Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 58138 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War in Ukraine News Update - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #270 on: June 06, 2022, 01:53:48 am »

We should make a drinking game out of the dead Russian generals, take a swig every time one dies.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #271 on: June 06, 2022, 04:06:49 am »

We should make a drinking game out of the dead Russian generals, take a swig every time one dies.
One cannot condone reckless alcoholism

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 06, 2022, 04:38:36 am »

This was a "major general", which is actually the lowest rank among Russian generals. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_ranks_and_insignia_of_the_Russian_Federation

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 06, 2022, 05:29:08 am »

Army ranks are a fucking crime against reason, I swear

And why is the goddamn stable boy top commander
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #274 on: June 06, 2022, 11:11:59 am »

For the same reason that the executive is the lowest ranking and the secretary is the highest ranking civil servant

the art of war is based on deception

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 06, 2022, 05:20:35 pm »

One begins to wonder if putin is partly using this war to eliminate potential threats to himself within the ranks of the Russian army
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 06, 2022, 05:28:04 pm »

Their rank structure generally follows the same pattern as everybody else -you start out with Captains leading bodies of men, add a formal position to tenant in lieu of the Captain. Then you have a lot of captains, so you need a Captain General, who then needed their own Lieutenants to the Captain General. Then more ranks needed added as things got more organized, and the Russians just followed the path of adding the rank of Marshal above Captain-General and including Column Leader General to the mix.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 07, 2022, 02:04:56 am »

Sounds like at some point they're gonna rename all Russian military ranks to general, so you'll soon see a private general and other such nonsense.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 07, 2022, 04:50:50 am »

Their rank structure generally follows the same pattern as everybody else -

Yes and their all crimes against reason too! Let's just go back to having army ranks based on how many men you command. This is a Tenman Rambo, he's under Hundredman Killinger.

You could even give each Tenman under each Hundrednan their own decade so one would be Tenman, the next Twentman, next Thirtman, and so on.

There, I've fixed your army ranks. Man, I ought to get paid for this
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 17, 2022, 10:57:55 am »

This is a first hand "Junior Reporter" submission, happened just now (to me at least) and I'm not entirely sure of the nature of it but I feel it's worth mentioning what I know of it.

As a bit of scene-setting, I've got a couple of IdleGames on my device here, to which I never PayToPlay but will support them by watching the occasional ads[1]. Not too much, but enough to make the Dev concerned, and myself, benefit a little from the experience. I would hope.

Occasionally they're videos, rather than trailers (or Youtube video trailers), which I pay much less attention to (down from an already low baseline) and tend to just wait for the "Reward granted" stage. And the one I just had seemed to be this.

The framing of the video was Branded with "The Sun" newspaper banner graphic (English right-leaning tabloid) but also with a URL that looked to be an Airport Parking company. Making me definitely think that there was a bit of false-sourcing by the submitting party. Doubt that The Sun has any knowledge of it, and the parking company site (which wasn't intentionally revealed as possible click-through destination?) probably subverted.

The video itself was clearly composed of drone-shot aerial footage and had insignia (some wolf-type thing across some sort of heraldic design, with a scrolled motto upon it that was latin-looking but indistinct at the downsampled resolution I was viewing at) as if of whatever actual/intermediate outlet initially distributed the video (or not!). Various other HUD-like details were dotted around that might have been on the raw footage as piloting/status navdata, but nothing really clear to me to know what it means or if it might also be post-raw overlay.

(Though before that it started with a compilation of what seemed to be those military vehicles 'hidden' at that shopping centre in Ukraine that was struck by Russia in the first week of two of their campaign, as the 'justification' for what (at that time) was a shocking military attack on civilian infrastructure. I presume, then, that this is justification for the footage that follows.)

The view seems to be of a farm, typical dense grouping of modern steel-shuttered barns and other buildings, green crop-filled fields abutting the plot, etc. And what happens is that various parts of the scene are digitally zoomed in upon and highlighted with semiopaque overlays (prior to anything happening, but post-processing can 'anticipate' what actually happens amazingly accurately, so I'm not falling for the implied videogame accuracy/cause-and-effect) before bits of barn are punctured with small explosions.

I'm no expert in explosions, but they weren't exactly bunker-busters. Not that I'd choose to be in the vicinity, at all, but I imagine I could have been able to be in the barns and... not being much under the hit bit and having a handy hay-bale to absorb schrapnel... the worst effects to me could be noise/shockwave-induced injuries. One shot invokes a larger bit of roiling flame out into the air (diesel tank hit?) but only through its own puncture-hole, so again the area of immediate effect is sub-barn in scale, not exactly Demolition Man. (Possibly that bale might become less advantageous if there's burning spatter, etc...)

The video itself... Meh. UK news has seen more drastic farm-striking attacks (hitting fertiliser silos, etc). What interested me (beyond the minimal voyeurism, just enough to compile this loose description) is of this clear shot at "Information War" drop directly upon me.

