Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [47.05] DwarfCrafted v1.2 - A Minecraft Mod  (Read 9538 times)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
[47.05] DwarfCrafted v1.2 - A Minecraft Mod
« on: February 22, 2022, 08:09:34 am »

DwarfCrafted - v1.2 [47.05]

NOT AN OFFICIAL MINECRAFT PRODUCT. NOT APPROVED BY OR ASSOCIATED WITH MOJANG.

This mod aims to translate the things unique to the world of Minecraft (creatures, plants, ores etc) into the world and spirit of Dwarf Fortress. This includes spinoffs in the Minecraft franchise, such as Minecraft Dungeons (MCD), to a lesser extent Minecraft Earth (MCE) and Minecraft Story Mode (MCSM), and whatever may come out in the future.

DFFD Download Link Here

Changelog Link Here

This mod will not add anything from Minecraft that exists in the real world (eg, animals), even if Vanilla DF doesn't have it; other mods should be used for real world stuff. The exception to this rule will be if it's strongly tied to a fantasy thing somehow; for example, if cows didn't already exist in DF, I would have added them for the sake of mooshrooms.

This mod was created with the help of the Dwarf Fortress RAW language server extension, which I recommend to anyone wanting to make Dwarf Fortress mods, either for the first time or as a veteran.

Installation

Copy-paste all files this mod's `/objects` folder into the `/raw/objects/` folder from Dwarf Fortress.

