Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Autumn Kingdom Adventure  (Read 4082 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Autumn Kingdom Adventure
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2022, 04:18:30 pm »

Chapter Eight - Autumn Kingdom Adventure

After some pondering what to do next Medmor decided to try to find his mount.  The Giant Pumpkin.  So he moved in a spiral, expanding his search pattern outwards, and exploring the plants and animals available in his new homestead.

He found and killed a groundhog.  He also collected some material that might be used to make a stone axe in the future.  But he couldn’t nap the stone.  He needed two types and could only found one.  Needed a dagger or a knife to work on the bone or ivory.  Might need to go south to trade?

And still could not find his animal!  Well, plant, whatever.

So he decided to make a table and placed it in his house.

And his chest was now full of…stuff…that might prove useful.  In the future.  Now if he could only farm.  Or fish.

Looks like he might have to go back to the major market town to the south if he wanted better tools.

OOC: Why do I always seem to make a cabin in the woods?!?!
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2022, 03:07:41 am »

Because nothing says peaceful like a cabin in the woods.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2022, 06:58:41 pm »

Chapter Nine - Autumn Kingdom Adventure

Medmor wanted a blade to carve the bones and ivory.  Maybe the market to the south, past the farming village, would have something he could use?  Or maybe he could find the right stone?

He would have to take meat, water, weapons to protect himself, and some of the coins from his chest.

So he picked up what he needed and was off!

He stopped at hamlet, named Reinspears, and asked if he could sleep til morning.  They allowed him to sleep in one of the houses.

After eating some meat and drinking some water he moved on.

When he finally made it to the town of Horncombined he was still hungry and ate another meal.

In the market place, next to the farmers, were vendors selling weapons.   He looked for a knife.

He found a short silver sword, a human weapon, slipped it into his pack and walked away.  Most of the traders were sleeping or fighting each other.  So it was easy to do.

Would a sword be useful for carving?

He refilled his waterskin and searched the shops for a second one.  The leather shops had clothing but no waterskins.  He tried a metalsmith, figuring he was have flasks, but the smith had no inventory.   And another leather ship had amulets and bracelets but no waterskins.

Earrings, pants, amulets, and bracelets.  All made of leather.   Well, at least he had gotten a sword.  Ahem.

So he headed back home, picked up some groundhog bone, and carved away

So it worked.  He could hunt, eat the meat and sell carved bones.  Maybe.  The marketplace had not taken his coins.  But maybe he could sell carved bones for local coins?

Was this his future?  A tale telling bone carver living in the woods?  Who sometimes picked up...hmmm....free stuff?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2022, 01:14:05 am »

'Free stuff' is the best kind of stuff!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2022, 07:34:34 pm »

Chapter Ten - Autumn Kingdom Adventure

Medmor wondered how much he could get for the carved bones and realized the only way to find out was to go and trade them at the market place in Horncombined.

He hoped they didn’t arrest him for…..er…borrowing the short silver sword?

So he prepared for his journey south, making sure to leave the sword behind, and carrying or wearing as much of the bone items as he could.

On the way south he found, killed, and butchered another groundhog.  This region was full of yummy animals and seemed to be free of dangerous ones.

By noon he was sleeply and stopped Reinspears to ask if he could sleep in one of the houses til recovered.  Maybe he would move south during the night or stay until dawn?

The first house had a farmer and a siege engineer who seemed to be having a disagreement. 

The farmer, who seemed to own the house, agreed that Medmor could stay the night.

When he woke up he ate a meal and drank some of his water and decided to peek outside.

Outside was dark and it was raining.  But there seemed to be no danger.  Maybe moving on during the night wasn’t a bad idea?

He arrived at Horncombined at night.  Knowing there would be nobody to trade with he searched for a house to sleep in till dawn.

Sadly, he could not find a house, and those who were awake were guarding over sleeping lifestock.  Or just wandering outside for some reason.  And were not able to give him permission to sleep in a house. 

So he wandered into a shop and tried to sleep til dawn.  It didn’t work as the owner woke up and tried to sell Medmor something.

So Medmor when and tried to sleep in the streets.  Like most of the populace was doing.

But he woke up before dawn, hungry and thirsty, so he ate some meat and drank some water.

Well he tried to.  His water had turned to ice and he figured making a fire in the middle of town would likely be frowned upon.  Not that Pumpkin people could frown.  But you get the idea.

So he went out of town, near the frozen river, and melted the ice.

Then he went back to sleep next to the fire, once again, wanting to wake up with the sun.

He woke up late morning, filled up the waterskin from the river, and went to the nearest shop to see if he could trade his wares for ….well….anything useful.

Sadly the Metalsmith still had no inventory.  But maybe he would buy the bone wares for coins?

It worked, kind of.  The Metalsmith now owed him five copper coins.

And Medmor received a silver coin!

So he could trade with the local shops.  Or at least trade them bone wares for coins.

But did the market place have what he needed?  And could he get a extra waterskin for a silver coin?

Nobody was selling waterskins but he did try sell some of his meat to a human butcher.

And once again it worked.  The butcher was happy to buy from fresh meat from the wilds.  In other words Medmor got four copper coins.

He was pretty sure the meat he handed over cost more but didn’t wish to haggle.

So he could hunt, eat, drink, make wares to sell.

But could he use his story telling skills also?

So he decided to tell a story in the middle of the market place!

Some found it interesting.  And some did not.  But what do humans know anyway?   At least the Pumpkin farmers seemed to like it.

He marched north and made it back home by noon.

He put the coins in his chest and thought happy thoughts.

Surely he could make a living here.  Hunting, trading, telling stories.

---------------------------------------------------------------

OOC : I think I will end it here with a happy if boring ending in which my character does not get killed or eaten!

Does anybody know how to retire an adventurer?  So far the only choice it to starve to death.  He has Lair but I can’t seem to retire him.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2022, 02:07:37 am »

I think you have to make a zone of some kind in your camp and claim it, I think that's how it works otherwise I guess you could retire in the town maybe.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2022, 09:50:24 am »

Chapter Eleven - Autumn Kingdom Adventure

And so Medmor claimed the land for himself.

And he went down in history.  As a not very interesting Pumpkinhead.

So ends the only adventurer not to be eaten or killed.  What a weird feeling!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2022, 03:30:30 am »

We got a happy ending after all.
Pages: 1 [2]