Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75

Author Topic: Webadict's Simple BYOR 2 - Game Over: Town Win  (Read 46658 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Webadict's Simple BYOR 2 - Game Over: Town Win
« Reply #1095 on: April 11, 2022, 05:44:06 pm »

It's hard to know exactly when we dropped the ball; more like we were like a knife juggler who keeps dropping stilettos in his own arteries.

--

I would describe my strategy as "scattered", or perhaps, "non-existent". I should have just picked a few allies to buddy instead of being too town-NQT and attacking literally everyone.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: April 11, 2022, 05:50:55 pm »

If you made Roden look bad instead of Tric on D3 that might have worked better since I didn't fully trust Roden yet.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: April 11, 2022, 06:05:38 pm »

If you made Roden look bad instead of Tric on D3 that might have worked better since I didn't fully trust Roden yet.
Ironically, if I'd have done some basic sentiment analysis and mapped out the animosities like I normally would have done as town, that could have helped me realise this!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: April 11, 2022, 06:11:23 pm »

Good game.

I don't know why you kill me on Night 2.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: April 11, 2022, 06:31:57 pm »

4mask made the call but I take responsibility for my late night paranoid suggestion:

notquitethere — 31/03/2022
That should redirect any protects on Toony or Max to you as well. I suggest you activate refraction shield and shoot Tric (he's not protected and it stops him blabbing about being manipulated).

notquitethere — 01/04/2022
Some additional thoughts, 4mask:

I don't see the value in giving the shield away as it's pro-scum so you should use it.

You might want to shoot Jim instead of Tric as you gave him a potential double vote and that might screw us over. But he currently trusts you because of it... so idk
VoidStaresBack — 01/04/2022
Bluh bluh bluh
Yeah I'm not giving away any of my items currently they out me as scum
Jim vs. Tric...
We can shoot Jim, sure

This was the biggest mistake of the game.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: April 11, 2022, 06:58:06 pm »

I don't think I've ever seen mafia last this long after being correctly named on day 1. Or was it only day 2? Either way.

Man, this one was a mess all around, huh? ToonyMan, I've gotta be honest with you, you screwed up repeatedly due to failure to trust your instincts. You had so many opportunities to vote out 4mask, whom you openly suspected! I have noticed that you are much better as mafia than as town, which, incidentally, is why I started by voting you on the first day.

Webadict, to what extent were you thinking about our individual playstyles when you set up the roles? I feel like some of them were designed to work against the player - mine and Tric's, certainly - and I wonder if that was an intentional challenge.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: April 11, 2022, 09:18:33 pm »

Webadict, to what extent were you thinking about our individual playstyles when you set up the roles? I feel like some of them were designed to work against the player - mine and Tric's, certainly - and I wonder if that was an intentional challenge.
TricMagic's was certainly set up to match TricMagic's style in a bit of an anti-/synergistic way. In a way, it plays like he does, but there were multiple workarounds for his role, and his playstyle was used against him in terms of balance. His role is stupidly broken, but it's also fragile.

Your role was pretty strong, but the setup was balanced around it. If anything, I made this game as a way to make Miller claims less powerful. Currently, every Miller claim is almost always true, and this was meant to allow for Knightwing64 to claim Miller for free, as well as make you painfully aware that there will be consequences for claiming things.

Mostly, I want you to get used to insane setups so that claims can be less provable. I will start telling the Mafia setup information that gives them extra claim power so that the Town cannot reverse engineer the setup. I will likely add in Auto abilities that do (seemingly) nothing, or give the Mafia much more power to fakeclaim, and also punishing the "claim immediately" strat. ToonyMan actually did well, claiming only what he needed to.

