Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I double the boosted mana Madness Enhancement gives while I'm doubling normal servant mana?

Probably a good idea.
- 1 (16.7%)
Not really necessary.
- 2 (33.3%)
I don't play Berserker so I don't really have an opinion.
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 41

Author Topic: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)  (Read 32016 times)

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
Re: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)
« Reply #270 on: August 17, 2022, 01:00:15 pm »

keep running.  get them in melee range. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 18, 2022, 09:55:33 pm »

John Henry
Well, no sense standing around waiting when you could be working. Worst things worst he starts going the wrong way and has to bring everything back if the Foreman catches him.

Begin travelling in the least densely wooded direction, laying down properly spaced planks as he goes to set the rails on once they've got the rails available.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 18, 2022, 10:03:18 pm »

Shoot him.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 18, 2022, 10:35:45 pm »

No turn tonight since it’s already late and I’ll be traveling most of tomorrow after getting up early.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 20, 2022, 06:50:09 am »

Just letting everyone know, I’m busy with moving in to my dorm so I haven’t had time for turns. I’ll start working on this again when I’m settled in.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 29, 2022, 10:59:56 pm »

Doc Holliday
Luck Check: 7 (Success), 8 (No Crit)
Agility Check: 4 (Success), 3 (Crit Success) (1.5x) Remainder 8 vs 1 (Success), 2 (Crit Success), Remainder 4
Damage Check: 1 (Success), 4 (Crit Success) (2x), Remainder 1 vs 6 (Success), 3 (Crit Success), Remainder 4
? Loses 23 Mana (Now 89)
? activates Active Skill

Doc shot at the man, a course of action that was much easier now that he could see his enemy, and made even easier by the disorientation his foe faced from the effects of his Noble Phantasm. The bullet shot through the man’s torso, and while the wound started closing soon after, it was still a solid hit.

His opponent surprisingly didn’t try to attack back, rather he closed his eyes and took a deep breath, almost seeming to meditate, before opening his eyes again, focused on Doc.

Nuada (2 Turn Cooldown)
Nuada Gains 10 Mana (Now 140)
Luck Check: 10 (Failure)
Agility Check: 2 (Success), 9 (No Crit)
?? Agility Check: 5 (Success), 3 (Crit Success)
?? Agility Check: 10 (Success), 4 (Crit Success) (1.5x), Remainder 4 vs 3 (Success), 4 (Crit Success), Remainder 1
Damage Check: 1 (Success), 4 (Crit Success) (2x), Remainder 3 vs 8 (Failure)
Nuada Loses 120 Mana (Now 20)

Nuada attempted to charge at his still hidden enemy, but, not knowing which direction to run to do that, he defaulted to blind luck in the hopes that he’d manage to run into them. Charging through the woods, he did not run into his opponent, but at the very least he might have gotten away from them…

Unfortunately, that was not the case. Another dagger shot out from the woods, this one behind Nuada, striking through his back, piercing his armor… and one of his lungs. As the dagger went out the other side, Nuada struggled to breath. While his mana eventually closed the wound, by the time it was done, he was in dire straits.

John Henry
Luck Check: 3 (Success), 5 (No Crit)

John Henry walked towards a part of the woods he had largely cleared of trees and began laying down his freshly made planks just like he’d done in life, preparing the planks of a railroad for driving. Admittedly, he didn’t have any rails yet, but he could manage that after he’d set up the planks.

Ok, I've officially been here for a week and I feel set in enough to get back to the regular schedule. Sorry for taking so long. Anyway, Failbird, if you want me to just skip ahead to the turn you'll have actual combat, I can do that.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 29, 2022, 11:06:11 pm »

(Yeah just move me ahead. I'm kind of playing a character who won't stop moving until you stop him, against an opponent who seems content to sit back and prepare extensively)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 29, 2022, 11:41:45 pm »

Lets see how well he can concentrate with a bullet inside him.

...Actually we just did that. Lets see how well he can concentrate with a bunch of bullets inside him.

