Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 4.6 BETA  (Read 37183 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 3.61
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2022, 12:19:13 am »

Found a pretty bad issue in adventure mode. Whenever I try to get my adventurer to eat something, game just remarks that "X is too cold to eat." I was hoping this was just a regular dwarf fortress thing and there was some solution, but it might be mod related. I've tried both a post-human immortal and a post-human adaptive, and both haven't been able to eat due to too cold food.

Are you in a cold area like a tundra or glacier? It might be that is the case. Try making a campfire and heating the food. Alternately, is it a strange kind of food? What food is giving you this trouble?
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Bones Johnson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2022, 10:08:06 am »

Found a pretty bad issue in adventure mode. Whenever I try to get my adventurer to eat something, game just remarks that "X is too cold to eat." I was hoping this was just a regular dwarf fortress thing and there was some solution, but it might be mod related. I've tried both a post-human immortal and a post-human adaptive, and both haven't been able to eat due to too cold food.

Are you in a cold area like a tundra or glacier? It might be that is the case. Try making a campfire and heating the food. Alternately, is it a strange kind of food? What food is giving you this trouble?

Just crab meat. Though I tried finding some other things, think I encountered some un-humans trying to move north where it'd maybe be less cold, and that meat is too cold to eat as well apparently. Heating food with a campfire doesn't do anything, unless I need to do it ten or so times in a row or something. I don't think it's tundra or a glacier, as there's no snow around and the river water isn't frozen. Pressing P always says the environment is deathly cold though.
There's a skeleton in all of us, waiting to burst out.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2022, 01:23:22 pm »

Just crab meat. Though I tried finding some other things, think I encountered some un-humans trying to move north where it'd maybe be less cold, and that meat is too cold to eat as well apparently. Heating food with a campfire doesn't do anything, unless I need to do it ten or so times in a row or something. I don't think it's tundra or a glacier, as there's no snow around and the river water isn't frozen. Pressing P always says the environment is deathly cold though.

Very strange, it might be I set the minimum temperature too low. Did you do anything to modify the game besides following the installation instructions? If you used advanced worldgen, which world did you pick?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 03:05:11 pm by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Bones Johnson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2022, 05:39:30 pm »

Very strange, it might be I set the minimum temperature too low. Did you do anything to modify the game besides following the installation instructions? If you used advanced worldgen, which world did you pick?

Didn't do anything special with the instillation other than add the kruggsmash graphics, but that shouldn't have suddenly caused problems when there weren't none. And yeap, did advanced world gen using medium world large population, stopped at around 453 years.
There's a skeleton in all of us, waiting to burst out.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2022, 08:47:40 pm »

Didn't do anything special with the instillation other than add the kruggsmash graphics, but that shouldn't have suddenly caused problems when there weren't none. And yeap, did advanced world gen using medium world large population, stopped at around 453 years.

Very strange, I can't seem to replicate it on my end. Just to be safe I'll be tweaking temperatures next update so they're a bit milder overall.

CrashyMcGee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 3.65
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2022, 10:06:35 pm »

I believe that the "too cold to eat" isn't actually caused by the temperature of the surrounding area, and by immortal and adaptive posthumans who will always report that it's deathly cold no matter how warm or hot it is.
Also, lore question. How are bio-deities and info-deities related? Bio-deities convince a civilization that they're one of the info-deities roaming about before ruling the civ ingame, and I was wondering how that translated in the lore.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2022, 07:33:36 am »

I believe that the "too cold to eat" isn't actually caused by the temperature of the surrounding area, and by immortal and adaptive posthumans who will always report that it's deathly cold no matter how warm or hot it is.
Also, lore question. How are bio-deities and info-deities related? Bio-deities convince a civilization that they're one of the info-deities roaming about before ruling the civ ingame, and I was wondering how that translated in the lore.

Hmmm, if its the body temperature that would be weird, but possible. I will look into it and fix if it is.

As for the lore question, most info-life is the cancerous self-sustaining fragments of Myriad minds uploaded onto the datasphere. Biodeities as biomechanical life forms engineered to represent the will of the Myriad. Modern bio-deities, lore-wise, aren't impersonating an info-deity, but acting as a conduit and avatar for that intelligence to act on the physical world. But since the Myriad are gone and info-deities are incomplete or heavily derived life forms, they are often erratic or dangerous in behavior. But because they are still very intelligent, many civs continue to rely on them.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 08:57:03 am by squamous »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2022, 02:01:42 pm »

How did you go about renaming biomes? Very interested in learning that little trick.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2022, 04:23:40 pm »

How did you go about renaming biomes? Very interested in learning that little trick.