Content

Civilizations
  • Villagers: a trade-loving, pacifistic civilization.
  • Illagers: a power hungry and evil civilization, though slightly less chaotic than goblins.
  • Piglins: a civilization of lawless, thieving hunters who love a good scrap.
Creatures from Minecraft
  • Creepers: stealthy plantlike quadrupeds with sad looking faces. They explode when they get near.
  • Testificates: these are the villagers; a species that are essentially identical to humans, but have tall bald heads and massive noses. A little stronger than humans too, and greedier, more singleminded, but somehow less vain.
  • Illagers: testificates whose skin is sickly and grey thanks to use of dark magic long ago in their past; was it worth the cost? Some among them are born with magical powers.
  • Piglins: greedy, messy, and not very bright, these piglike creatures come from a hellish plane and are well used to extreme heat, being nearly fireproof.
  • Ravagers: massive beasts created by illagers to use as beasts of burden and war, and which all seem to have faces suspiciously like those of testificates, humans, dwarves, elves or goblins.
  • Allays: small, friendly nature spirits who love music and dance.
  • Phantoms: legless, winged undead reptiles that lurk at night in swarms, generally in places of death and evil.
  • Silverfish: ugly, swarming, huge bugs (huge for a bug anyway!) with horrid hairy tendrils all over their body. They lurk underground.
  • Slimes: green cubes made of living slime, found in swamps and the underground.
  • Mooshrooms: underground-dwelling cows which have mushrooms growing out of their bodies. They come with many different types of mushroom - red, brown, plump helmet, dimple cup, tower-cap, and fungiwood.
  • Wardens: shhhh! Treat lightly, these things lurk in the deepest darkest caverns, and are blind, but they have excellent abilities to hear and smell to offset that, and are terribly strong.
  • Shriekers: found in the underground, disturbing these immobile growths of sculk and bone will lead to the appearance of wardens!
  • Guardians and Elder Guardians: ocean-dwelling artifices made of prismarine; they look like one eyed fish with huge spikes, and they can fire beams of electricity from their eyes that both shock and fatigue you. Their elders can fatigue you just with a glance.
  • Glow Squids: little squids that live in pools in deep caverns, and glow.
  • Iron Golems: big golems made of iron created long ago; they are often used by the villagers for work.
  • Snow Golems: magically animated snowmen wearing mysteriously never-rotting pumpkins. They toss snowballs.
  • Endermen: mysterious and tall, intelligent creatures from another dimension; they flicker in and out of existence, seemingly trying to go somewhere, but failing.
  • Endermites: vicious little parasites that tend to appear when endermen "flicker".
  • Shulkers: mollusks that also seem to have flickering problems and be sort of ill? They can't actually be found anywhere except arena mode because I can't figure out where to put them.
  • Enderdragons: megabeasts that inflict a matter dissolution syndrome with their breath and their body.
  • Withers: demonic, 3-headed undead megabeasts dripping with a slick that causes living things to rot and die.
  • Wither Skeletons: tall, horned undead dripping with the same slick as withers, they are found deep underground and originate from a hellish plane.
  • Ghasts: gigantic floating, crying heads with tentacles dangling below them. They spit fireballs, and their tears have special healing properties.
  • Magma Cubes: cubical chunks of living magma with a creamy consistency, surrounded by a rocky crust.
  • Blazes: floating heads with many solid rods levitating beneath them. They fling fireballs at whatever they see as an "intruder".
  • Striders: armless bipeds that stride across magma like it's nothing, though in turn they cannot tolerate normal temperatures.
  • Hoglins: huge piglike monsters with large tusks and a nearly fireproof body.
  • Vexes: evil spirits summoned by evokers, they are believed by some to be allays whose hearts have been corrupted to evil ends.
  • Fangs: large sets of snapping fangs summoned by evokers as weapons; their origins are unclear.
Creatures from lost mob votes
  • Barnacles (Mob A from the 2017 Minecon vote): sea-dwelling monsters with massive 4-hinged maws and a long tongue for dragging prey into the depths.
  • Chompers (Mob C from the 2017 Minecon vote): huge ambush predators that live underground and in deserts. Their heads are enourmous for their size.
  • Wildfires (Mob D from the 2017 Minecon vote): floating heads with 4 shields levitating beneath them. They fling fireballs at whatever they see as an "intruder", and can produce a smokey shockwave.
  • Glares (2021 Minecon vote): small flying clumps of moss with glowing eyes peering out; they're known for their urge to warn people of danger, by means of getting grumpy and assertively grumbling.
  • Copper Golems (2021 Minecon vote): small little golems made of copper, with lightning rods on their heads.
  • Moobloom (2020 Minecon vote): cows with buttercups growing from their backs, found only in magical places alongside the likes of fairies and unicorns.
Creatures from Minecraft Earth
  • Furnace Golems: essentially iron golems, but with fiery furnaces build into their bodies, which nobody knows how to operate anymore.
  • Melon Golems: magically animated snowmen with mysteriously never-rotting melons instead of heads. They toss snowballs and can spit watermelon seeds as a weapon.
  • Moolips: a variant of moobloom with pink flowers instead.
  • Cluckshrooms: underground-dwelling chickens with mushrooms sprouting from their bodies. They come in all the same variants as mooshrooms.
  • Bone Spiders: gigantic underground-dwelling spiders with a layer of bone protecting their cephalothorax, and the top of their abdomen and legs.
  • Hyper Rabbits: a hyperactive species of rabbit with long whiskers, messy fur, and an unusual color scheme. Inspired by official concept art that never made it into the actual game.
  • Magma Cows: cows made of magma, found deep underground. Inspired by official concept art that never made it into the actual game.
Creatures from Minecraft Dungeons (including DLC)
  • Tropical Slimes (Hidden Depths): cube-shaped chunks of living slime and water, with tropical fish swimming around in their watery layers. They live in oceans.
Creatures from Minecraft Story Mode
  • Prismarine Soldiers: tentacle-bearded, magically animated statues made of prismarine, made to guard now nonexistent undersea temples.
  • Prismarine Colossuses: megabeasts which essentially are just much larger prismarine soldiers.
  • Creeders: horrid abominations that take the explosiveness of creepers, and add arachnophobia.
Creatures not canon to Minecraft
Stones & Ores
  • Prismarine:  a kind of rare undersea stone that shifts colors between various hues of blue and green.
  • Netherrack: oddly soft rock from a hellish plane. It can be worked into netherware, much like clay. This stone is found only in some titans and forgotten beasts.
  • Nether Quartz: a gorgeous white quartz from a hellish plane. This gem is found only in some titans and forgotten beasts.
  • Glowstone: brightly glowing crystal from a hellish plane. This glasslike crystal is found only in some titans and forgotten beasts.
  • End Stone: a pale, highly durable stone from another plane of reality. This mysterious stone is found only in some titans and forgotten beasts.
Plants
  • Giant Azaleas: huge azaleas that grow as large as an oak tree.
  • Glow Lichen: a glowing underground fungus.
  • Sculk: terrible plants that grow in veins deep underground. They possess a morbid presence.
Interactions/Magic
  • Evoker: a caste of illager that summons vexes and fangs.
  • Iceologer (2020 Minecon vote): a caste of illager that summons either big chunks of ice, or deadly sharp icicles.
  • Mage (MCD Arcade mode): a caste of illager with telekinetic powers, mostly consisting of pushing things at a distance.
Planned Content