I'm purely guessing, from the total themes and contents of the production, that it's a pro-Russian propogandising effort. A well-crafted thing, let down by a sloppy (and/or vague) distribution. Possibly I could even search for and find the whole original, complete with sound, subtitles, written notes and viewer feedback (positive and negative). With some time, I could even properly geolocate it (or at least show that any claimed location/timestamp is wrong, if a dishonest claim is made on the 'master' release-copy). I might be slightly wrong and it's actually a pro-Ukraine piece, but the apparent focus of the piece (that this farm has Ukrainean units hiding in it, "like the cowards they are", and that's why it is suffering 'precision' bombardment) points otherwise. Regardless, it's very much not found a receptive audience. I'm interested enough to thought-analyse the whole thing, and to extemporise that process here in this thread, but it leaves me unswayed in any significant way.

And that someone is clearly trying to sway some opinions, some way or other, isn't a surprise. I know that is happening. It's just that it's the closest to home that it has personally (or at least far more individually, albeit clearly scattergunned) applied to me.

And one more person's farm has been bombarded, regardless of circumstances, regardless of the end-effect. This (very much) sanitised/cleared-for-broadcast (not going to flash the red warning lights at the more visceral level) doesn't, that I saw, show any actual harms to those who inhabit the property (or even any alleged 'guests'), and with or without the ad-broadcast it will have undoubtedly happened anyway, but it of course makes it more real to me. Perhaps not even for the reasons intended by those involved in putting it in front of my eyes.

But it's a thing, and a minute or so of playback has made me write how many paragraphs?  Never mind, I'm done now. Unless it flashes across my ad-feed again, or I'm otherwise prompted, I'll now think no more of it having now reported my experience. There are far larger concerns of which I'm more worried. Almost the opposite of the typical "but many incidents just becomes statistics" dismissal....

[1] Not very targetted. At one point I was getting a lot of repeated Christian Dating Apps and Islamic Dating Apps presented to me... Other islamic-script stuff, too, maybe some hindu, oh and Chinese TikTik. Even when they get that I'm definitely British, a number of times I've seen Car Dealerships in Kent and Civil Service opportunities in the (English) midlands, reassuring me that the Algorithm really doesn't know very much about me. So I probably get a lot of "unclassifiable wildcard" or blanket-coverage ads, in my own personal sample. Which might have been the only reason I got the one described above.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 17, 2022, 11:10:42 am »

It is indeed interesting to note that someone is paying for ads to promote the Russian narrative. And probably not cheaply either.

I would like to thank everyone for their hard work over the last few months keeping this thread open.
Since the Emotional thread has shown itself to be more resilient than expected, it makes sense that this thread can be less restrictive.
With whatever power I possess as OP, I now welcome some amount of comments in this thread.
We can dispense with posting the news here and having to quote & comment in the Emotions thread.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 17, 2022, 11:29:44 am »

It is indeed interesting to note that someone is paying for ads to promote the Russian narrative. And probably not cheaply either.
The proper summary, for maybe anybody who TL;DR;ed my above post, should probably be that I'm not actually surprised that it's happening. It's typical of these days with any political issue. More surprised that one leaked into my sphere of viewing. (Even though I know I tend to get the 'targetting on a budget' stuff, to land on my ill-defined area of alleged interest.)

Expense-wise... I suspect it was actually bought with darkweb-sourced card details (bought by other dodgy fund-sources), at least as a level of deniability and removing any easy future account-blacklisting (should there be any reason the adserver realises it shouldn't have serviced that customer's campaign, somehow). But probably also makes it comparatively inexpensive to accomplish.

This isn't limited/specific to the Ukraine thing, though. Just how things are on the more grey edges of things.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 18, 2022, 07:49:59 am »

"Tokaev [the president of Kazakhstan], right in Putin's face, said he doesn't recognize the DPR and LNR, and also called them quasi-states"

News not mine.
Interesting that my phone won't let me view it without the Reddit app.

I'm also not sure if that is contrary to the convoluted Russian position regarding those areas in Ukraine. Or, the official position is so convoluted and contradictory, it could very well be an honest mistake.

To paraphrase my understanding of the "Official Russian Position"
1) All of Ukraine belongs to Russia, and all of Ukraine is illegitimate.
2) The breakaway Republics in Ukraine are legitimate countries and are at least equal if not superior to Ukraine.
3) The breakaway Republics in Ukraine will be integrated into Russia as soon as feasible.

...yeah, I can see how most Russian allies could accidentally just claim that the Republics are illegitimate and think they're doing a good job supporting Russia's Official Position.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 18, 2022, 11:42:17 am »

You guys shouldn't be so surprised that Kazakstan is saying this. They aren't Belarus. If I remember right Kazakstan isn't very fond of Russia because they know that if Ukraine wasn't around, they would be next in line to be conquered. Due to Kazakstan's middle-eastern heritage, living under Soviet rule has always been a little awkward for them.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 60