Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 58565 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #720 on: March 07, 2023, 12:23:50 pm »

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 14, 2023, 12:12:59 pm »

A Russian jet fighter shot down a US surveillance drone that wsa flying over the Black Sea.
Let's hope all reactions will remain somewhat calm.

If this had been a manned aircraft that was shot down we would be in WW3 now..

EDIT: US Army calls it 'an unsafe and unprofessional interception'. According to the US, the drone was doing standard reconaissance over the international waters of the Black Sea. The US warns that 'these kind of dangerous and aggressive actions could lead to unintentional escalation'.

EDIT2: News article now no longer says 'shot down', instead it now says 'collision'.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 12:28:10 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 14, 2023, 02:10:16 pm »

Based on what I've seen, a Russian jet tried to cause it to crash by dumping fuel, and when that didn't work they rammed the prop.  Some online debate on whether ramming it was intentional since it's extremely dangerous, but it's obvious they were trying to down it either way.

This won't lead to armed retaliation from the US, but if we're lucky it'll lead to escalation of what gear we send to Ukraine.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 14, 2023, 02:25:57 pm »

They must want to know what types of hardware it is carrying.

The Pentagon video brief on CSPAN, jump to 12:50 minutes.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 02:31:01 pm by anewaname »
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 14, 2023, 02:34:06 pm »

One of the biggest reasons drones are used is precisely this situation - they don't have to worry about Mrs. Francis Gary Powers making a fuss in the news. The results are going to be a bunch of Strongly Worded Notes with no long term effect.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 14, 2023, 05:24:17 pm »

MQ-9 Reaper is one of the bigger drones, quick google put its price tag at 30million (roughly 3 Abraham tanks  or third of modern F15)

According to flight radar path posted online the incident indeed took place in international water in the middle of black sea. No where Russia could claim sovereignty like with British destroyer freedom of navigation near Crimea few years back.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 14, 2023, 05:25:55 pm »

Point is that this sort of thing happens all the time. Things aren't going to blow up over it.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 14, 2023, 05:55:22 pm »

Sure, I am just trying to make sense of initial info. There could be many reason for this e.g. Russian usual harassment tactic we seen all over its border for years, up to something specific ( can MQ-9 Reaper drones used for naval resonance specifically to to find and track subs?) 

In other news
- Russia plans to increase the conscription age.
- Romania continue to gear up, getting some nice toys and setting up a new ammunition plant which I believe would also produce 155mm artillery shells.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 05:58:48 pm by jipehog »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 14, 2023, 06:48:20 pm »

Russia claimed the airspace associated with Crimea, and that airspace (UKFV Simferopol FIR) extends over center of the Black Sea.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maybe Russian doesn't consider it to be international at the moment.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 14, 2023, 06:57:42 pm »

EDIT: nevermind  :P

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 14, 2023, 08:17:37 pm »

MQ-9 Reaper is one of the bigger drones, quick google put its price tag at 30million (roughly 3 Abraham tanks  or third of modern F15)

According to flight radar path posted online the incident indeed took place in international water in the middle of black sea. No where Russia could claim sovereignty like with British destroyer freedom of navigation near Crimea few years back.

I'm kind of astonished that an Abrams only costs about $10 million.  I know we have thousands but with the way the air force costs go I assumed we somehow just spent trillions on tanks that sit around and don't do much.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 14, 2023, 08:21:57 pm »

@anewaname, I don't believe Russia's claim holds water.

Territorial airspace in which countries exercise sovereignty is very limited, I believe its extension over the country landmass corresponds with the maritime definition of territorial waters which by the most permissive definition is no more than 50km.

Flight information regions (FIR), devised by the international civil aviation organization they areas of technical responsibility to provide flight information services for international aviation. While sometimes FIR correlate with territorial airspace where countries exercise sovereignty, they do not entail sovereignty over international airspace.

There are other things Russia could claim (like ADIZ) but overall it is no more than the usual attempt to muddy the water and distract from the act of using military force against a US drone in international airspace.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 08:44:55 pm by jipehog »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 15, 2023, 12:39:25 am »

I heard a rumor that they were trying to recover a drone for intel.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 15, 2023, 01:08:07 am »

@anewaname, I don't believe Russia's claim holds water.
Punning is the right attitude...

The statements from eucom.mil and the pentagon both said it was international airspace and Russia says there was no transponder (probably not truth but quite possible there was trickery involved that they noticed).

I keep considering how this war has become a staging ground for newer technology and tactics, and how every military is working to better understand how opposing technologies work in coordination with each other. Where else but over the Black Sea could the US test new technologies in a wartime situation? Where else but over the Black Sea, could the craft be knocked down and the salvage grabbed first by the Russians?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 15, 2023, 01:58:43 am »

Anything is possible, but there is nothing to suggest that MQ-9 aircraft was conducting anything but a routine operation as it has been doing for close to a year, and Russian pilot flying off the handle. Here is the flight path from the day before:

https://www.itamilradar.com/2023/03/13/another-week-begins-in-the-black-sea-theatre/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 02:00:37 am by jipehog »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 60