Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 58448 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: War in Ukraine News Update - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #225 on: May 15, 2022, 04:51:26 am »

Eh, close enough.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2022, 05:58:05 am »

As expected, Finland confirms it will apply for Nato membership:

Quote from: The Guardian
More on Finland’s announcement that it will apply for Nato membership, from our colleague, Jon Henley.

“Finland has formally confirmed it intends to join Nato, its president, Sauli Niinistö, has said, abandoning decades of military non-alignment in a historic decision triggered by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

With neighbouring Sweden’s ruling party also holding a decisive meeting on whether to join the 30-member defensive alliance next week, Moscow’s onslaught on Ukraine looks set to usher in the expansion of Nato that Vladimir Putin claimed he wanted to prevent.

Finland shares an 810-mile (1,300km) border with Russia and, like Sweden, has maintained strict policies of neutrality then non-alignment since the end of the second world war, viewing Nato membership as a provocation of Moscow.

However, Putin’s invasion of Ukraine on 24 February has led to a profound change in its thinking, with public support for Nato accession trebling to about 75%. Polls show a majority of between 50 and 60% are also in favour in Sweden.

Three days after Finland’s leaders said it “must apply for Nato membership without delay”, the membership proposal is expected to be laid before parliament for ratification on Monday.

Niinistö called his Russian counterpart, Putin, on Saturday and informed him his country aimed to join Nato, in a conversation he described as “direct and straightforward”. He added: “Avoiding tensions was considered important.”

Russia has repeatedly warned Finland and Sweden against joining Nato, saying such a move would oblige it to “restore military balance” by strengthening its defences in the Baltic Sea region, including by deploying nuclear weapons.

Putin responded to Niinistö’s call by saying Nato membership “would be a mistake, since there is no threat to Finland’s security”, according to a readout of the call released by the Kremlin.

After a cross-party Swedish parliamentary review on Friday said joining Nato would boost Sweden’s national security and help stabilise the Nordic region, leaders of the country’s ruling Social Democrats were also poised on Sunday to jettison the party’s longstanding opposition to Nato membership.

With a decision expected in the early evening, Swedish media reported that – assuming Helsinki sends its application in on Monday – Stockholm is likely to follow suit as early as Tuesday, with the alliance set to launch the accession process immediately afterwards.

Read the full report here.

(As a note about the 75% support for Nato membership in Finland: before Russia invaded Ukraine support was at around 25%. The shift in Finnish attitudes towards Russia and Nato has been swift and dramatic.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2022, 09:29:21 am »

NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg says that after the Finnish and Swedish foreign ministers have spoken with their Turkish colleague, he is convinced that Turkey will not block Finland and Sweden from becoming NATO members.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 15, 2022, 11:09:51 am »

With the Swedish governing party just voting in favour, the last hurdle for Sweden's application to join NATO is passed.
It is expected Sweden will officialy apply for NATO membership this coming week.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 17, 2022, 07:36:37 pm »

The defenders at the Azovstal plant in Mariuspol are evidently surrendering.

The Guardian has an article about this:
Fate of hundreds of Ukrainian soldiers unclear as Azovstal resistance ends

Quote from: excerpt from the article
Fate of hundreds of Ukrainian soldiers unclear as Azovstal resistance ends

Ukraine says there will be prisoner swap but some Russian officials have said forces could be tried or executed

The fate of hundreds of Ukrainian soldiers who have ended weeks of resistance at the Azovstal steelworks in Mariupol remains unclear, after the fighters surrendered and were transferred to Russian-controlled territory.

Ukraine’s deputy defence minister said they would be swapped in a prisoner exchange, but some Russian officials said on Tuesday they could be tried and even executed. MPs in Russia’s State Duma said they would propose new laws that could derail prisoner exchanges of fighters who Moscow claims are “terrorists”.

Russian investigators have said they plan to interrogate the soldiers and could charge them with “crimes committed by the Ukrainian regime against the civilian population in south-east Ukraine”.

On Tuesday evening, seven buses carrying Ukrainian soldiers left the Azovstal plant in the port city and arrived at a former prison colony in the Russian-controlled town of Olenivka in Donetsk, Reuters reported.

