Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I double the boosted mana Madness Enhancement gives while I'm doubling normal servant mana?

Probably a good idea.
- 1 (16.7%)
Not really necessary.
- 2 (33.3%)
I don't play Berserker so I don't really have an opinion.
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41

Author Topic: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)  (Read 31890 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2022, 02:43:12 pm »

Not too suprised at the feedback, going to number them to make bookkeeping easier.

1) no self-made characters. This one's a bit of a hard-stopper, and is why I prefer playing a master. I don't like playing other people's characters, so most all possible Servants are out to me since I don't consider their stories mine. I fully understand the problem, I just don't have a solution. Like I said, it's why I prefer Masters.

2) You're right about what I meant with the spare points. I think the personal skills are overtuned and wanted to scrap the leftover points to compensate.

3)the former option @ terrirory interaction.

4) perfectly reasonable compromise. @ no controling enemy flame and resist instead of immune to specials

5) shapeshit volume tracking is fairly trivial and can be ignored, can just assume it's subsumed into the mana cost.

6)at flame orb, i mean she can maintain from a previous turn and add a new one to stack with it, increasing attacks from turn to turn. Her entire combat theme is that she builds momentum and power over time. It's also why it does E rank damage at D rank cost.

7) the area of flame dance is that of a very large room, like a gym. And I phrased the obstruction vaugely because I don't have the best mental image of how you want your system to work. It's creating obstructions so maybe they need a Agi check to pass through?

8 ) Firestorm I had following your rank-to-damage chart.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2022, 03:34:33 pm »

1 ) Understandable. I often have issue writing other people's characters for fear of messing them up. I suppose with servants it's easier as, given the number of liberties that the main fate series takes with personalities, I feel a greater ability to shape them into something I like. There is technically the option to design something like a counterforce agent, though I admit I'm not 100% certain how summoning counterforce agents works. I am also working on some thoughts for how a master sheet would work, but for now that's a lower priority than working out combat. If you still want to try to use the character for the tests, I have further responses below and a thought of something that could be done with your abilities.

2 ) Ok, I suppose that's fair.

3 ) Ok then, though how much fire counts for each rank may be more of a judgement type thing than a hard and fast rule. Or, you could modify the skill to grant + mana per turn when in "Fiery Terrain"

4 ) Ok then, I'll leave it up to you to figure out what your + to endurance when resisting damage from fire attacks is, and you can add "You take no damage from fire terrain effects" to the effect.

5 ) Ok.

6 ) Ok, that seems good.

7 ) Ok, "In order to move through, move within, or exit the effected area, units must roll a successful Agility check"

8 ) Ok, and the pull in works with a contested strength roll. I had a possible idea that you could have the effect change the field to fiery and have you skill boost mana regen in a fiery field, in order to maybe have the Beacon of Flames skill work more like other skills in the bonds of the system.

Also, for everyone, I have a few people who have let me know they are working on sheets, and I am working on some stuff for school, so I'll start testing when I get the sheets in from those people and I'm done with those assignments.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 03:51:01 pm by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2022, 04:37:59 pm »

1) cool. Driving on then, and I'll have no hard feelings when she can't be used for the game post-test because she doesn't fit the setting.

3) It being judgement-based is totally fine and I both understand and don't mind that itll be a little inconsistent. I suggest having A require more than a bonfire though. Stuff like a burning building or wildfire or a magma flow seems more appropriate.

4) is +7 for that reasonable considering her theming?

8 ) I'm pretty sure it would make the field very fiery in any case.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2022, 05:20:04 pm »

I'd say 5 or 6. Normally I'd say less, given how much else the skill allows, but given you used a point for it and the general theme, I think 6 should be fine.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2022, 05:20:48 pm »

Largely good, though in need of some slight edits.

War-king's effect should be written as "+5 to your roll under number Agility when rolling for evasion or accuracy in melee combat." and given it's B rank, probably +4 instead of +5.

For Blade of Kings, the effect would be more akin to the NP William Tell has, rather than doing 100 damage a hit, you can pay 50 mana to automatically deal 100 damage to one or more enemies. For instance, Tell's is "60 damage to one enemy." at the cost of 30 mana. Also a more minor thing, Fate NP types are generally written as "Anti-X" where X is something like Army, Unit, Fortress, to describe how big the effect is, or, in more specific ones, Anti-Demon, Male, or Mountain.

Yours would probably be
Noble Phantasms:
Blade of Kings (A) Anti-Unit
Cost: 50
Description: the noble sword of the king of the Tuatha De Danann, this blade cuts through flesh and steel like butter.
Effects: 100 damage to one enemy.

so how would i word the blade of kings thing just augmenting my sword, because thats what i want.  other than that, i will make the changes.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2022, 05:48:05 pm »

sheet edited with the requested changes and clarifications.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2022, 06:01:01 pm »

Largely good, though in need of some slight edits.

