Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Jerk Groundhog and Exterminator.  (Read 5524 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jerk Groundhog and Exterminator.
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2022, 01:20:18 am »

Bury the trap so only the groundhog can get to it and no one else.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2022, 09:44:20 pm »

Not sure how to bury the trap. Odd thing, the exterminator repeatedly laid traps, and I saw the groundhog sniff at it once. He knew there's an apple with peanut butter on it in there. Passed.... The coons were all about it though. Racoons really don't get it for whatever reason.

I agree that the cats are probably full and happy off a diet of birds and bunnies, and sometimes garbage when they manage that. They just don't want to go outside their comfort zones and the person who said they don't want to follow groundhogs underground is probably right.

I agree that flooding is also probably a less advisable idea, because I'm pretty sure he's tunneled under the shed and yeah. That could wash away soil and stuff. No good solution there really.

I looked at traps and the ones he had probably cost about $150 a piece. So, yes, in hindsight I could have bought some for that much. Although, I know I would have had to kill whatever I trapped in there, which is kinda meh. Not a huge fan of that idea, but I don't know. I could probably do it, but that's another not so great thing. I don't have time, energy or ability to find a place to live relocate trapped animals myself, and in some cases it is illegal to do that. Sometimes, depending on the animal, (racoon) you have to kill them if you trap them.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2022, 02:42:26 am »

Just release the critter at night then on the side of some random road then no one can say it's illegal. Also you don't have to kill it if you catch it in a live trap, especially if no one knows you've caught it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2022, 08:46:13 pm »

Now that the groundhog knows you humans have evil intent towards it, it is going to avoid those smells. But, like all animals, if you put enough stress on it, it will decide somewhere else is better than 'here'.

Groundhogs make multiple exits from their burrow. Find them.

Instead of putting water into the hole, use smoke, miasma, noise... when you do this, the groundhog may block off that hole on the inside and make another exit hole, so you'll need to watch for those.

- miasma: rotten-moldy-slimy veggies that makes you want to vomit, dumped just inside the hole entrance, then cover the hole with something heavy
- run an extension cord near the hole entrance, plug in a bluetooth speaker that has decent bass, put something heavy over it to, play rammstein on loop
- put about 5 sheets of paper into the hole, light them on fire, cover it. Or, burn an incense stick instead.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2022, 10:15:41 pm »

I'm still thinking the buried-trap idea may work. Change out the bait to throw the groundhog off. Maybe make it bountiful so it's worth the digging. It might be some work but dig out someplace to put it, preferably near a groundhog tunnel exit, then put the trap in there, cover it with a plywood sheet, then put the dirt back on top of it.

Maybe even put it directly in the groundhog hole.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2022, 04:08:00 pm »

Dynamite

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2022, 02:32:30 am »

You could also start stomping all the tunnels and stabbing them with something, but blowing them up would probably be the fastest way.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2022, 12:14:05 pm »

Maybe -- gas the tunnels with nitrogen gas. It'll asphyxiate what's inside but won't pollute the environment. You could do it by pouring liquid nitrogen down a hole.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2022, 12:36:36 pm »

Maybe -- gas the tunnels with nitrogen gas. It'll asphyxiate what's inside but won't pollute the environment. You could do it by pouring liquid nitrogen down a hole.
Who's got Nitrogen gas lying around?
Now, Chorine Gas is easily created with everyday household items, and qualifies as a War Crime!
Disclaimer: May kill the homeowners also

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2022, 01:02:53 am »

Now, Chorine Gas is easily created with everyday household items, and qualifies as a War Crime!
A gasmask and filters can easily be gotten from an army surplus store, then once equipped you can commit war crimes against the groundhogs with out fear of becoming a victim of your actions!   

Also you will need to make sure the filters are newer than the 70s so they don't have asbestos in them.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2022, 10:52:37 am »

My mom had a similar groundhog problem.  She got a pair of barn cats (adorable but keep 3-4 feet away from all humans) but she still had to put out a trap.  I think she caught and released a groundhog twice, and that seemed to work!  Also the deer stopped nomming her garden too - I'm convinced the cats are responsible for that.

Sorry cats and traps don't seem to be working for you yet ):  And those poor raccoons ):  It is what it is though.  Seems like the trap should work eventually, but I have no idea how to make it stop catching raccoons instead.  Good luck.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2022, 11:29:44 am »

Presumably, after all the racoons are caught and released somewhere else, they might start catching groundhogs.
Racoon vs. groundhog going for food = Racoon "wins"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2022, 03:27:07 am »

I think the OP said something about the racoons having to be killed because of some crap about them potentially having rabies.

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2022, 12:01:43 am »

Knowing my luck, that'd probably kill me off....

Yeah, the exterminator guy said it was a law that if he catches a racoon he has to kill it for rabies no matter what. Has to turn in the body for "rabies testing analysis." Turns out to be a licensed exterminator, there are a lot of rules he has to follow. I guess it kinda makes sense that someone with access to a ton of poisons, traps, and lethal things along with all the vermin they are lethal to, might be someone the government could keep an eye on. He said there's an license class and exam about all the poisons, and how to tell of someone is impacted by them, and what to do. Same deal with venomous snakes and things. He has to keep lists of every customer and what poison he used when in case someone gets sick and he has to tell whatever doctor treats them about it. Also he can get in deep trouble if he poisons someone. He also has to do a whole thing with any animal that might be diseased, and all that. They also track certain insect, and rat populations.

He actually showed me the logbooks he has to keep. So I actually feel slightly better about paying him. Ideally the government would pay and employ someone to do crap like keep track of diseases in animals like rabies but here we are.

While I have not seen the groundhog in a couple days, and the cats have free reign of the yards, I bet it is still down there.
Pages: 1 [2]