In the language_SYM files, there's categories called NAME_(biome). Change the words under that to change the biome names. But if the names include stuff that is forbidden by a civ to use (such as evil words for dwarf civs), the names will come up blank. So the words you pick have to be allowed for all races.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 04:38:44 pm by squamous »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2022, 05:17:56 pm »

In the language_SYM files, there's categories called NAME_(biome). Change the words under that to change the biome names. But if the names include stuff that is forbidden by a civ to use (such as evil words for dwarf civs), the names will come up blank. So the words you pick have to be allowed for all races.
Ohoooo, Okay now that's a nifty bit of info. Thank ye kindly.

CrashyMcGee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 3.67
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2022, 10:59:21 pm »

Beating music and bright lights...
The sound of footsteps, closer and closer...
The taste of stale stimulants hangs on the tongue...
A man's face, thin mottled skin, old white hair, and gangly smile...
Sound spills over and between yellow teeth embedded in inflamed gums...

Did they ever tell you about that creature out there, who snatched babes out of their cribs and prowled at night looking for lone travelers to eat? No? Well let me tell you about it, how's that?

This story started a long time ago, during the first years of The Long Night when a hereditary cyborg was born. Yavaic Untakaex was of no great importance, her parents of no great importance either. Her father died while she was eight; an accounting officer dead in a war who couldn't kill a single soul. Her mother was a diplomat officer who took up lovers left and center after her husband's death. She never married again, however. Must have really loved her husband, despite only being married for three years total before and after their divorce. Got killed by one of those things, an autonomous biogunship, a dragon.
Spoiler: Parents (click to show/hide)

Yavaic picked up mercenary work when she was of thirteen years, five years after her father died. Unlike her father, she was good at killing. Put seven lo-castes in an early grave alongside three bioframes during pitch battles in Vrak Kerhos. Much like her father, however, the line of work killed her. In four years she got shot dead and buried in a prison of dirt and was soon forgotten by the world. In the grave perhaps she found a semblance of peace amongst eternal death. How dour then, that it was not to last.
Spoiler: Mercenary (click to show/hide)

It was not out of kindness that the biodeity revived her, but divine cruelty beyond what we could imagine. Digging her corpse out of shallow soil in Groovedglide, Hye Clavedith performed his malign magic. Twisting and mangling, he turned her corpse into a monster of both body and mind. Given horrid life, this was when law-men in the region noticed children going missing. It's rumored that her body did not morph as quickly as her mind allowing her to stay hidden from the law. Recorded even, that she attended and participated in several athletic events. She eventually settled in Shockmartyrs, a place she previously targeted, where for ten years she murdered in the dead silence of the night. Twenty-four grizzly kills, spilt and strewn and hewn underneath a full moon. When she was found out she fled into the wastes and that was the last they saw of her for sixty-odd years.
Spoiler: Post Revival (click to show/hide)

Now, I'll tell you it isn't agreed on why she waited for those sixty-odd years before springing out into the limelight again. Some say it was to incubate to her full form. Weird people say it's because she was supposed to die at that point, her body and mind not meant to live this long. That she was a rotting mind trapped in a desiccated, null body rampaging in a world that did not make sense. Odd, right? Personally, I think she just became bored after all those years in hiding. The only certainty I can tell you is that she had not a glimmer glint of humanity on her return. Storming into city bunkers she would maim and kill, always fleeing before military forces could crush her. Puncture holes the size of fists were driven into the poor sods, while others were simply churned into a mass of gore. Some that came back from her maulings alive were changed, altered in the way that their eyes looked at the world.
Spoiler: Rampage (click to show/hide)

But unlike a lot of stories that revolve around monsters of this Long Night, there was a hero to save the day, to slay the foul thing. Unfortunately, it was an adaptive drone by the name of Hasvel that laid low the demon in the year nine seventy-three. It was a lucky shot, Yaviac was the only thing that drone ever laid low despite their numerous raids on Shishorn. Good ol' Shishorn, raiding practice for the whole world over. Not a single successful defense to their name, the bandit filth. Their heavy muscle fiber nanosuit was named Vala Vhia after the encounter refers to how a clod of circumstances led to Yaviac's death and not some grand fate. They partook in some more raids against Shishorn before becoming an Ipar Hud of Etzo Ha. You know about Etzo Hud, right? Eyezhud, info-deity that appears as an adaptive drone for some reason, works with storms, nature, blight, and disease? Gets confused with Tohatu Kirn who commune with that info-deity of light due to their names both meaning the same thing and that they were both established in the early two hundreds? Both of them get provoked when you mix them up? Oh, you do know about them! Anyway, Hasvel later died of old age. At the same time, Vala Vhia got passed down to their descendants who claimed it under Hasvel's mother Lenye Eorpou, a pact holder, an overseer of Halkrit Xsit. Beyond that, they lost the thing in six years flat, how do you manage that?
Spoiler: Death (click to show/hide)