War-king's effect should be written as "+5 to your roll under number Agility when rolling for evasion or accuracy in melee combat." and given it's B rank, probably +4 instead of +5.

For Blade of Kings, the effect would be more akin to the NP William Tell has, rather than doing 100 damage a hit, you can pay 50 mana to automatically deal 100 damage to one or more enemies. For instance, Tell's is "60 damage to one enemy." at the cost of 30 mana. Also a more minor thing, Fate NP types are generally written as "Anti-X" where X is something like Army, Unit, Fortress, to describe how big the effect is, or, in more specific ones, Anti-Demon, Male, or Mountain.

Yours would probably be
Noble Phantasms:
Blade of Kings (A) Anti-Unit
Cost: 50
Description: the noble sword of the king of the Tuatha De Danann, this blade cuts through flesh and steel like butter.
Effects: 100 damage to one enemy.

so how would i word the blade of kings thing just augmenting my sword, because thats what i want.  other than that, i will make the changes.
If you want the NP to just make your basic attack stronger... I can't allow it to just be +100 to damage, as that would be too powerful, especially as you already have +40. I'm thinking perhaps something along the lines of

"+ to Strength and Agility until the end of combat. When you attack a unit, -3 to their roll under number for Endurance for Damage Resistance. +40 to damage until the end of combat."

Also letting you know, things are all still in flux, so if it turns out stacking + to damage effects is OP, they may get nerfed. Most likely cutting them in half.

sheet edited with the requested changes and clarifications.
Thank you.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2022, 06:43:11 pm »

edited
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2022, 10:53:24 pm »

Hmmm, considering taking part in this. If I do though I'll likely be fleshing out one of those Servant ideas submitted to the Fate/School Life contest, as otherwise my interests lie quite solidly in videogames and shows rather than literature, history, or mythology.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2022, 11:07:13 pm »

Hmmm, considering taking part in this. If I do though I'll likely be fleshing out one of those Servant ideas submitted to the Fate/School Life contest, as otherwise my interests lie quite solidly in videogames and shows rather than literature, history, or mythology.

You could always do what Fate does and make a video game or show character and pretend they're a literature, historical, or mythological character.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2022, 11:31:44 pm »

You could always do what Fate does and make a video game or show character and pretend they're a literature, historical, or mythological character.
Eh, if Smoke is okay with that then we'll see.

Here's some questions though:
Firstly, what if we want a Weapon with a mechanical effect, but don't want it to be our Servants Noble Phantasm? Could we just make it a skill like various Noble Phantasms are treated as in FGO and just say "This is actually a Noble Phantasm, but is treated as a Skill for the purposes of this game" or?

Secondly, am I correct in assuming that we can have an NP that both deals damage and has effects as long as it has a high enough rank to afford the amounts of both given?

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2022, 11:49:00 pm »

Yes to both, and for Stirk’s suggestion, don’t be too transparent about it, but if you want to take a historical figure and give them the traits of a video game character you like… I mean, this is Fate. Odysseus wears nanobot armor and controls the Trojan horse, which is actually a transforming mech. Romulus is a Saint Seiya character. I’d suggest more taking the concept than a specific character, but I’m not going to be upset if you take some liberties with the character as long as they are close enough to be recognized as the figure. Though Fate/School Life is a good starting point for anyone who isn’t sure what they want to do. Here is a link.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 11:51:24 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2022, 11:55:18 pm »

Yes to both, and for Stirk’s suggestion, don’t be too transparent about it, but if you want to take a historical figure and give them the traits of a video game character you like.., I mean, this is Fate. Odysseus wears nanobot armor and controls the Trojan horse, which is actually a transforming mech. Romulus is a Saint Seiya character. I’d suggest more taking the concept than a specific character, but I’m not going to be upset if you take done liberties with the character as long as they are close enough to be recognized as the figure. Though Fate/School Life is a good starting point for anyone who isn’t sure what they want to do. Here is a link.
So what you're saying is, making Zagreus as the version from Hades, or something similar for say, The Furies or Sisyphus, is perfectly valid?

Also, I feel like some more concrete definition on what effects Ranks have on Personal Skills is needed.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2022, 12:03:51 am »

Like I said, I’m not 100% on taking the character wholesale, but I’m ok with you adapting the concept, though I’d recommend remembering that the take the Nasuverse has on the Greek gods is different than the one Hades has, along with certain figures, such as Artemis, Achilles, Medusa, Asterios, and others already existing in Fate, using the Zagreus example, and that that may be something to check out to make sure there isn’t too much conflict.

Ranks for personal skills, while looser than ranks for class skills due to the wide variety of them, tend to serve to denote how powerful the skill should be. For instance, say you want a skill that boosts agility in movement and luck in finding things. A Rank A version of that skill could give you a +4 to two different things, while a D rank version would probably gives you +1 to them unless other limits are added. Given how many individual skills are possible, I felt strict guidelines would end up just getting more questions than the “write it out and then we’ll talk” system.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 12:05:48 am by Smoke Mirrors »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41