Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 4.6 BETA  (Read 38118 times)

ixn

• Bay Watcher
  • bap
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 3.786
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2022, 07:37:46 pm »

I love this mod. Lore's neat. Especially love how you've tweaked the cavern layers and whatnot recently to bring things more in line. I've always been fascinated by the idea of a sort of "trash planet" akin to those "islands" made of plastic bags in the ocean : P
I've started and lost three Venusian bunkers in the past day and a half, mostly from rust-related mistakes (though the last one was a loyalty cascade started in a tavern. I could've sworn those were supposed to be gone now.)
It takes some real fiddlin' to embody certain concepts in DF. Big ups!

Would you consider either mode to be more "complete" as an experience in this setting than the other? Either seems good to me, but there are a few odd spots that rub me wrong in the Fortress implementation. Combat drones are helpful at times, but it doesn't seem possible to assign them to squads or even have them bodyguard an individual? Is that something relating to how they can't be trainable, else civs might start making "hunting combat drones" or "war combat drones" (humorous tautology)? I understand why biochargers and the semi-autonomous meat-suits (their names escape me right now) can't be used to their full extent as mounts aren't really an option for the player in Fortress mode at present. Anything that could be done about that?
she / they

cosmodreamer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2022, 03:21:25 pm »

Hello everyone. Noob here. :o
First - I need to say THANK YOU to the author of this great mod with gorgeous rich lore.
Second - Is there any guide on how to play, how to heal, what to do in the world?
I'm basically trying now adventure mode hunting for cool cyberpunk roleplay and stories.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2022, 12:03:03 pm »

I love this mod. Lore's neat. Especially love how you've tweaked the cavern layers and whatnot recently to bring things more in line. I've always been fascinated by the idea of a sort of "trash planet" akin to those "islands" made of plastic bags in the ocean : P
I've started and lost three Venusian bunkers in the past day and a half, mostly from rust-related mistakes (though the last one was a loyalty cascade started in a tavern. I could've sworn those were supposed to be gone now.)
It takes some real fiddlin' to embody certain concepts in DF. Big ups!

Would you consider either mode to be more "complete" as an experience in this setting than the other? Either seems good to me, but there are a few odd spots that rub me wrong in the Fortress implementation. Combat drones are helpful at times, but it doesn't seem possible to assign them to squads or even have them bodyguard an individual? Is that something relating to how they can't be trainable, else civs might start making "hunting combat drones" or "war combat drones" (humorous tautology)? I understand why biochargers and the semi-autonomous meat-suits (their names escape me right now) can't be used to their full extent as mounts aren't really an option for the player in Fortress mode at present. Anything that could be done about that?

Unfortunately war animals can't be added to squads yeah. They're something of a placeholder for the eventual update where they CAN be used in fort mode, and of course they can currently be used properly in adventure mode as well by the player. If I make them now, I don't need to make them later, basically.

Hello everyone. Noob here. :o
First - I need to say THANK YOU to the author of this great mod with gorgeous rich lore.
Second - Is there any guide on how to play, how to heal, what to do in the world?
I'm basically trying now adventure mode hunting for cool cyberpunk roleplay and stories.

Well, if you want to go adventure mode, something that would give you a lot to do is to start as a hereditary cyborg or normal human and go around looking for slabs and reading them, as this will grant you cool powers to increase your chances of survival when looking for more slabs. Unlike normal DF, slabs can be found in keeps, castles, and fortresses instead of towers.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

cosmodreamer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2022, 12:50:06 pm »

Well, if you want to go adventure mode, something that would give you a lot to do is to start as a hereditary cyborg or normal human and go around looking for slabs and reading them, as this will grant you cool powers to increase your chances of survival when looking for more slabs. Unlike normal DF, slabs can be found in keeps, castles, and fortresses instead of towers.

Thanks for advice!
Will do.
Still learning (dying😀).
Is there chance to recover from neural damage?
Currently I can only crawl and can not walk normally.
Or is it fate to eat humble pie and accept the injury?

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2022, 04:34:20 am »

Thanks for advice!
Will do.
Still learning (dying😀).
Is there chance to recover from neural damage?
Currently I can only crawl and can not walk normally.
Or is it fate to eat humble pie and accept the injury?

If you can find a healing technique in a slab you can recover, or by transforming into a new creature by reading a slab, though the chance of the latter is random.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

cosmodreamer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2022, 06:53:36 am »

If you can find a healing technique in a slab you can recover, or by transforming into a new creature by reading a slab, though the chance of the latter is random.

Thanks again.

ixn

• Bay Watcher
  • bap
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2022, 10:36:05 am »

another thing: i noticed that there really aren't any semi/megabeasts to fill the void left by the vanilla ones (apart from biodeities), any plans or ideas for those? i don't think it'd be dissonant to have some kind of nanite-laden subhuman amalgam(s) to jeopardize bunkers.
she / they

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2022, 08:33:36 pm »

another thing: i noticed that there really aren't any semi/megabeasts to fill the void left by the vanilla ones (apart from biodeities), any plans or ideas for those? i don't think it'd be dissonant to have some kind of nanite-laden subhuman amalgam(s) to jeopardize bunkers.

True enough, I've been thinking on how to implement ones that fit the lore.

Darneoc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 3.81
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2022, 05:30:35 pm »

Is this mod dfhack compatible, I find it difficult to play the game without it and sometimes I just wanna have fun without having "FUN".

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2022, 02:50:45 pm »

Is this mod dfhack compatible, I find it difficult to play the game without it and sometimes I just wanna have fun without having "FUN".

I do not use DFhack or know much about it unfortunately so I cannot answer that.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2022, 10:00:48 pm »

It should work fine, I've used it to pull stuff for legends viewer and recover stuff from rivers or get body parts out of fortifications/trees with autodump on occasion.

Gordon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Long Night 3.825
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2022, 01:29:24 pm »

I was diving in the raws trying to find a material marked as "biofuel" for the coke extraction from protoplasm in the manufacturing centre. There's only one, lipofliud, obtainable through butchery of macrocells. But if I don't embark in a void region, is that reaction forever unavailable, or do traders bring macrocells/lipofluid?

Additionally, are there plans to mark other things as REACTION_CLASS:IS_BIOFUEL, like vegetable oil, unprocessed fat, or tallow? (All three have high energy density.) I can do it myself, of course, but I'd like to hear the Author's opinion too.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 02:09:00 pm by Gordon »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2022, 06:56:56 pm »

I was diving in the raws trying to find a material marked as "biofuel" for the coke extraction from protoplasm in the manufacturing centre. There's only one, lipofliud, obtainable through butchery of macrocells. But if I don't embark in a void region, is that reaction forever unavailable, or do traders bring macrocells/lipofluid?

Additionally, are there plans to mark other things as REACTION_CLASS:IS_BIOFUEL, like vegetable oil, unprocessed fat, or tallow? (All three have high energy density.) I can do it myself, of course, but I'd like to hear the Author's opinion too.

Biofuel is only obtainable from macrocells, yes. There are many ways to get fuel, so you don't need to use it if you don't have it. You'd need to make a fort dedicated to harvesting it in the region they live to benefit from it, and that comes with upsides and downsides.

Gordon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2022, 02:11:33 am »

There are many ways to get fuel

I've found three (charcoal, protoplasm, energetic compound). Are there more?

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2022, 11:15:58 am »

There are many ways to get fuel

I've found three (charcoal, protoplasm, energetic compound). Are there more?

Those would be the ones. There should be an opportunity to use at least one no matter where you settle.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6