Doc brings up both pistols and unloads them into the man.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 01, 2022, 12:01:46 am »

Doc Holliday
Luck Check: 2 (Success), 3 (Crit Success) +40 Damage
Agility Check: 3 (Success), 5 (Crit Success) (1.5x), Remainder 7 vs 2 (Success), 6 (No Crit), Remainder 5
Damage Check: 7 (Failure)
? Agility Check: 2 (Success), 3 (Crit Success) (1.5x), Remainder 8 vs 9 (Success) Remainder 1
Damage Check: 2 (Success), 1 (Crit Success) (2x), Remainder 5 vs 8 (Failure)
Doc Holliday Loses 120 Mana (Now Dead)

Doc pulled out both of his pistols and unloaded them at the enemy, but unfortunately for him, both his guns misfired, smoke blowing out of the barrels. Unfortunately, his opponent didn’t have the same issue, as he loosed on bullet from his crossbow which struck right through Doc’s chest, piercing his spirit origin, causing his form to dissolve into golden light.

Doc Holliday Lost

John Henry
?+? Loses 50 Mana (Now 150)
John Henry Loses 60 Mana (Now 110)
Ghost 1 Agility Check: 7 (Success), 3 (No Crit), Remainder 3 vs 4 (Success), 3 (Crit Success), Remainder 3
Ghost 2 Agility Check: 7 (Success), 10 (No Crit), Remainder 3 vs 6 (Success), 8 (No Crit), Remainder 4
Ghost 3 Agility Check: 1 (Success), 8 (Crit Success) (1.5x), Remainder 1 vs 5 (Success), 7 (No Crit), Remainder 5
Damage Check: 3 (Success), 1 (Crit Success) (2x), Remainder 4 vs 4 (Success), 1 (Crit Success), Remainder 9
John Henry loses 23 Mana (Now 87)

After an extensive period where Doc had gotten a lot of work done, his enemy finally decided to show themselves. Three more ghosts, like the one that had attacked him before, floated out of the woods, their skeletal forms glowing blue in the night, but behind them came a girl, seemingly in her late teens, with long blond hair tied in two pigtails, wearing a black dress, a black legging on one leg, and some kind of black crown. Something like a bird cage was tied to her hip, and in her hand she carried a massive weapon, something like a wheel with two large blades sticking out, which was taller than she was.

The girl spun her weapon in the air as blue lightning seemed to fork off it, growing in magnitude as she spun, before she slammed it into the ground, causing the earth beneath John Henry’s feet to erupt. Pieces of stone slammed into him as blue energy erupted under his feet, knocking him backwards. As he regained his balance, he noticed that the world around him seemed different, with the sky having turned red, like a sunrise, but he only had a few minutes to consider that as spikes of purplish energy erupted from the ground beneath his feet.

When the girl’s attack finally ceased, the ghosts took their turn. The first two swiped at John Henry, but like their earlier companion, neither were able to land their hits, as the steelworker deftly dodged them. The third phantom, however, managed to slip in as Henry was dodging the second one’s swipe, and managed to scratch him. Fortunately, the scratch occurred on one of John Henry’s metal parts, and so didn’t result in very much damage, but the numbers disadvantage was… concerning.

Ok, I did not expect this round to be so hard, and given it's a problem that at least 3/4 players have had, I'm going to go ahead and accept it's my fault. Whether it was the pairings, the use of cover, or what, I seem to have made this too hard. The good news is, I don't have any current plans for you guys fighting 1v1 with other Rank 3 servants in the actual game, you'll tend to have a numbers advantage in return for the enemies tending to be more able to decide on the circumstances of the battle, so matters like this are less likely to occur. When we go to multiplayer battles, we'll revisit these with circumstances more similar to the actual games.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 01, 2022, 12:36:55 am »

in Doc's case it looks like a crit happened and that was fight-determining because 120 damage in a single turn is kinda wow.
in Irine's case a crit happening also was fight-determining, though I do think she'd have lost her match even without it due to her giving her opponent a free turn, if neither of those had happened then I think the fight would have been a close one.