In the end, Yavaic killed eighty-five during her nine hundred and fifty-two years of terror across these lands before her demise. Twenty-four from her moonlit killings, while the rest came from her untold rampages across the lands.
Spoiler: Kills (click to show/hide)

Now I'll admit, there is one loose end here. I've talked about the creation from life to birth, but what of the creator, that horrid originator, that corruptive reanimator responsible for the terror that was Yaviac's second life? Let me clue you in on a truth, an inescapable truth. The truth that not even the avatar of Jino Rafustisaki could escape The Wheel of Karma, under which Hye Clavedith was crushed.  How cold of karma, for his opulence in ruling the spacer nation of Cuicizicazar as both lead general and governor lead him to a monster, not made by a horrid intelligence but by brutal, advanced evolution.  The creation outlived the creator, as common in life, repeats here once more as Hye died in year three eighty-three, dead by hyperpredator.
Spoiler: End of the Start (click to show/hide)

What do you mean that my terminology is outdated!? The dictionary just underwent how many changes now?! You mean to say that during my speech that somehow it went from version 3.50 to version 3.67!? Damn nabit, I probably sound like a surface dweller right about now…

Yellow teeth embedded in inflamed gums slam shut...
The sound of footsteps, farther and farther away...
Beating music and bright lights still blare...
What an odd fellow…
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 11:07:27 pm by CrashyMcGee »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2022, 09:08:28 pm »

Beating music and bright lights...
The sound of footsteps, closer and closer...
The taste of stale stimulants hangs on the tongue...
A man's face, thin mottled skin, old white hair, and gangly smile...
Sound spills over and between yellow teeth embedded in inflamed gums...

Did they ever tell you about that creature out there, who snatched babes out of their cribs and prowled at night looking for lone travelers to eat? No? Well let me tell you about it, how's that?

This story started a long time ago, during the first years of The Long Night when a hereditary cyborg was born. Yavaic Untakaex was of no great importance, her parents of no great importance either. Her father died while she was eight; an accounting officer dead in a war who couldn't kill a single soul. Her mother was a diplomat officer who took up lovers left and center after her husband's death. She never married again, however. Must have really loved her husband, despite only being married for three years total before and after their divorce. Got killed by one of those things, an autonomous biogunship, a dragon.
Spoiler: Parents (click to show/hide)

Yavaic picked up mercenary work when she was of thirteen years, five years after her father died. Unlike her father, she was good at killing. Put seven lo-castes in an early grave alongside three bioframes during pitch battles in Vrak Kerhos. Much like her father, however, the line of work killed her. In four years she got shot dead and buried in a prison of dirt and was soon forgotten by the world. In the grave perhaps she found a semblance of peace amongst eternal death. How dour then, that it was not to last.
Spoiler: Mercenary (click to show/hide)

It was not out of kindness that the biodeity revived her, but divine cruelty beyond what we could imagine. Digging her corpse out of shallow soil in Groovedglide, Hye Clavedith performed his malign magic. Twisting and mangling, he turned her corpse into a monster of both body and mind. Given horrid life, this was when law-men in the region noticed children going missing. It's rumored that her body did not morph as quickly as her mind allowing her to stay hidden from the law. Recorded even, that she attended and participated in several athletic events. She eventually settled in Shockmartyrs, a place she previously targeted, where for ten years she murdered in the dead silence of the night. Twenty-four grizzly kills, spilt and strewn and hewn underneath a full moon. When she was found out she fled into the wastes and that was the last they saw of her for sixty-odd years.
Spoiler: Post Revival (click to show/hide)

Now, I'll tell you it isn't agreed on why she waited for those sixty-odd years before springing out into the limelight again. Some say it was to incubate to her full form. Weird people say it's because she was supposed to die at that point, her body and mind not meant to live this long. That she was a rotting mind trapped in a desiccated, null body rampaging in a world that did not make sense. Odd, right? Personally, I think she just became bored after all those years in hiding. The only certainty I can tell you is that she had not a glimmer glint of humanity on her return. Storming into city bunkers she would maim and kill, always fleeing before military forces could crush her. Puncture holes the size of fists were driven into the poor sods, while others were simply churned into a mass of gore. Some that came back from her maulings alive were changed, altered in the way that their eyes looked at the world.
Spoiler: Rampage (click to show/hide)

