Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 58659 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: War in Ukraine News Update - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2022, 02:00:57 pm »

Not just in their war with Iran. Hussein used mustard gas on Iraq's own Kurdish population too.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2022, 02:19:22 pm »

« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 02:51:10 pm by Ganondworf »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2022, 02:25:42 pm »

Russia moves military equipment including missile systems towards Finnish border.

Any source for this? Didn't notice yet anything in the Finnish media I follow (mainly interested in it as a Finnish citizen).

Its unverified footage, so may or may not be accurate

https://www.news.com.au/world/europe/russia-seen-moving-military-equipment-towards-finland-after-warning-county-not-to-join-nato/news-story/48fedd850a231cd51108136624360735

Thanks!

I just noticed some Finnish tabloids had noted the footage. They said that according to Finnish Ministry of Defence the footage was over a week old and was related to a Russian military exercise at the Baltic Sea, so most likely nothing dramatic there as these exercises are nothing new.

Edit. The Finnish Broadcasting Company noted it now, too, but have a different explanation:

Quote from: Svenska Yle

(Translated from Swedish with Google translate)

Military expert rejects video that allegedly shows heavy Russian weapons on their way to Finland: "Looks like it was about information influence"

Petteri Kajanmaa at the Swedish National Defense College believes that a video, which is alleged to show Russian coastal robot systems on their way to the Finnish border, is about scare propaganda linked to Finland's NATO debate.

There are speculations that Russia is moving heavy weapons towards the Finnish border, due to a video that is spread on Twitter. The video shows the transport of the coastal robot system K-300P Bastion Coastal at an intersection near Viborg.

There still seems to be no basis for the speculation, according to Petteri Kajanmaa, head of the Swedish National Defense College's Department of Martial Arts.

- There are no signs that something unusual is going on, Kajanmaa says to Svenska Yle.

The military vehicles in the video are robotic systems that it is known that Russia has previously placed around the Baltic Sea, for example in Kaliningrad.

- So it is no wonder to see the system near the Baltic Sea.

The video raises many questions. According to Kajanmaa, for example, it is unclear whether the video has really been created now.

- It seems to be about some kind of information impact, says Kajanmaa.

The person who created the video zooms in on a road sign that military vehicles pass by. The sign says "Helsinki". According to Kajanmaa, the video may have been created for the purpose of causing fear.

- The goal can be to influence the population's and political decision - makers' sense of security. In that case, it may be linked to Finland's discussions on NATO.

If Finland applies for NATO membership, we may experience an increasing impact on information in the near future.

- We expect both the spread of false information and outright intimidation tactics. We've already seen both of them - the congestion attacks last week, political moves and dubious videos.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2022, 03:17:18 pm »

I don't usually direct link to twitter, because its a hive of misinformation and lies and deceit. Granted reddit isn't much different right now I noticed, just mainstream news the best. But...I'll just do this this once. I know not really about Ukraine, but I don't want to take up ameripol with china stuff they having their own topic there and I still think it vaguely relates due to how close china/russia is...

But if true...

https://twitter.com/OsintUpdates/status/1513938089101574145

Also usually I look at the user more directly and thoroughly, but I only caught this last moment before I head off. But if this is recent footage and legit info, things are going to get bad. But chances are its probably more likely old stuff if real at all.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2022, 03:23:55 pm »

That's probably related to the covid stuff and lockdown of Shanghai and not Taiwan.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2022, 03:36:30 pm »

That's probably related to the covid stuff and lockdown of Shanghai and not Taiwan.

Actually most likely.

Though they been saying they found bioweapon labs on their borders. Might be used as a false reason to act

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2022, 03:44:30 pm »

(The "lying state" thing reminds me of https://youtube.com/watch?v=mCe8iai-SRs ...but that's not really suited to this thread.)

When I saw the "Finland/Sweden should not join NATO or else!" thing, the other day, I was wondering what could be done there. If the existing conflict/majorly-debatable-territory thing stops Ukraine from joining, I'm not sure that applies to the Scandiwegian area of the map. I don't think the Karelian Question applies. It'd be (relatively) trivial to induct them into at least pre-emptive partnership with NATO, before the hand gets twisted too much.

The more general news (not going to link, it's all over the place, including Putin using the "61st Anniversary of Gagarin's flight" to voice off) seems to be "it's quiet[1], too quiet..." and we're thus seeing a build-up to a big concentrated push of the kind we didn't see done the first time round, with the conviction that all they needed to do was roll up all around the borders and simultaneously try to decapitate, gut-punch and leg-sweep their opponent - but lacking the skills or reach to do it.

But, anyway, the expactations are that it'll be Greater Donbas Or Bust, and try to milk what remaining goodwill they've instilled into local and international 'supporters'.

(USA/India talks also didn't do much to create a common concensus, from what I can tell.)

[1] FCVO 'quiet', obviously still troublesome[2] for some people, like the surrounded Mariupol defenders.. But in general.

[2] FCVO 'troublesome'. Sorry, it's my habitual British dour and suppressive understatement, but I don't know how else to describe this thing that's pretty much beyond my own experience.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2022, 04:53:38 pm »

Biden just called the Russian actions 'genocide'
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2022, 07:28:24 pm »

Well their actions do fit at least two of the definitions of genocide. Mass relocation of a group out of their lands and the efforts to just outright kill them where they stand are both types of genocide.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2022, 07:38:59 pm »

Wake me when we see any actual action taken, which is unlikely since that'll require starting WWIII.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2022, 09:05:39 pm »

Wake me when we see any actual action taken, which is unlikely since that'll require starting WWIII.

The thing is that IIRC the US is in fact a signatory to a treaty demanding that signatories take action to prevent genocide no matter where it is happening; hence why most politicians refer to genocide in other countries that they don't want to get involved with as "ethnic cleansing" as if that makes it better and therefore excuses their lack of action.

Basically, unless Biden('s office) walks back his statements, that is in fact meaningful even if maybe not that important at this point. Definitely an interesting point, though.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2022, 11:42:52 pm »

The thing is that IIRC the US is in fact a signatory to a treaty demanding that signatories take action to prevent genocide no matter where it is happening; hence why most politicians refer to genocide in other countries that they don't want to get involved with as "ethnic cleansing" as if that makes it better and therefore excuses their lack of action.

Basically, unless Biden('s office) walks back his statements, that is in fact meaningful even if maybe not that important at this point. Definitely an interesting point, though.

So wake me up if:
1. He doesn't walk back said statements.
2. We actually abide by said treaty even at risk of WWIII.

Treaties are just words on paper until their contents are actually tested.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2022, 12:33:34 am »

Given how the US wiped their ass with the Ft Laramie treaty, VIs-a-vis, the KeystoneXL pipeline fiasco, I wont hold my breath on either.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2022, 01:15:34 am »

Seems like most treaties are only made to make people feel better then immediately thrown in the trash or used to wipe an ass.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2022, 03:42:39 am »

Seems like most treaties are only made to make people feel better then immediately thrown in the trash or used to wipe an ass.
I mean according to Russia's own treaty with Ukraine to give up nukes in exchange for security Putin's own invasion is illegal, but treaties are only as good as your faith or your teeth. In this case there's not a lot of faith, so it falls to teeth
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 60