Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 58576 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #840 on: June 23, 2023, 08:53:25 pm »

There are shots and missiles fired now.

We're fucked.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: June 23, 2023, 09:17:11 pm »

We talkin' WW3 or Russia becoming a war zone? Either way uh...might be time to bug out like yesterday. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: June 23, 2023, 09:23:33 pm »

We talkin' WW3 or Russia becoming a war zone? Either way uh...might be time to bug out like yesterday. :V
He means between Wagner and the Russian Army. So the latter. I think I and him (we know each other IRL) will likely flee together if it reaches Siberia.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: June 23, 2023, 09:32:57 pm »

Stay safe, either way. Might be good to definitely get plans in order ASAP to be ready for that rather than risking it being in your backyard and it becoming too late to bug out.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: June 23, 2023, 09:45:41 pm »

Siberia might be too far north and isolated to be part of this initial fighting, but problems arise if a faction successful flees there.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: June 23, 2023, 10:36:42 pm »

Stay safe guys.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: June 23, 2023, 10:38:50 pm »

Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: June 24, 2023, 03:01:26 am »

It's still very much an "if only the tsar knew" mode of rhetoric, though: Prigozhin is still calling for the head of Shoigu, while referring to Putin as at the worst badly advised by his surrounding advisors.  Still, it is going to be a lethal blow to the Russian war effort.
We can scratch this part. Putin's morning address refers to Wagner as traitors, calls their actions a "stab in the back," and compares it directly to the events of 1917 that led to the collapse of the Eastern front.  He also says that decisive action will be taken to "stabilize the situation," as further attacks from the air are being verified on the Wagner convoy in Voronezh oblast, which already puts them halfway to Moscow.  Meanwhile, OMON seems to have secured Wagner's headquarters in St. Petersburg. Gerasimov's location remains unknown; he was believed to be in Rostov when it was taken and seems to have escaped capture, even if he hasn't made it out of now-hostile territory.

Wagner, for their part, have responded that Putin "made the wrong choice" and that Russia will soon have a new President.  Elements of the Southern Military District seem to be switching sides, which is something Wagner badly needs: one of the major reasons they weren't supposed to be able to do something like this is their small absolute size, so if the military had come down firmly against this attempt, it could have been nipped in the bud. Conversely, their active support could be lethal to Putin, Geraismov, and Shoigu, especially with the FSB hunkering down and Rosgvardiya in chaos.

EDIT:
And they have apparently entered Voronezh proper without ground resistance.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 03:05:29 am by Culise »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: June 24, 2023, 03:17:35 am »

Civil war time BAY-BEE
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: June 24, 2023, 03:29:07 am »

Oh damn things are getting spicy all the sudden.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #850 on: June 24, 2023, 06:23:33 am »

Can't fucking believe Putin is about to get merked by the guy he hired to make cocktail sausages

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
Not here at the moment

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #853 on: June 24, 2023, 04:57:24 pm »

Don't think that was a wise decision by prigo but hey, I'm sure Putin is amenable to half measures ;d

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: June 24, 2023, 05:09:09 pm »

As I've mused elsewhere, this will continue to be a shitshow for Russia for at minimum hours after the show's ended, potentially a lot longer afterward. At bare minimum, it means Russian troops busy doing things in Russia instead of Ukraine until Wagner is back out of the country and until.

Beyond that, it's reasonable to expect there will be a purge that will require people to replace the resulting loses. Alternatively, whatever Pringles does to escape suicide by gunshot to the back of the head will most likely complicate things, for example if he flees to Belarus this requires them to double down on making their participation in the war even more awkward than it already is. And failing that, now Putin has potentially instilled the lesson in his cabinet and generals that faux-rebellion is now the best way to lodge complaints with the kremlin and survive doing so.

Of course was already noted, it's still possible that this will be a nothingburger that amounts to just a PR stunt and no meaningful drama happening, but even then it still meant a few thousand goons who could've been in Ukraine being redirected for a while, which it appears they're taking advantage of.

Wagner and any troops redirected to respond to them likely won't all be back out of Russia under after we start to find out the outcome of the latest counterattacks.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 60