Note that the below list is in no particular order, and is subject to change.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 11:31:18 am by Mr Crabman »

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DwarfCrafted
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 08:09:57 am »

[reserved]

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 08:10:30 am »

[reserved]

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 08:10:48 am »

[reserved]

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 08:17:24 am »

[reserved]

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
Re: [47.05] DwarfCrafted v1.2 - A Minecraft Mod
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 02:04:08 am »

nice to see this mod updated and stuff to the latest version of DF, been a while since i checked on this development of this mod
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

TheGoomba98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 03:27:51 pm »

Are there any plans to give wardens their ranged sonic boom attack?

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 03:41:27 am »

Are there any plans to give wardens their ranged sonic boom attack?

Yep. I haven't had time to work on modding recently, but I'll get back into it soon.

DuniteOlivine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 02:55:34 am »

I was watching some Minecraft videos after playing DF, and I began really wanting a Minecraft Mod for Dwarf Fortress, so I looked for one and found this. Seems you took a bit of a break from modding just before the Steam version. Want to know if you still plan to come back to this mod for a Steam port. I'd also be willing to help get this mod back up and running, I don't have DF modding experience but I have pixel art experience and can help get this mod any graphics you need.

Because I just play on the Steam version now, I haven't gotten a chance to play your mod yet. So I have some questions about your mod, and I guess also questions about the limits of modding in general. Forgive me if these questions are ignorant:

- Are iron golems and snow golems build able by a player or do they just spawn?
- I'm assuming adding actual dimensions aren't possible, so how do you handle Nether / End content?
- Minecraft has unique mechanics like potion brewing and enchanting. Are these mechanics possible to implement through modding?
- Since you added Creepers, is a TNT trap a possibility?
- Noticed Diamond Gear isn't listed in the features, do you plan to add Diamond (plus gold and netherite) gear?

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 09:26:24 am »

I was watching some Minecraft videos after playing DF, and I began really wanting a Minecraft Mod for Dwarf Fortress, so I looked for one and found this. Seems you took a bit of a break from modding just before the Steam version. Want to know if you still plan to come back to this mod for a Steam port. I'd also be willing to help get this mod back up and running, I don't have DF modding experience but I have pixel art experience and can help get this mod any graphics you need.

Because I just play on the Steam version now, I haven't gotten a chance to play your mod yet. So I have some questions about your mod, and I guess also questions about the limits of modding in general. Forgive me if these questions are ignorant:

- Are iron golems and snow golems build able by a player or do they just spawn?
- I'm assuming adding actual dimensions aren't possible, so how do you handle Nether / End content?
- Minecraft has unique mechanics like potion brewing and enchanting. Are these mechanics possible to implement through modding?
- Since you added Creepers, is a TNT trap a possibility?
- Noticed Diamond Gear isn't listed in the features, do you plan to add Diamond (plus gold and netherite) gear?

Yeah, I've kind of taken a break for a while, but I do hope to come back to the mod and get it on Steam. To be honest, I could have done it FAR sooner (I've tested a development version privately on Steam, and it pretty much works as-is), but I wanted to at least have some rudimentary art (even if it was totally awful) before putting it on Steam. But I don't have any pixel art skills, so I massively procrastinated and put it off.

Art is pretty much the main barrier to this mod being on Steam; if you could help with that side of things, that would definitely be a massive help.

As for answering your questions:

1. Iron and snow golems can't be built, they only generate with the world, and are considered "tamed" for villager civs. This is a limitation of DF at the moment, because the only alternative would be to make them breedable. Future updates of DF will make it possible to build golems.

2a. Shulkers don't appear anywhere, because I haven't figured out where to put them. Endermen can appear anywhere, in any biome (or at least, they should; I need to test in the new version, because it's possible there's a bug stopping them from spawning anywhere except the underworld). Endermites are spawned by endermen attempting to teleport (in reality, teleporting doesn't exist in DF yet, so I just have a "try to teleport but fail" interaction that can spawn endermites). Enderdragons are just another megabeast.

