Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Stalkmatches - The blade of many hands (Weapon Succession Game)  (Read 22352 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stalkmatches - The blade of many hands (Weapon Succession Game)
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2022, 10:53:06 am »

still working on fitting this into my schedule. I will have an update at the latest this weekend :]

if someone is really jumping at the bit and wants to play this turn, be my guest. otherwise, I will fight my other responsibilities back much like Nashra fighting the guards at Dipshovel, in the quest to wield the great blade once more.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2022, 01:21:49 am »

Hey wanna give this try, add me in.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2022, 07:08:33 am »

Hey wanna give this try, add me in.
Added
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2022, 07:02:07 pm »

Shem Roadtongue, the gizzly bear man, set forth from Portalwires the dwarven camp in search of a good drink. Besides his bear-like qualities, Shem worked for local nobility as a clothier, and was skilled in the profession.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or at least, that's what he used to do - he now found himself on somewhat of a binge. In fact, he had run out of money, and taken to stealing whatever booze he could - which is why he spent last night in an abandoned campsite on the edge of town.

But, now, it was morning and he hoped people would simply fail to notice he looked exactly like the strange, fuzzy brown creature that stole everyone's beer last night as he strolled past their houses on the hunt for some breakfast. But all Shem could find was a bag of crusty rhubarb stalks.

His paws took him north, unknowingly closer to the sword. Shem rambled over hill and stream, and struck paths through forest after forest of dense trees. Shem felt an urgent need to explore, searching for food, beer, and excitement, and bear-women. He had never met another bear-person, and often dreamt of love.

In truth, it was a series of innocuous adventures that occurred, and none worth recording - until he stumbled into a strange man carrying a deadly-sharp whip. Shem practically trampled him as they crossed paths, so unexpected was this encounter, and upon seeing the travelers immediate hostility, tried to calm him down. The lasher agreed, "I will fight no more," . .

. . and then struck true with his bronze whip.

The lasher's first strike caused a mortal wound, opening up a major artery as it did. Also separating Shem from his sword in the process. Panicking, Shem thrust forward and grappled with the lasher, finding no purchase at first, but then some ungodly urge came from within and Shem simply turned his massive head and BIT. The crunching of bone and tendon brought a newfound rage, why should he be attacked and die in this pitiful forest, just as the adventure was beginning? It took another 6 or 7 bites before the lasher was killed.

With a few scraps of cloth, torn from the assailants garb, Shem crafted a tourniquet and was saved from certain death.

==========

Next to a blue rock statue of some ancient abbot, Shem discovered a set of cobaltite dice. Feeling a bit klepto today aren't we, Shem? They were stashed for later.

Shem continued north, through the low-lying valleys beneath the towering summits to the west, and the swamps and hills to the east. He had eaten through the rhubarb at this point, when he came upon a very strange thing indeed: an empty town market, still full of goods. The items did not seem any worse for wear, and he found bags upon bags of fresh plump helmets. Some of the buildings were damaged, with large scars torn into the structure. He found a fallen signpost, and apparently this place was called "Clearrake".

And then, the most glorious sight: a field of gemstones, scattered amongst the sand. With the sun above, Shem almost had to look away as the brilliant flashing was too much to handle (I almost said bear but I am better than that).

Shem went to work, after checking for witnesses one last time, and begun scrambling around the sand for gems. As he picked up the various colored cabochons, Shem would throw them into the now-half full bag with the slightest tinkle, smiling as he went. What glorious wealth! And no need to worry about currency exchange and all that, which was a touchy subject for him as much of his trade as a clothier depended on a healthy economy. And he was still in between jobs, assuming this adventuring thing failed to pay off.

There were too many to grab all of them, and eventually Shem retreated back into the forest, with his newfound wealth barely slowing him down. Ok. Maybe just a little.

====

That night, sleeping at the edge of town, Shem dreamnt of a great silver star, flashing down from the sky in the shape of a deadly blade of light, illuminating Shem and his surroundings. What could it mean?

ooc: I cant find the sword ffffffff
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 07:03:52 pm by Salmeuk »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2022, 02:41:14 pm »

I don't know why i thought dipshovels. Even my story said Stickssinew. My bad. In The Absolute Spark inside Stickssinew on a pedestal
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 02:55:13 pm by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2022, 09:59:47 pm »

With a bag of jewels in one hand, and a bag of plump helmets in the other, Shem traveled north. Passing through the shallow desert valley of the region, and through the dark pits and small villages, and into the seaside foothills full of fruit trees and pleasant breezes.

========

Further he went, eventually reaching a hamlet by the name of Stickssinew.

There, at the edge of town, was a grand building, full of artifacts, and entirely abandoned. He found evidence of a recent traveler, and, more importantly, some kind of old sword. It was stained and covered in dirt, but lacked any sign of rust and seemed as sharp as the day it was made. Shem also found a pair of earrings of exceptional quality, and a silver flask engraved with the name "The Blood of Life." Aptly, the flask was full of a strange blood, something inhuman as it swirled with strange magic as it was emptied on the floor.

The blood failed to congeal, instead swirling faster and faster, forming into a strangely familiar pattern. Staring for a moment, Shem recognized it as a map of the region. The blood swirled around a particular point, over the eastern mountains, and seemed to suggest to Shem he should travel there.

