Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 56338 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #735 on: March 15, 2023, 03:32:45 am »

Anything is possible, but there is nothing to suggest that MQ-9 aircraft was conducting anything but a routine operation as it has been doing for close to a year, and Russian pilot flying off the handle. Here is the flight path from the day before:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
https://www.itamilradar.com/2023/03/13/another-week-begins-in-the-black-sea-theatre/
Take out the "Russian pilot flying off the handle" statement... because that is a construct designed to support someone's story. Those Russian pilots are making the same flights, feeling the same emotions, and following the same orders. That first dumping of the fuel, a pilot could get away with that without reprimand, the second dumping of the fuel also might have been acceptable... because the pilots could argue to their superiors that there is value to knowing if these drones are susceptible to this method of attempting to down them, but following the failed attempts to use dumped fuel to down the drone, they got so close the craft collided? That is not something a pilot unless they were under orders. Every combat pilot knows their leash has more slack in it than most, but they don't forget the leash is there.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 15, 2023, 04:19:31 am »

It seems like this isn't the first time Russia has done something like this, but I can't remember what they broke so they could steal info from it last time.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 15, 2023, 10:52:47 am »

Assad has offered Putin to help him with the war in Ukraine, in a meeting between the two leaders today in the Kremlin.
According to Assad,'in Ukraine, Russia is fighting neonazis and old nazis, supported by the West'. Assad told Putin that he wants to help him win the war.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 15, 2023, 01:51:54 pm »

...Isn't Assad still dependent on help from Russia to win his war
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 15, 2023, 02:07:03 pm »

Indeed he is. So no surprise there really that he parrots Russian propaganda
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 06:02:41 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 17, 2023, 06:45:46 am »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/03/16/russian-wagner-group-places-15m-bounty-italian-minister-guido/

What is Wanker Group thinking?

...I feel this is a timely time for the good old headslap comment.

But on a sidenote I've never seen a minister look more like a mafia don in my life
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 17, 2023, 08:17:38 am »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/03/16/russian-wagner-group-places-15m-bounty-italian-minister-guido/

Probably that it costs them nothing to do, and not much beyond that. It's not like they're particularly likely to pay up even if someone was stupid enough to try to collect.

On the flip side, signore "migrants are hybrid warfare against us" can kinda' rot, so I guess a pox on both their houses on this one? The ukraine support is good but also fuck this guy, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 17, 2023, 02:21:05 pm »

What is the viability of putting a bounty on Prigozhin, speaking of which? It's not like mercenaries are known for their loyalty.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 18, 2023, 02:21:45 am »

Nobody's gonna go after a bounty if they know they won't get any money from it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 19, 2023, 11:04:39 pm »

Perun: Russia's Winter Offensive in Ukraine - From Bakhmut to Vuhledar, outcomes, lessons, and costs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPhycuLAtaw

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #747 on: March 20, 2023, 05:57:06 am »

Probably coming from a much more desperate and aggressive position given how spicy things are getting between them and Shoigu. But it's also interesting to note that after Prigozhin claimed that Russian army commanders were giving his forces ammunition and he had allies within the Russian army, ammunition supplies were given back to his units

*EDIT
I think it's also worth drawing to that Poland is breaking the taboo on sending fixed wing fighter aircraft to Ukraine. It seems like only a matter of time before western jets are sent

Ramzan Kadyrov, the strongman leader of Chechnya, was upset at the losses elite Chechen paratrooper units sustained during an assault on Hostomel airfield outside capital. Meanwhile, ultranationalists with ties to Russia's separatist proxies in the Donbas thought the army's grinding tactics had led to needlessly high casualty rates in eastern Ukraine.

Senior figures in Russia's military shared some of Prigozhin's disdain for Shoigu and Gerasimov, according to the person close to him and a senior Ukrainian official.

Most prominent among them were Sergey Suroivkin, who favoured tactics that better factored in Russia's battlefield limitations when commanding the invasion last autumn, and Mickhail Teplinsky, head of Russia's paratroopers, who had also sustained huge casualties in Gerasimov's assaults.

"Gerasimov's tactics are to throw paratroopers at the most dangerous flashpoints and they really just get killed," said Vadim Skibitskyi, deputy head of Ukrainian military inteligence.

Skibitskyi pointed to the fate of Russia's elite 155th Guards Naval Infantry Brigade, which Ukraine and Russian nationalist bloggers with ties to the military said suffered devastating losses during attacks on fortified positions in the Donbas over the winter.
For a reminder; the naval infantry were sent into Pavlivka even though Pavlivka was already surrounded by Ukrainian forces. Gerasimov got a medal for this brilliant encirclement
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 06:45:06 am by Loud Whispers »

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 20, 2023, 09:40:23 am »

Russia's internal politics are peculiar, the only constant is that there is always someone to blame and it isn't Putin.

The ICC's war crimes charges have landed just prior the Crimea annexation spoiling yet another anniversary for him.

Meanwhile China's glorious leader XI is on his first state visit to Russia since the invasion, this is high stake lets hope nothing comes out of it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 22, 2023, 05:50:13 am »

Footage is emerging of tanks being hauled out of Russian storage and heading West.

T-54s - which entered production in 1946. The ones I've seen pictures of on trains look like fairly early models as well.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 60