Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 58647 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War in Ukraine News Update - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #330 on: July 26, 2022, 03:57:28 pm »

...well, it's one theory of how Australia got involved. But that they then reinvited Austria as well when they realised their initial error... ;) Another near-error prompted the whole change to Eswatini thing, just to prevent this exact error dragging them into it.

(If there is no "Welcome to UKraine!" theme, or similar, I shall be dissapoint.)

((It'll all be dependant upon the country still being a workable nationstate by next year of course. Which isn't a sure thing, knowing our politicians. Who was in third place?))

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 27, 2022, 03:12:02 am »

UK, UKR, UKR OK!
Love, scriver~

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 27, 2022, 04:20:55 pm »

Russia decided to leave ISS in 2024
https://www.reuters.com/technology/russia-has-not-signaled-space-station-withdrawal-nasa-us-official-says-2022-07-26/
and as their old one (Mir) had burned in the atmosphere, build another station

I guess the end of that level of cooperation that was above petty nations politics moved the post cold war hope of "possible Star Trek unified humanity - like future" back into cold war "possible Star Wars let's laser shoot at each other-like future" ...

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 27, 2022, 04:32:46 pm »

Prediction -

1) Russia won't leave ISS unless kicked out. Remember that Russian words mean nothing. They lie. Always

2) Their ambitions for their own space station will end like all before them (Lunar Base, Mars program, etc) - never leave the proclamations stage. Russia lacks engineering and science to do anything beyond making money using old Soviet Tech to deliver cargoes to orbit cheaper than anyone else.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 27, 2022, 04:33:22 pm »

My fuller (but not my fullest) personal assessment of that is in the Space Thread.

TL;DR;, it's more posturing than anything else. It's a "blackjack and hookers" gambit. Like the glory of the Greater Russian Empire, it's not as simple as they'd like to (pretend to?) believe.

Good luck to them. They'll need it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 27, 2022, 04:39:08 pm »

Russia decided to leave ISS in 2024
https://www.reuters.com/technology/russia-has-not-signaled-space-station-withdrawal-nasa-us-official-says-2022-07-26/
and as their old one (Mir) had burned in the atmosphere, build another station

I guess the end of that level of cooperation that was above petty nations politics moved the post cold war hope of "possible Star Trek unified humanity - like future" back into cold war "possible Star Wars let's laser shoot at each other-like future" ...

This statement would be more believable if they didn't keep changing the date (is it 2024? 2026? Who knows?). I imagine next year they'll promise to abandon the ISS in 2030...

Remember that Russian words mean nothing. They lie. Always

This basically.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 27, 2022, 07:42:25 pm »

Russia keeps threatening this because they were, for a fairly long time, the primary transport support for the station. After the retirement of the Space Shuttle, the US didn't have the heavy lift capability to refuel the thing or transfer crew. SpaceX and government projects have combined to fix that, but Russia doesn't seem to have gotten the memo.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 28, 2022, 02:12:00 am »

They probably couldn't hear it over them all telling each other how great they are at space stuff.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 31, 2022, 09:40:50 pm »

Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 02, 2022, 11:26:08 am »

Quote from: Lt Gen Igor Konashenkov, Moscow Defence Dept. spokesman
It is the Biden administration that is directly responsible for all rocket attacks approved by Kyiv on residential areas and civilian infrastructure facilities in settlements of Donbass and other regions that caused mass deaths of civilians.

Russia seems to really want to hide their own actions behind the old "accuse your enemy of things that you do yourself" smeers.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 03, 2022, 12:45:11 am »

"Damn you Americans for making me blow up all these civilians!"
*shakes fist*
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 15, 2022, 12:03:46 am »

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1558869697747107840

lol. lmao

Quote from: Aric Toler
A few days ago, the Grey Zone (RSOTM) Telegram channel posted photos of a visit to the so-called Wagner HQ in the Donbas (Popasna). Prigozhin may have been there.

The photos were apparently easy to geolocate. Ukraine destroyed it in a HIMARS strike today. https://t.co/dZCh3oqhpH
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 16, 2022, 06:52:38 am »

Russia has[1] said that sabtage is to blame for a further ammo-store/etc attack on Crimean territory.

Moved 2,000 people out of danger but "a schrapnel wound and a wall falling on another person" were quoted as the only two ('non-serious') injuries. (If true, all credit for the saboteurs/missile-aimers/whatever. If untrue, as is likely with the typical bad-news-suppression, still doesn't do much to help Russia.)

[1] Reluctantly, after a while putting it down to yet another[2] accidental fire...
[2] Reminds me of https://www.quotes.net/mquote/116839

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 16, 2022, 04:38:34 pm »

Poor Russia.  They don't know if it's worse to admit that they're getting their asses kicked by the Ukrainians or their own people.  :P

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 16, 2022, 06:03:31 pm »

They're probably trying to paint civilians as traitorous turncoat terrorists undermining their rightful rule of Crimea, which will justify their actions against non-ethnic Russians as Ukranian forces push into Crimea, simultaneous with blaming the Ukrainians for killing those same civilians. If there are saboteurs and pro-ukranian actors behind Russian lines, they're in a lot of danger, as is everyone around them. They should be spending a lot of time and energy getting civilians away from Russian forces before the killings start.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 60