Shem figured this was his payment for finding this cool sword, so whatever, he was game for a bit more adventure. It had proved lucrative so far. .

========

The journey east was uneventful. Even crossing the mountains was a quick feat, and soon enough night was falling in the desert just north of the destination. Shem was still unsure what he would find, and as he fell asleep, propped up under a tall saguaro (the only plantlife growing in this region), he dreamt of jeweled cloth, yards of it, falling from the sky and smothering him.

========

Shem woke the next day to a group of two vultures, staring at him, trying to deduce if he was dead or dying. He scared them off and began the climb. Only a few small shrubs clung to this bare, mountain rock. Soon, Shem came to the top of the hill, and looked east. A small stream ran down the mountain, past his vantage point and continued to flow north. No sign of anything amiss, no villainous towers or great pits of death. Just a few yaks.

Shem scrambled down the hill to the stream, and decided to double back north, following the water and searching amongst the low stone walls of the mountainscape.

Then, Shem looked up to a wall of literal fire. The trees ahead, at the foot of the mountain, were ablaze. It must have been recently lit as Shem had seen no smoke on the way up the mountain. But what could cause such a thing ?

There, perched on the stone, surrounded by burning, was a great, green Dragon. This dragon was staring right back at Shem, apparently curious but unconcerned. So Shem approached, and spoke out:

"How are you feeling, O Great Dragon?"

No response.

"How are things, O Great Dragon who towers over me?"

Still, no response. Shem tried a joke, then simply anything. No response. Not even to the plainest of compliments.

Shem grew bored of this. Obviously, he was meant to slay the dragon, and it wasn't his business if the dragon wanted no part in the fighting. A job was a job, even when the instructions came in the form of strange blood-swirls on the floor of a strange temple.

Shem took his time and, when the dragon looked most distracted, pounced at their neck and struck true.

Multiple more strikes were landed, with no real retaliation. A stab here, a slash there, the dragon was bleeding now and having trouble breathing. Shem was ecstatic!

Then, in his jubilance, he dodged when he should have blocked, and was throw off the small hill into the burning foilage below. The shock paralyzed him, giving the dragon time to land a burst of flamebreath, which melted Shem's left paw and left him weaponless. Horrifyed, he tried to crawl away... the dragon showed little mercy. First, Shem's arm was ripped from his body, and then those great teeth found their grip on his head and . . *crunch* . . . Shem was no more. 

The dragon Cobim Brandsweltered the Luxurious dropped the lifeless bear-man to the ground, and carefully picked up the small cloth bag, peering inside at the pile of brilliant blue-red jewels. "These dumb adventurers finally brought me something interesting!" thought Cobim, before returning to his mountainside lair. It would take a year to heal from these wounds, but the dragon had time.

As for Stalkmatches? As Shem's corpse emptied of blood, a small trail formed on the ash-covered ground, and trickled down the hillside, to where Shem was first dis-armed, where that silver-steel sword now lay. And so Stalkmatches was sated with the blood of Shem, the bear-man clothier and late (mis-)adventurer.

And there the blade remains, buried in the ash at the foot of the dragon's lair, guarded by Cobim.

=======

thanks for reading, this swords remains OP and great fun. The dragon was dead to rights but then I got a bit lazy and auto-attacked, resulting in a really inopportune series of dodges/ failed strikes. And all it takes is one burst of fire to end you. That DAMN dragon lol

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15946

Good luck to the next adventurer. I never got a chance to roll the chaos dice, oh well..
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 10:08:22 pm by Salmeuk »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2022, 04:37:46 am »

Great story. Shame that the wielders seem to meet these fates but it is the will of the sword.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 05:04:05 am by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2022, 01:54:17 pm »

Oh hell' haven't even finished my previous writeup and it's the next already? I'll try to buckle down with the stories this time' downloading the save now.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2022, 02:03:52 pm »

I've downloaded this world and it is absolutely massive. So many civs and stories to uncover!

Add me to the list please Avo - hopefully it won't clash with my Museum turn :D
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2022, 04:50:55 pm »

Will update now and add you to the list Kesperan

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2022, 08:25:51 pm »

it really is a BIG world. I was originally seeking out some other dragon, but then I realized... that said dragon was literally across a continent. Adventure mode is perilous and time-consuming, so I changed targets. There are like a bazillion dragons and other beasts.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2022, 04:56:43 pm »

Alright' sorry for the delay. Got distracted halfway through my turn and couldn't really play.
Save here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15955
I'll try to be faster with the writing this time; I'm not a native English speaker and find writing actual prose somewhat intimidating (and am a chronic procrastinator to boot)' but hopefully I'll get it done quickly.
Good luck out there' Unraveller!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2022, 05:13:47 pm »

Not at all Yarlig, no pressure to do a write up asap. Take your time :)

Drunken scholar

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2022, 02:04:40 pm »

Hey everyone! Sorry for the delay, unfortunately this is currently not the best time for me to get invested in a game, any chance I can be bumped down to the bottom?
I've lost control of my life.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2022, 02:48:55 pm »

Hey everyone! Sorry for the delay, unfortunately this is currently not the best time for me to get invested in a game, any chance I can be bumped down to the bottom?
No worries, hope everything is okay. Bumped to the bottom.

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11