2b. Piglins are a civilization who tend to hang out in hot tropical or desert biomes, and Withers are megabeasts that can appear anywhere. All other Nether creatures spawn in the deepest layer of the underground, and the underworld. Except hoglins, who might have the same problem as endermen with only spawning in the underworld and nowhere else.

2c. End and Nether materials (like netherrack or endstone) pretty much only appear as materials that procgen beasts (forgotten beasts, or titans) can be made of.

2d. I want to clarify that when DF adds support for dimensions (which is in the roadmap), I do intend to make those dimensions and move the Nether/End content there.

3. Those mechanics are sort of possible, maybe. I haven't looked into it much yet, but some potions seem more likely than enchanting, and maybe an extremely limited version of enchanting could be possible. All of that full enchanting stuff will likely be possible in future DF updates though.

4. No, TNT traps aren't really possible, and even creepers don't really actually explode "properly" code-wise, because real explosions aren't supported by DF yet.

5. Netherite is planned to be added, and gold equipment/armor already exists in DF as far as I remember. But I have no plans to add diamond gear, because diamonds already exist and are not a material that can be used for good equipment, and I don't think it fits the spirit of DF to alter the stats of diamonds.

TheGoomba98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2023, 04:26:02 pm »

I honestly don't think the lack of graphics should be a barrier to getting this mod out in the newest version of DF - I mean, the premium version of DF lets you switch between graphics and ASCII at any time you want, and the classic-only versions from 50.04 onwards are available for free. Maybe you could put the development version on DFFD only for now?

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUNS:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2023, 05:52:12 pm »

I got a suggestion for for some of the content:
- Evil deserts could be flavored into little bits of the End, with chorus trees and shulkers living there natively (invasively?)
- For nether stuff, I think it's possible to just add grass to the underground hell layer? You might be able to make nether materials spawn as large clusters inside slade, and classify netherrack as a "soil" that would then allow nylium to grow.
- Collecting soul soil as clay and making it into Soul Fire, a turquoise version of the fixed-temp fire material. This probably isn't eminently practical, but certainly a !!FUN!! usage of nether materials.
- Giant mushrooms in savage temperate broadleaf forests to mimic the roofed forest biome?

I can help with graphics, too. Not sure what visual style you want to go for since DF has non-blocky animals, but a lot of the weirder mobs are specifically designed around the blocky look.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
I make mods! http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=181821.0

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2023, 02:19:07 am »

I got a suggestion for for some of the content:
- Evil deserts could be flavored into little bits of the End, with chorus trees and shulkers living there natively (invasively?)
- For nether stuff, I think it's possible to just add grass to the underground hell layer? You might be able to make nether materials spawn as large clusters inside slade, and classify netherrack as a "soil" that would then allow nylium to grow.
- Collecting soul soil as clay and making it into Soul Fire, a turquoise version of the fixed-temp fire material. This probably isn't eminently practical, but certainly a !!FUN!! usage of nether materials.
- Giant mushrooms in savage temperate broadleaf forests to mimic the roofed forest biome?

I can help with graphics, too. Not sure what visual style you want to go for since DF has non-blocky animals, but a lot of the weirder mobs are specifically designed around the blocky look.

- That could potentially work, regarding the End creatures and evil deserts.
- For Nether stuff, I did try adding some nether materials to the hell layer, but it unfortunately didn't work. What happens is it picks a random material out of all the materials chosen to generate in the hell layer, and replaces all of the slade.
- The Soul Soil into Soul Fire idea strikes me as a bit odd, and creating carriable fire seems inappropriate for the tone of Dwarf Fortress at this time (by the time of the magic update, it would make a lot more sense).
- Giant mushrooms in savage forests could work, I'll consider that.

Last time we spoke, Dunite told me he was still working on it but has been busy for a few weeks, but that was back in the middle of May, and he hasn't contacted me since (or even logged into Discord, as far as I can tell, since he hasn't moved off the old discriminator tags), so if you could help with graphics, that would be great. The artstyle we settled on was non-blocky (except for slimes, who are deliberately kept blocky), and he did send me sprites for a bunch of the Overworld mobs.

Dots321

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Today at 12:16:14 pm »

Its a shame this mod isn't for 50.xx. I'll see what i can do getting at least some kind of graphics. I can see into the future, spinoff mods introducing stuff from some notable minecraft mods into Dwarf Fortress(ie Aether, Twilight Forrest, etc).