But unlike a lot of stories that revolve around monsters of this Long Night, there was a hero to save the day, to slay the foul thing. Unfortunately, it was an adaptive drone by the name of Hasvel that laid low the demon in the year nine seventy-three. It was a lucky shot, Yaviac was the only thing that drone ever laid low despite their numerous raids on Shishorn. Good ol' Shishorn, raiding practice for the whole world over. Not a single successful defense to their name, the bandit filth. Their heavy muscle fiber nanosuit was named Vala Vhia after the encounter refers to how a clod of circumstances led to Yaviac's death and not some grand fate. They partook in some more raids against Shishorn before becoming an Ipar Hud of Etzo Ha. You know about Etzo Hud, right? Eyezhud, info-deity that appears as an adaptive drone for some reason, works with storms, nature, blight, and disease? Gets confused with Tohatu Kirn who commune with that info-deity of light due to their names both meaning the same thing and that they were both established in the early two hundreds? Both of them get provoked when you mix them up? Oh, you do know about them! Anyway, Hasvel later died of old age. At the same time, Vala Vhia got passed down to their descendants who claimed it under Hasvel's mother Lenye Eorpou, a pact holder, an overseer of Halkrit Xsit. Beyond that, they lost the thing in six years flat, how do you manage that?
Spoiler: Death (click to show/hide)

In the end, Yavaic killed eighty-five during her nine hundred and fifty-two years of terror across these lands before her demise. Twenty-four from her moonlit killings, while the rest came from her untold rampages across the lands.
Spoiler: Kills (click to show/hide)

Now I'll admit, there is one loose end here. I've talked about the creation from life to birth, but what of the creator, that horrid originator, that corruptive reanimator responsible for the terror that was Yaviac's second life? Let me clue you in on a truth, an inescapable truth. The truth that not even the avatar of Jino Rafustisaki could escape The Wheel of Karma, under which Hye Clavedith was crushed.  How cold of karma, for his opulence in ruling the spacer nation of Cuicizicazar as both lead general and governor lead him to a monster, not made by a horrid intelligence but by brutal, advanced evolution.  The creation outlived the creator, as common in life, repeats here once more as Hye died in year three eighty-three, dead by hyperpredator.
Spoiler: End of the Start (click to show/hide)

What do you mean that my terminology is outdated!? The dictionary just underwent how many changes now?! You mean to say that during my speech that somehow it went from version 3.50 to version 3.67!? Damn nabit, I probably sound like a surface dweller right about now…

Yellow teeth embedded in inflamed gums slam shut...
The sound of footsteps, farther and farther away...
Beating music and bright lights still blare...
What an odd fellow…

Excellent story, and sorry for all the terminology changing lol, I know it can be a pain but I am probably done with the worst of it now. I didn't think biodeities could revive people though, was that a change you made or something I forgot I did? Maybe it was the biodeity learning a combat program or something.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 09:10:45 pm by squamous »

CrashyMcGee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2022, 11:30:43 pm »

I didn't modify anything, I think that biodeities "know" every secret connected to the spheres they're connected to despite not knowing the secret directly during world generation. Sort of like how a megabeast connected to the sphere of [WAR] can teach secrets attached to the [WAR] sphere. At least that's my theory on the matter, if Hye learned it from a combat program it would show that on his name.
BTW, no probs with the terminology, that story was an off-and-on sort of deal. The ending was slapped on to explain why the terminology was off—more my fault for not finishing it sooner.
While I'm here why not spread some snippets, such as this Disney tier villainy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How somebodies favorite possession was dust.
How an adaptive drone fought off a parasitized cyborg transcendent
And how a parasitized exhuman slew 3161 in one battle.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2022, 08:37:30 pm »

I didn't modify anything, I think that biodeities "know" every secret connected to the spheres they're connected to despite not knowing the secret directly during world generation. Sort of like how a megabeast connected to the sphere of [WAR] can teach secrets attached to the [WAR] sphere. At least that's my theory on the matter, if Hye learned it from a combat program it would show that on his name.
BTW, no probs with the terminology, that story was an off-and-on sort of deal. The ending was slapped on to explain why the terminology was off—more my fault for not finishing it sooner.
While I'm here why not spread some snippets, such as this Disney tier villainy.
How somebodies favorite possession was dust.
How an adaptive drone fought off a parasitized cyborg transcendent
And how a parasitized exhuman slew 3161 in one battle.

All interesting stuff, i'm glad to know that all the craziness I've put into the game is working mostly as intended lol. I'll have to look into the biodeity thing. I am hoping that they can just merely learn abilities like humans can rather than start with all of them, which would lead to some pretty formidable entities.

CrashyMcGee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2022, 08:07:50 pm »

I think their abilities only extend to world gen, and not into actual play. They really only seem to know the secret indirectly through their connection to the spheres, so learning the secrets directly would still be a boon to them. I also sort of like it this way. A creature able to resurrect the dead (off-site) and teach heavenly knowledge (that they themselves don't directly know for they're only the messenger) would probably end up the core of a society.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6