Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 58232 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War in Ukraine News Update - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2022, 02:32:40 am »

Supposedly, lend-lease was what allowed Russia to beat Hitler during Stalingrad. so yes, I would say that's major. I've been hearing some other hopeful news lately, which is a nice contrast to the doomerism I was previously engaging in, in the emotion thread. That's enough emotions now though.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2022, 06:14:26 am »

According to der Spiegel, Germany's Foreign Intelligence service claims to have intercepted Russian radio communications where Russians discuss the killing of civilians in Bucha.

Also, a video apparently shows Ukrainian troops killing captured Russian soldiers, claims the New York Times.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2022, 02:54:18 pm »

The UN has voted to suspend Russia from the Human Rights Council: https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/04/1115782 Russia announced it was quitting anyway after the vote was called.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 02:58:16 pm by Flying Teasets »
Not here at the moment

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2022, 03:05:18 pm »

"We'll start our own Human Rights Council! With blackjack and torture!"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2022, 03:11:15 pm »

Ok, please try to refrain from reacting in this thread.
Serious mode....engage.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2022, 03:40:08 pm »

Nobel Prize winner and chief editor of the now banned independent Russian newspaper Novaja Gazeta, Dmitri Moeratov, has been attacked while travelling in a Moscow train.
An unknown person threw a mixture containing red paint over him.
On Twitter, he says that "they threw oil paint on thinner basis through the train wagon. My eyes burned agonizingly".
The people who did this yelled "Moeratov, this is for our boys".

Today, Novaja Gazeta announced that they will continue their journalism with a new newspaper based in Europe, Novaja Gazeta Europe.

I really hope it was just paint, and we're not going to see a death by poison gas or radiation sickness obituary soon.

EDIT: in other news, Pink Floyd came back together for the first time in 8 years to record a new song for Ukraine.
'Hey, Hey, Rise Up' is written in support of Ukraine and it's inhabitants.
It contains singing from Boombox' singer Andrij Khlyvnyuk, from a protest song he sang when Kyiv was attacked by Russia.
Khlyvnyuk is in hospital, recovering from being hit by a bomb fragment.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 03:46:49 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2022, 08:18:54 pm »

On the lend lease that passed in the US Senate, it is called the "Ukraine Democracy Defense Lend-Lease Act of 2022" and it states "LOAN AND LEASE OF DEFENSE ARTICLES TO THE GOVERNMENTS OF UKRAINE AND EASTERN FLANK COUNTRIES.", so it is potentially not just for the Ukraine.

It looks like it passed the Congress too and only needs Biden's signature but don't quote me on this, I'm just looking at this.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2022, 01:53:21 am »

British Fox reporter Benjamin Hall, who survived an attack in Ukraine, while his two colleagues, Pierre Zakrzewski and Oleksandra Koevsjynova were killed, shared the first news about his condition since the incident (march 14).
He has lost half of one of his legs. His other leg's foot is missing. His hand underwent reconstructive surgery, one of his eyes is blind and his hearing is severly damaged. But at least, he is still alive.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 02:35:09 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2022, 03:15:22 am »

Russia admits 'significant' losses, while still maintaining the "fake news" line on anything that makes them look particularly bad (rather than incompetent?)...

Don't have the link at hand, but reports from Ukrainians who were under the thumb of Russian forces near Kiev, until the tide turned, was that the invaders said they expected to only be there "for four days", until they captured Kiev (and... presumably, helpfully provided the 'correct' leadership).

Either it was (what turned out to be) an optimistic estimate by the command[1], or they also lied to their troops. Whoops!

[1] Given the stalled column of vehicles, we all saw, I would suspect this. They were eager to send in a vehicle for every corner, and presumably at some point a Goodwill Parade Of Power with cheering locals and flower-strewing galore to honour the 'rightful' leadership.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2022, 03:52:25 am »

Russian army launched a ballistic missile with cluster submunitions on Kramatorsk railway station knowing that there are thousand of people waiting for evacuation, dozens dead, 100+ injured
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 04:00:02 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2022, 10:05:04 am »

Russians have abducted 121 000 Ukrainian children according to Ukraine’s ombudswoman

Also, this
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 10:20:45 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2022, 03:18:52 pm »

Also, this
(Synopsis/copypaste for those that don't want to create a Facebook account?)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2022, 03:22:54 pm »

The level of brutality of the army of terrorists and executioners of the Russian Federation knows no bounds - raped children…

A 14-year-old girl was raped by 5 occupying men. She is pregnant now. Bucha.

An 11-year-old boy was raped in front of his mother - she was tied to a chair to watch. Bucha.

A 20-year-old woman, raped by three occupiers in all possible ways at once. Irpen.

There is no place on earth or in hell where racist criminals can hide from retribution!

Rape is strictly prohibited by Article 27 of the 1949 Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War.

I appeal to the UN Commission for Investigation Human Rights Violations during the Russian Military Invasion of Ukraine and the expert mission set up by the OSCE participating States in accordance with the Moscow Mechanism to take into account these facts of Russian war crimes in Ukraine.

The racist occupiers must bear the strictest responsibility!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2022, 03:31:21 pm »

Russia has reorganized its command of the operations in Ukraine, according to BBC.

Spoiler: from BBC live reports (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 60