So I'd look hard at your crit system and try to figure out what % your crit chances actually are, and deciding just how influential you want them to be. something to bear in mind is that crit systems naturally favor NPCs very heavily because a NPCs tend to only ever be in one fight, whereas PCs have to survive a bunch of them. So any given PC is worlds more likely to be hit by a crit than any given NPC. If your crits are fight-determining, let alone if they're instant-kill, then the life expectancy of PCs is going to be very very short. for example, lets say that your campaign has 8 fights, and on average someone will get a crit in every other fight.

in that case, the NPC opponents will each have about a 25% chance of being hit by a crit, 25% chance of dealing out a crit, and 50% chance of crits not getting involved.

but each PC will have an 89.99% chance of being hit by AT LEAST one crit. an 89.99% chance of dealing out AT LEAST one crit, and only 00.39% chance of crits not getting involved.

So I suggest looking hard at your crit system.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 01, 2022, 01:21:55 am »

Ok, I did not expect this round to be so hard, and given it's a problem that at least 3/4 players have had, I'm going to go ahead and accept it's my fault. Whether it was the pairings, the use of cover, or what, I seem to have made this too hard. The good news is, I don't have any current plans for you guys fighting 1v1 with other Rank 3 servants in the actual game, you'll tend to have a numbers advantage in return for the enemies tending to be more able to decide on the circumstances of the battle, so matters like this are less likely to occur. When we go to multiplayer battles, we'll revisit these with circumstances more similar to the actual games.

Why didn't you expect the round to be hard exactly? You gave us enemies that explicitly had the same point total so you'd expect 2/4 to lose by chance since we're evenly matched. My character was made to test out support skills so he'd be expected to lose 1v1 against a combatant. You then gave the NPCs a free hit and stealth bonus against everyone so you should expect them to win against evenly matched opponents :V.

So I'd look hard at your crit system and try to figure out what % your crit chances actually are, and deciding just how influential you want them to be. something to bear in mind is that crit systems naturally favor NPCs very heavily because a NPCs tend to only ever be in one fight, whereas PCs have to survive a bunch of them. So any given PC is worlds more likely to be hit by a crit than any given NPC. If your crits are fight-determining, let alone if they're instant-kill, then the life expectancy of PCs is going to be very very short. for example, lets say that your campaign has 8 fights, and on average someone will get a crit in every other fight.

Uh, with the way the rules are you're going to crit basically every turn with the stats you focused on. Which can be seen easily since he posts all the rolls. Its a weird dice system so hashing out the odds is annoying so just kinda accept crits are going to be everywhere.

If I where to analyze my fight the takeaway would be
1. As above, I should be expected to lose.
2. Archer countered Archer hard, since Archer was a dodge tank. Doc relied on not getting hit to not die, Tell had A agility +6 with another +3 with a reroll that more than countered Doc's dodge (keeping in mind that in a D10 system +3 is a major increase, and a reroll basically halves your chance for failure).
3. Archer countered Archer hard, since Archer was a dodge tank and a normal tank. The other archer this time. Like Doc Tell can dodge all incoming shots, unlike Doc Tell has B Endurance with a +5 modifier (again +5 is a major modifier on a D10 system). This meant that Hollidays hits didn't do anything, and could never do anything.

The only real comments would be that this really should have been obvious and you should probably realize that every +1 is a meaningful modifier when you're using small dice :V

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 01, 2022, 01:26:57 am »

>.> I assigned stats using modeling instead of giving a care about good distribution, since I was working with a pre-established character. and so I barely even looked at what they do.

why is my build crit-focused?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 01, 2022, 01:31:40 am »

>.> I assigned stats using modeling instead of giving a care about good distribution, since I was working with a pre-established character. and so I barely even looked at what they do.

why is my build crit-focused?

Every build is crit focused.

The system assumes you are getting crits every turn. >_>

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 01, 2022, 01:34:37 am »

oh, the "you" after you quoted me to directed to Smoke, not me, gotcha. I was confused since it's really hard to say that Irine's build is "focused" on anything other than mana:
Strength: E
Endurance: C
Agility: C
Mana: A
Luck: C

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 01, 2022, 01:38:53 am »

oh, the "you" after you quoted me to directed to Smoke, not me, gotcha. I was confused since it's really hard to say that Irine's build is "focused" on anything other than mana:
Strength: E
Endurance: C
Agility: C
Mana: A
Luck: C

No, it was directed at you and your criticism :V. Up until the breaking point.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 41