Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 58667 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: War in Ukraine News Update - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2022, 04:03:29 pm »

Allegedly, Russian forces used a poisonous substance of unknown origin against the Ukrainian military and civilians in Mariupol, which was dropped from an UAV. - https://twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1513597873593663492
Yeah, my Volkskrant war liveblog now also reports that the Azovbatallion claims Russia is using UAVs to drop a toxic substance

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/azovbataljon-russen-gebruiken-chemisch-wapen-in-marioepol-rutte-belt-met-zelenski-elke-oorlogsmisdaad-moet-worden-onderzocht~b62624ee/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2022, 05:22:49 pm »

I wonder how long it'll take before Putin blames Ukrainians for dropping chemical weapons on Ukrainians

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2022, 05:36:00 pm »

It's miserable to know that any false flag attack is probably moreso aimed at producing more propaganda to keep the Russian people in their place supporting the war, but if there's even the slightest sliver of a chance that these chemical weapons are being rolled out to try and make themselves look better in the eyes of the rest of the world, I just find that funny.

I can see you dragging those chemical weapons behind you, you know.
These aren't my chemical weapons, these are the enemy's chemical weapons.
That's clearly not the case.
The enemy is going to use these to gas civilians soon!
Why do you feel the need to refer to them as "The enemy", they have a name you know.
Only traitors to our glorious leader would refer to the enemy by anything other than the enemy! That is a crime!
Bu- hey, hey hey! Get away from the chemical weapons!
The enemy is about to use them!
GET AWAY FROM THA-

... Why. Why are you like this.
See. The enemy is using chemical weapons against us.
... You know, this is why no-one likes you.

It's crazy how many times this thing is turning out to be relevant.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2022, 07:14:22 pm »

Allegedly, Russian forces used a poisonous substance of unknown origin against the Ukrainian military and civilians in Mariupol, which was dropped from an UAV. - https://twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1513597873593663492

The UK is looking into these claims, BBC reports.

Spoiler: from BBC live updates (click to show/hide)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2022, 06:06:12 am »

BBC says that a former soldier of the US Army's Chemical Corps tweets that the alleged chemical attacks could be the result of contamination in industrial areas.

Quote from: BBC live updates
Can industrial toxins explain alleged 'chemical attack' in Mariupol?

A chemical weapons expert from the Royal United Services Institute (Rusi) is urging caution about a claimed chemical attack in Mariupol, noting that illness among Ukrainian soldiers may be the result of contamination encountered during fighting in industrial areas.

In a string of posts on Twitter, Dan Kaszeta - an author and former soldier in the US Army's Chemical Corps - says there remains "a paucity of information" about what took place in Mariupol.

The city's deputy mayor has claimed that the chemical attack was carried out by a Russian drone.

Kaszeta added that the symptoms that the Ukrainian soldiers are reportedly showing - such as shortness of breath - might be explained by the inhalation of fumes caused by fighting in a heavily industrial area.

"Mariupol is one big toxic burn pit at the moment," he said. "Somehow we're supposed to assume that one small drone payload of something is tragically unhealthier than the rest of this mess of an environment."

"It is, in fact, plausible," Kaszeta added. "But it's also plausible that we have a classic problem of smoke and flame and modern industrial materials."

And the tweets can be found here.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2022, 07:15:51 am »

According to BBC, Ukrainian Defence Ministry says Russian security services are planning "acts of terror" on their own soil.

Spoiler: from BBC live updates (click to show/hide)

Wouldn't be the first time Putin and his regime would be suspected of something like that. The Moscow theater hostage crisis of 2002 was claimed by some to have FSB involved in it, also the Russian apartment bombings and the Beslan school siege (some allegations go pretty deep into conspiracy theory territory, but regardless the incidents helped Putin).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2022, 09:28:12 am »

Lukashenko claims the evidence of mass killings around Kyiv were planted by the British intelligence sevices.

Quote from: NYTimes
President Vladimir V. Putin dismissed the atrocities in Bucha as a “fake” when asked about them at a news conference with President Aleksandr G. Lukashenko of Belarus. At the news conference, Mr. Lukashenko claimed the evidence of mass killings had in fact been planted by British intelligence.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2022, 09:57:29 am »

Lukashenko claims the evidence of mass killings around Kyiv were planted by the British intelligence sevices.

Quote from: NYTimes
President Vladimir V. Putin dismissed the atrocities in Bucha as a “fake” when asked about them at a news conference with President Aleksandr G. Lukashenko of Belarus. At the news conference, Mr. Lukashenko claimed the evidence of mass killings had in fact been planted by British intelligence.
wat

I know MI6 is a bunch of James Bonds' but how the hell would they fake so many mass graves or body dumps? Where does Lukashenko think they got the bodies? How would they transfer the bodies in the middle of a warzone? Why bother with a lie which is this obvious?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2022, 10:22:07 am »

President Lukashenko supported Putin's lies with his own lies.  It shows the countries are united.
...although, can you really trust a liar?  ;D

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2022, 10:40:48 am »

It's too bad it's gotten to that point.  In days past, if state leaders lied to each other that blatantly they'd have been run through or at best people would just say "Come back when you're ready to be serious" and just leave the table or whatever.

It's not even worth conversing with people who probably lie so much they no longer even have the ability to distinguish reality from fiction.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2022, 01:34:30 pm »

Russia moves military equipment including missile systems towards Finnish border.

A great strategic move, Putin! You absolutely need those to scare Finland away from joining NATO. It is how it works! Also, you absolutely don't need your logistics elsewhere!
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2022, 01:44:30 pm »

Russia moves military equipment including missile systems towards Finnish border.

Any source for this? Didn't notice yet anything in the Finnish media I follow (mainly interested in it as a Finnish citizen).

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2022, 01:47:46 pm »

Any source for this? Didn't notice yet anything in the Finnish media I follow (mainly interested in it as a Finnish citizen).

Its unverified footage, so may or may not be accurate

https://www.news.com.au/world/europe/russia-seen-moving-military-equipment-towards-finland-after-warning-county-not-to-join-nato/news-story/48fedd850a231cd51108136624360735

Also if Russia used chemical weapons, it does kinda look like a WW3 scenario as biden and NATO said "if verified, all options are on the table"

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2022, 01:59:13 pm »

Regarding chemical attacks, i hope if there is a verified use, they will react faster than they did with Saddam Hussein.
As if you see the list of how many time Iraq used chemical weapons on their war with Iran on a large scale between 1983 and 1991 (and as the page say "These are selected uses only. Numerous other smaller scale CW attacks occurred." ) :
https://web.archive.org/web/20120207065612/https://www.cia.gov/library/reports/general-reports-1/iraq_wmd_2004/chap5.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 60