Russia called the Azovstal operation a mass surrender, while the Ukrainian army said the soldiers defending the steel plant had “performed their combat task” and that the main goal was now to save their lives.

“Ukraine needs Ukrainian heroes alive,” said the president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, in a video address.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #231 on: May 19, 2022, 01:30:23 pm »

It was inevitable that morale would break eventually under continual bombardment and phosphorous. Though they held out considerably longer than was thought possible; nevertheless, we can only hope the Russian action does not match the bluster

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 19, 2022, 01:48:28 pm »

It was inevitable that morale would break eventually under continual bombardment and phosphorous. Though they held out considerably longer than was thought possible; nevertheless, we can only hope the Russian action does not match the bluster

Semi-officially, they were ordered to surrender and I tend to believe that it is true. There is little military reason to hold that place anymore, they don't divert any significant Russian resources. Also, there is a very real possibility that they ran out of ammo, food, or water.

Meanwhile, it looks like Italy offers Ukraine to capitulate
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 19, 2022, 05:52:45 pm »

A report from the Institute for the Study of War mentions molotov attacks on military comissariats around Russia:

Unknown Russian perpetrators have conducted a series of Molotov cocktail attacks on military commissariats throughout the country this month, likely in protest of covert mobilisation, the Institute for the Study of War has said in its latest assessment of the conflict.

“Russian media and local Telegram channels reported deliberate acts of arson against military commissariats in three Moscow Oblast settlements – Omsk, Volgograd, Ryazan Oblast, and Khanty-Mansi Autonomous District between May 4 and May 18.

Ukrainian General Staff main operations deputy chief Oleksiy Gromov said that there were at least 12 cases of deliberate arson against military commissariats in total and five last week.

Russian officials caught two 16-year-olds in the act in one Moscow Oblast settlement, which suggests that Russian citizens are likely responsible for the attacks on military commissariats.”

There have been many reports of poor morale within Russian forces since the start of the war with some reportedly abandoning their equipment and fleeing the battlefield and others refusing to fight at all or even launching legal action against their deployment to Ukraine.

The ISW assessment can be found here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #235 on: May 20, 2022, 05:44:43 am »

So apparently Italy is under pressure to end the war by any means necessary.

I'll save my thoughts for the Emotional thread...
Reminds me of an MI5 caution that massive arms shipments should also be acknowledged to inevitably carry a risk that people are going to sell their weapons or lose them, with the nightmare situation being some terrorists getting a missile that can take down an airliner. But that's not a new problem.

A report from the Institute for the Study of War mentions molotov attacks on military comissariats around Russia:

Unknown Russian perpetrators have conducted a series of Molotov cocktail attacks on military commissariats throughout the country this month, likely in protest of covert mobilisation, the Institute for the Study of War has said in its latest assessment of the conflict.

“Russian media and local Telegram channels reported deliberate acts of arson against military commissariats in three Moscow Oblast settlements – Omsk, Volgograd, Ryazan Oblast, and Khanty-Mansi Autonomous District between May 4 and May 18.

Ukrainian General Staff main operations deputy chief Oleksiy Gromov said that there were at least 12 cases of deliberate arson against military commissariats in total and five last week.

Russian officials caught two 16-year-olds in the act in one Moscow Oblast settlement, which suggests that Russian citizens are likely responsible for the attacks on military commissariats.”

There have been many reports of poor morale within Russian forces since the start of the war with some reportedly abandoning their equipment and fleeing the battlefield and others refusing to fight at all or even launching legal action against their deployment to Ukraine.

The ISW assessment can be found here.
That is an unexpected level of ballsiness

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 20, 2022, 05:46:23 am »

That is an unexpected level of ballsiness
I know right, Russian anti-Putin partisans are my heroes forever.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 20, 2022, 05:56:46 am »

This is absolutely horrifying. Lyudmyla Denisova (Ombudsman for Human Rights in Ukraine) writes on Facebook about Russian atrocities.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 20, 2022, 06:01:37 am »

Well I hope those soldiers die in the most painful manner. If I was an Ukrainian commander and they got captured by my unit, I'd... I won't say it here for forum rules' sake.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 06:03:31 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 20, 2022, 09:33:53 am »

Good call, MtF.

Keep the news flowing.  It's hard to digest, but its vital to document.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 60