Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: A Modern Problem  (Read 2238 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: A Modern Problem
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2022, 10:34:45 am »

I had already said that societal advancement and reform is necessary.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2022, 10:43:40 am »

Unless you directly alter humans, they wont comply.

See how well humans obeyed a simple directive to cover their faces to avoid spreading a highly dangerous and highly contagious pathogen for the past 2 years.

(if it causes irritation, inconvenience, or worst of all, simply smacks of authoritarianism (which being forced to obey to avoid an extinction level event would, in every capacity), they will ALWAYS plant their feet, deny, spread misinformation and lie to themselves and others, to avoid having to either accept the reality of the situation, or to have to accept the changes mandated. They will preferentially consume the misinformation, over actual facts, because it FEELS better to them.  All of this has been demonstrated IN SPADES for the past 2 fucking years. It's not me being a crank, it's how it really is.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 10:48:25 am by wierd »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2022, 11:36:29 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162916.msg8357310#msg8357310
Dumped my thoughts on life extension elsewhere, as I think the purpose here is to discuss the perils of being too smart for one's own good.
I will say the following about life extension: I doubt it will be limited to the intellectual elite.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2022, 10:05:10 pm »

See how well humans obeyed a simple directive to cover their faces to avoid spreading a highly dangerous and highly contagious pathogen for the past 2 years.

(if it causes irritation, inconvenience, or worst of all, simply smacks of authoritarianism (which being forced to obey to avoid an extinction level event would, in every capacity), they will ALWAYS plant their feet, deny, spread misinformation and lie to themselves and others, to avoid having to either accept the reality of the situation, or to have to accept the changes mandated. They will preferentially consume the misinformation, over actual facts, because it FEELS better to them.  All of this has been demonstrated IN SPADES for the past 2 fucking years. It's not me being a crank, it's how it really is.)
Plenty of countries didn't do too bad regarding COVID relief, and that's because of a less dangerously libertarian culture. That is what needs changing.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2022, 03:07:33 pm »

Plenty of countries didn't do too bad regarding COVID relief, and that's because of a less dangerously libertarian culture. That is what needs changing.
Note: Libertarian culture in the United States is tied into the Marijuana legalization issue.  There aren't a lot of studies about marijuana's effectiveness to support it's being labelled "medically necessary", but a lot of people want marijuana, and thus they advocate for a lessening of restrictions.  Having consumed copious quantities of Legal Marijuana, they start pondering other things...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2022, 10:43:55 am »

As concerns medicinal substances found in weed, as relates to Covid-19, the preliminary study I read says that the kind you get from weed that makes you high is not effective. You basically want the cannabinoids found in industrial hemp. AKA, the kind that WONT get you high.  The active ingredient you want is the CBD, not the THC.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2022, 11:03:18 am »

Who knows, with all the pondering they might even turn out too smart for their own good

let

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2022, 11:40:31 am »

I support legalizing weed, though I completely stand by my point about technology and libertarian culture and which of those two is really the problem.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2022, 11:53:41 am »

I support legalizing weed, though I completely stand by my point about technology and libertarian culture and which of those two is really the problem.
I was more trying to point out one reason why libertarian culture has flourished.  Not everyone for weed's legalization is libertarian.  Some people just like weed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]