I think this game had the potential to royally destroy Town, but it felt fairly balanced overall, with maybe a bit too little power in a few Players' roles. I think if you have any comments, concerns, or criticism about your role or the game, feel free to post them. I think the thing that I enjoyed the most was NO DAY ABILITIES. Best decision ever, would do again.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: April 11, 2022, 09:32:12 pm »

TricMagic's was certainly set up to match TricMagic's style in a bit of an anti-/synergistic way. In a way, it plays like he does, but there were multiple workarounds for his role, and his playstyle was used against him in terms of balance. His role is stupidly broken, but it's also fragile.
I felt like mine had the same effect, in that, since I had to wait and queue up free actions to use it to its full extent, and the mafia had access to a protection-piercing kill, it punishes my compulsive honesty just like Tric's punishes his immediate claiming and tendency to blow a powerful one-shot right off the bat. (Mine also had the opportunity to blow a powerful one-shot right off the bat, I guess, but I'm more the "potion hoarder" type so that worked with my instincts instead of against them.) I know you've noticed the compulsive honesty thing since you've mentioned it before. And also, it's obvious.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: April 11, 2022, 09:38:40 pm »

GG

Looking at what mafia had, that definitely explains why I felt like town had too much power. Mafia pretty much hard countered what town had without it feeling unfair, IMO. My biggest weakness this game was probably being so paranoid of Toony up until literally moments before his death, second weakness being that I was too unsure of my reads. I wish I pushed harder for my plan Day 2 since that would've ended it there, but I kept thinking "oh god what if I'm just tunneling again".

Triple Millers was hilarious btw. Pretty funny that I got it after I tunneled a Miller in a previous game lol.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: April 11, 2022, 11:08:01 pm »

I felt like mine had the same effect, in that, since I had to wait and queue up free actions to use it to its full extent, and the mafia had access to a protection-piercing kill, it punishes my compulsive honesty just like Tric's punishes his immediate claiming and tendency to blow a powerful one-shot right off the bat. (Mine also had the opportunity to blow a powerful one-shot right off the bat, I guess, but I'm more the "potion hoarder" type so that worked with my instincts instead of against them.) I know you've noticed the compulsive honesty thing since you've mentioned it before. And also, it's obvious.
Funnily, I didn't realize the part where you could essentially endlessly add people to your inspect, but that seems fair, given the downside. My initial thought was that you would use the ability as a double hitter, by making a rolename inspection on Day 1 and then a Day 2 double guaranteed inspect (Since you could also use one as a free action and one as a regular action). I kinda like how yours was setup, because it had a lot risk and reward built into it. I think the build up style of inspection is good, and also the "100% guaranteed" inspection feels good, and when I saw that you could massively break the game, that ALSO felt good from a player perspective because with enough setup, the payoff would be huge.

Overall, I think your role did exactly what it needed to, and all parts of it felt kinda fun, even if the mass inspection takes a bit to build up to it. It created a lot of guessing on who would be important to inspect versus who the Mafia might kill versus when the time to trigger for best effect, which is all social deduction and potentially manipulation, so it was a great role from my perspective.

Personally, I'd rate your role 9/10, and the only reason it's not 10/10 is because I don't like inspection roles, but there's too much to like about it.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 12, 2022, 09:07:39 am »

Quote from: Night 1
4maskwolf Perform Mafiakill on Toonyman
... Fun, guess I know who I protected. That day 2 gave a lot of info out of that. GG all.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: April 12, 2022, 10:09:31 am »

Think about it this way:

You protected me from 4mask on N1 and 4mask from me on N2.

Nice and balanced.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 12, 2022, 11:41:23 am »

Think about it this way:

You protected me from 4mask on N1 and 4mask from me on N2.

Nice and balanced.

As all things should be.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: April 12, 2022, 03:02:42 pm »

It's hard to know exactly when we dropped the ball; more like we were like a knife juggler who keeps dropping stilettos in his own arteries.

lol

Feeling very good about this game for one where I had a D1 launch. Proud of myself for getting this and that done despite the very low postcount.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 12, 2022, 03:32:33 pm »

Y'know, for as much as the mech went against us and I got distracted by things in real life, I will 100% take pushing EuchreJack over on D2 as a win lmao.

Sorry Jack.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75