me. If they come after me, I will use my three flame orbs to defend myself, focusing on one of them at a time.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

Annoyed, Holliday will use the trees to get on the Wyvern's back then fill its wings with lead from his pistols.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

John Henry
"Fat lot of good that did me."

John Henry locked eyes on the nearest Wyvern and hefted his hammer. Smash the next Wyvern to approach.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Irine
Wyvern 1 Mana Check: 6 (Failure)
Wyvern 1 Loses 20 Mana (Now 40)
Wyvern 1 Mana Check: 3 (Success), 7 (No Crit)
Wyvern 1 Loses 10 Mana (Now 30)
Wyvern 1 Mana Check: 6 (Failure)
Wyvern 1 Loses 20 Mana (Now 10)
Wyvern 1 Uses Fire Breath
It doesn’t affect Irine
Wyvern 2 Agility Check: 8 (Success), 3 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 1 vs 4 (Success), 1 (Crit Success) Remainder 1 (Coin Toss: Heads)

Irine emerged from the cave with three flame orbs hanging over her head. Looking around, the wyverns were still there, and they didn’t seem the least bit dissuaded from preying on her, shrieking as they saw her reenter their field of view. One of them dove down to attack her, but she responded by launching her flame orbs at it. The wyvern was caught up in a ball of flames and Irine turned her attention to the other one… but the first wyvern badly burnt as it may be, flew out the other side of the flames.

The first wyvern, emerging from the flames, let loose it’s own blast of fire from it’s mouth, but unlike the Wyverns, Irine could take the heat just as much as she could dish it out. The fire and smoke blowing around Irine did little besides obscure her vision, but that was almost enough. Only Irine’s natural ability to sense the movement of flames lead to her realizing just in time that the second wyvern was diving at her, using the flame attack as a smoke screen. She only barely managed to get out of the way in time.

(Not putting this in now, but in the future I'm wondering if the flame orb spell should be worked as you can make however many you want, but once one is used it is removed, or if they should be kept like this.)

Doc Holliday
Luck Check: 4 (Success), 10 (No Crit)
Agility Check: 7 (Success), 3 (No Crit) Remainder 3
Agility Check: 4 (Success), 4 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 7 vs 10 (Success), 2 (No Crit) Remainder 2
Wyvern 2 Agility Check: 2 (Success), 3 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 7 vs 6 (Success), 2 (Crit Success) Remainder 2

At this point, the overgrown, flying lizard was really pissing Doc off. As the remaining wyvern dove down for another attack on Doc, he used the trees nearby to spring himself up and on to the wyvern’s back. From his new position, he tried to fire his gun into the wyvern’s back and wings, but unfortunately it seems that the wyvern’s back is roughly as bulletproof as the rest of it.

The Wyvern wasn’t having a great time attacking Holliday either, as it’s talons couldn’t reach up to it’s back and as much as it tried, it couldn’t crane it’s neck around to be able to bite at him.

John Henry
Strength Check: 1 (Success), 10 (Crit Success) Remainder 1 vs 4 (Success), 10 (No Crit) Remainder 8
Damage Check: 1 (Success), 5 (Crit Success) Remainder 6 vs 4 (Success), 4 (No Crit) Remainder 2
Wyvern 1 Loses 60 Mana (Now Dead)
John Henry Loses 10 Mana (Now 70)
Wyvern 2 Agility Check: 2 (Success), 1 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 9 vs 3 (Success), 7 (No Crit) Remainder 7
Damage Check: 2 (Success), 1 (Crit Success) Remainder 3 vs 5 (Success), 3 (Crit Success) Remainder 6
John Henry Loses 23 Mana (Now 47)

As the wyvern that tried to claw at John comes back for another swipe, he locks eyes with it. Flight, fire, nothing really separated this thing from any other pest that wouldn’t get out of the way, and he was prepared to treat it that way. As the wyvern came into range, he slammed his hammer into its head, shattering it’s skull in one blow,

The other wyvern didn’t seem to have gotten the memo about getting out of the steel driver’s way, as instead of fleeing, it seemed incited by what happened to its companion. It dove at John, who, after committing himself to the attack on the first wyvern, wasn’t able to get out o the way in time, as the wyvern’s claws left a decent gash in his chest, which his mana got to work healing up.

Sorry, I was really busy with online classes yesterday. Given Stirk's rolls, as evidently wyverns are bullet proof, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to have a failed damage roll still do something, either half damage or something else. As is, the wyverns do seem to be causing a bit more trouble than expected, at least to some. Also, wasn't expecting to have to do another coin flip so soon after the first one, but I'm glad I put that rule in place.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 41