Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 56363 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War in Ukraine News Update - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #285 on: June 18, 2022, 01:09:25 pm »

Yeah, I think they realize if the Soviet bloc Returns who will also suffer for it. I don't think they are particularly fond of Russian rule themselves, the Holodomor was in Kazakhstan too. They see Mariupol, etc. very vividly...

EDIT: Additionally I think they have a significant economic connection with the West and don't want to run afoul of sanctions.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 18, 2022, 01:26:37 pm »

I think Russia is losing its grip over Central Asia. China has serious economic interests in the area.

And yes, politicians and people of Central Asian countries aren't idiots and understand that Putin's quest for restoration of USSR doesn't sound good.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 18, 2022, 01:27:30 pm »

My understanding is that the central asian republics, despite ties with russia, aren't exactly thrilled about recent developments.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 18, 2022, 01:45:07 pm »

My understanding is that the central asian republics, despite ties with russia, aren't exactly thrilled about recent developments.

Central Asian countries are in a bad place. Their neighbors:

1) Russia that doesn't mind invading neighboring countries;
2) China, which isn't exactly known for treating Turkic people well (see Uyghurs);
3) Taliban, a very "reasonable" government;
4) Iran, a "good" neighbor for secular Sunny countries.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 19, 2022, 12:23:12 am »

Nazarbayev, the previous Kazakh president, was very much a buddy of Putin IIRC, at least outwardly.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 19, 2022, 04:12:38 am »

Kind of starting to sound like the entire world's going to shit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 19, 2022, 06:40:53 am »

There have been some interesting things going on in Kazakhstan lately. Interesting in the Chinese proverb sense. Some kind of not-so-velvet-y revolution/power struggle/change of guard? IIRC Russia was involved in quelling the unrest.
At this moment, I don't think we would be justified in making any broad statements about its politics based on vague perceptions of how the things used to be. And it's hard to get proper insight into the situation on the ground given the sparse media coverage.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 19, 2022, 08:07:52 am »

Al-Jazeera had some articles on it. If I remember correctly from memory CSTO troops went in at the government's request, there was an election/referendum or both on different occasions, a new power took charge but the old power maintained some lingering of power which the new power dismissed, possibly due to public dissatification with the old power, while promising reforms.

It's probable I got those out of order somehow in that short summary, being a recall from memory. It's also missing quite a lot, but mostly it was to point to the Al-Jazeera articles I saw, though I don't know if those have more info than what you found elsewhere.

EDIT:
https://www.aljazeera.com/where/kazakhstan
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 08:13:25 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 19, 2022, 08:14:17 am »

Kazakhstan called on world to completely abandon nuclear weapons by 2045

The war in Ukraine "and mutual threats of use of nuclear weapons make us think about collective vulnerability of humanity and urgent need to ban such weapons,"said Kazakh Foreign Minister Mukhtar Tleuberdi.

Yep, sure, all nuclear powers will do just that. Especially Russia which will get in invaded by China on the very next day.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 19, 2022, 08:32:20 am »

So, business as usual then?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 19, 2022, 02:18:07 pm »

No, no, no.

Before it just looked like it was going to shit, now it sounds like it is.  Totally different.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 19, 2022, 02:21:35 pm »

No, no, no.

Before it just looked like it was going to shit, now it sounds like it is.  Totally different.

Ah, I assume next it'll taste like it is going to shit?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 20, 2022, 02:11:13 am »

No, no, no.

Ah, I assume next it'll taste like it is going to shit?
Yes.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 20, 2022, 04:40:24 am »

And then it will feel hot on your skin.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 22, 2022, 10:22:25 pm »

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 10:28:11 pm by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 60