Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 58591 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #855 on: June 26, 2023, 04:46:13 pm »

Putin walked back his own statements and accepted a deal where Prigo and any of his men unwilling to demobilize or contract individually with the Russian armed forces are exiled to Belarus in exchange for not being prosecuted. Sounds like there wasn't the widespread support he was banking on, but this ain't exactly a good look for Putin either.

While this defuses the short-term risk of a popular uprising, it's made Putin look incredibly weak to be forced to compromise with someone he was calling a traitor less than a day prior, especially in light of his cultivated hard man persona. Over/under on the days until his first assassination attempt against his former minion?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: June 26, 2023, 06:04:55 pm »

I've heard mumblings (vox-pops of Russians by western media, if that helps/hinders the veracity) that it may be that Putin won't even be nominated for the next relevent election cycle that (before now) he might have been expected to have won by default.

No sign of an obvious successor, though. Either an up-and-coming subordinate or whichever opposition figures manage to no longer be enjoying the Siberian air or other similar 'holidays' courtesy of Vlad's packed courts.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: June 30, 2023, 04:04:49 pm »

I thought Putin died something like 8 years ago, and all the Putins we see nowadays are alzheimer actors.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: July 05, 2023, 09:08:37 pm »

idk

This is hearsay as usual but can anyone actually competent verify it?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #860 on: July 05, 2023, 09:15:32 pm »

idk
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is hearsay as usual but can anyone actually competent verify it?
Zelensky says Ukrainian intelligence have discovered a plot by Russian agents to plant explosives on top of Zaporizhia nuclear power plant to simulate an attack
It comes as the Kremlin said it is taking measures to counter a threat of some kind of Ukrainian sabotage of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant.
Possible false flag attempt. The millblogger may not have been talking out of their arse suprisingly

also lol as if the world needs a reminder of US force ffs can't go ten minutes without an American intervention somewhere in the world

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: July 07, 2023, 10:32:07 pm »

https://old.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/14t79u1/oc_animation_showing_flights_taken_by_prigozhins/
Huh. It looks like Prigozhin has just been wildly flying around Russia the whole time since his "exile" (which doesn't seem to have lasted even a single day). And not just in Siberia or whatever, he has been repeatedly flying to Moscow and St. Petersburg and all the way to the Southern border over and over and over.

Really strange stuff.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 08, 2023, 12:54:09 pm »

https://old.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/14t79u1/oc_animation_showing_flights_taken_by_prigozhins/
Huh. It looks like Prigozhin has just been wildly flying around Russia the whole time since his "exile" (which doesn't seem to have lasted even a single day). And not just in Siberia or whatever, he has been repeatedly flying to Moscow and St. Petersburg and all the way to the Southern border over and over and over.

Really strange stuff.
It's probably either a body double or a form of exile. Russia isn't above taking people off airplanes and shooting them, nor using false info to get the plane to land.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 08, 2023, 02:37:09 pm »

He could be sending an underling to run errands that are better done in person on his behalf. Or is himself speaking to people in person in various places. I imagine Russia's still in a lot of internal turmoil and scheming among the rich and powerful. Prigozhin is still a useful piece to the powerful in Russia, either for a second coup attempt, a patsy to take the fall for something, hiring out Wagner goons for illicit purposes, and presumably other things that I can't think of.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: July 08, 2023, 08:57:04 pm »

Right, so I posted just a tiny bit ago that prigozhin was flying around Russia.
But it appears that he never actually left Russia and the whole exile was just a lie?
An official also told the Times it did not appear any Wagner troops were in Belarus and that most were still at bases in eastern Ukraine. Lukashenko also told reporters Thursday that it was unclear if the Wagner fighters would come to Belarus after he previously offered them a desert military base.
And not just for him, but Wagner wasn't exiled *either*.

What a weird godamn situation.
I guess he convinced Putin that he really didn't want his job? After all, if you aren't going to kill the man I guess you might as well keep using him.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: July 09, 2023, 03:38:13 am »

I see nothing weird because there is a simple explanation: Putin is too weak to threaten Prigozhin and is afraid of retaliation from Prigozhin's allies.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: July 13, 2023, 11:04:42 am »

Perhaps more importantly, Russia's almost out of money:
https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/currencies/russia-economy-trade-current-account-surplus-plunges-93-energy-exports-2023-7?amp
"The nation posted a current-account surplus of $5.4 billion for the April-June quarter, which marks a 93% plunge from a record $76.7 billion in the same period of 2022, Russia's central bank data show. That's also the smallest excess since the third quarter of 2020. "

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: July 14, 2023, 12:33:35 am »

I guess Russia doesn't have the resources to force an inevitable victory after all.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: July 14, 2023, 02:46:26 am »

I doubt the lack of money is gonna stop Russia's fighting, might slow it down but won't completely stop it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60