Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bootglowed - The story of my first successful fortress  (Read 505 times)

dwarfisdumb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Bootglowed - The story of my first successful fortress
« on: October 09, 2023, 06:24:49 am »

I was recently looking back at some alternate timeline saves I had created of currently retired forts, and decided to return and play around in a personal favourite of mine - Bootglowed(Cograb in dwarvish). I know people on these forums will be used the crazy and over the top forts and projects, but there is still plenty of crazy stories in humour in what should be such a mundane fort.

Spring 100 - The founding of the future capital
A dwarven group of seven would have been sent to colonise a new land, The Gilded Hills, a land which is home to little but human hamlets as colonies of a much larger human nation. This area offered a great opportunity for the Manor of Pelts, a great empire of southern dwarves and the second largest dwarven nation on the everlasting planet. after a journey of two weeks the small group arrived, immediately digging a small hole into the ground that would one day become the empire's capital. The fortress would be separated into layers the uppermost a farm, followed by an industrial area, with storage below. by the time spring came to its end construction on a great tavern, The Barricaded Laborious Spice, had begun- the great social hub starting us nothing but a small beer hall below the kitchens.

Summer 100 - First migrants move into their new home
Shortly after the tavern was constructed the first wave of migrants arrived at the fortress, prompting the construction of bedrooms by expedition leader Dorab, and for the rest of the season construction continued, the tavern being expanded to include a dining hall as mining began deep below the surface.

Autumn 100 - Trade and diplomacy
As autumn approached positions were appointed such as manager, broker, and bookkeeper, all preparing for the arrival of the trade caravan arriving from home. When the caravan arrived trade began, random trinkets such as mugs and gems were traded for rations and metals, with word of the outpost reaching many

I won't mention winter as nothing happened...

Hope you all enjoyed this first post, maybe i will continue and describe the rest of the history if this gets some reaction.

dwarfisdumb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Bootglowed - The story of my first successful fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 03:23:15 am »

from now on i will chronicle important events as they happen, instead of each month, as they get a lot more boring from now on.

Summer 101 - Housing troubles
A huge migrant wave hit this season, leading to a housing crisis that lasted over a year, dwarves were arriving faster than new rooms could be created and furnished leading to many sleeping on fortress floors or tavern dormitories. leading to an overall low mood for everyone around

Spring 102 - Warriors and Caverns
Due to a series of deaths from insanity due to a fey mood, a floor that served as a series of tombs had to be excavated, leading to the discovery of a cavern of spiders and other beasts. The discovery of said cavern provided the need for the creation of a military, and thus the first squad was produced - the ironguard of boots, a well armed and powerful military force made of only the most skilled dwarves. At the same time a sheriff was appointed, and jails constructed. All of which would prove useful in due time

Winter 102 - Crime and Punishment
In winter the first crimes were committed, all minor violations of production order leading to short sentences in the dungeon, that was until an important artifact mug went missing. There was mass interrogation of tavern visitors, though eventually the thief was found not to be a goblin or kobold, but one of our own dwarfs. The gelder claimed he was controlled by a group who paid him though no further evidence of this group's existence was ever shown, leading to his arrest and long jail sentence.

103 - The year of the first werelizard crisis
Starting in the spring there was an arrival of a great and powerful werelizard, the great beast led to the first use of the newly constructed above-ground walls and drawbridge sending the fort into lockdown until the military was prepared to challenge the beast. Soon the ironguard was prepared, opening the bridge to face the beast, unfortunately a few civilians would get involved in the fight, and in the chaos their injuries were never properly checked... This would come back to haunt the fortress in early summer, where a child would transform into a beast and bite several dwarves before he could be slain. Many dwarves would be expelled but a few would make it out, this chain of destruction would continue for many months until in the autumn when the last werelizard was expelled. Now there were many were lizards roaming the land and the fort had lost much population, luckily the crisis seemed to be a precursor to a golden age.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 04:04:18 am »

Keep the reports coming!

It's always nice to read of other people's forts.

dwarfisdumb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 05:20:06 am »

spring 104 - beginning of a new era
In the ashes of a damaged fort a greater city would rise, with many new migrants replacing those who were killed or exiled during the great werelizard crisis. This new wave of population led to great expansions being made to bootglowed and restoration efforts to areas such as the burial chambers and tavern. now with the past behind them the people of bootglowed were prepared.

autumn 104 - military expansions
As time progressed many mercenaries arrived to bootglowed, most of them humans, with them allowing for many military squads to be created and trained. around this time the werelizards that were banished returned, though they were easily slain by the military and caused no spread of their curse.

105-107 - the golden age of bootglowed
In the space of just three years bootglowed went from nowhere to a grand duchy, with a promotion in each of these years, expansion slowing down as it became a thriving metropolis. a large human minority developed  in these years, most of them mercenaries and bards, but many requested citizenship and began to live a normal life in the fortress as if they were dwarves themselves.

109 - A capital of a great nation

this is the year where the king arrived, declaring bootglowed the capital of the manor of pelts, and home of many scum members of the nobility. overall this is where bootlglowed stagnated, not much changed over the years, with the fort continuing to be the grand capital even many years later

dwarfisdumb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 06:52:21 am »

Keep the reports coming!

It's always nice to read of other people's forts.

Thank you man, it's nice to see someone appreciate such a standard fort, mainly because there are some crazy(and truly amazing) projects people have on these forums