Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 116647 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1395 on: October 02, 2022, 04:01:56 am »

Seems like no matter where in the world they Catholics doing shitty things would make the Pope cry.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: October 02, 2022, 07:06:37 am »

I am Orthodox and I am ashamed.

Chances are that you aren't really an Eastern Orthodox Christian.

Chances are that you believe in the creator, immortal soul, hell and heaven, and a few other things. You identify as an orthodox Christian, because it is a "proper" self-identification for a non-atheist vaguely religious

No, sure, it may be that you do regularly read the Bible (preferable the canon one in Old Slavonic), read various works of saints, visit your local church at least once per few weeks, know, understand and believe dogmas of Orthodox Christianity, etc. But then 1) you are in a rather small minority. 2) It is strange that you aren't pro-war because the Russian Orthodox Church is.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: October 02, 2022, 09:36:02 am »

I'm quite secular and I rarely go to church, and I have only read the Bible itself + some saints' works. But even though I disagree with Kirill's stance on the war, I believe Orthodoxy is the branch of Christianity that is the most correct. That's why I call myself Orthodox. Honestly I don't give a shit what he thinks of the war, besides disappointment.

Just because I am part of the church doesn't mean I'm going to sheep its policy. Kinda annoying how you just say I'm not even Christian for it. It is what I identify most closely with.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: October 02, 2022, 09:37:42 am »

Do I smell a religious shitfight coming in. That's a first for this thread, surprisingly.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: October 02, 2022, 10:03:09 am »

Do I smell a religious shitfight coming in. That's a first for this thread, surprisingly.

You can't imagine how tempted I am...  Kittycat's message is so full of stuff to comment on from an anti-theist's point of view. But this is a wrong thread for this.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: October 02, 2022, 10:48:09 am »

Yeah whatever man, let me believe what I want, I'm not preaching to you. Not interested in theological debates.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: October 02, 2022, 11:44:12 am »

Orthodoxy is a denomination with a large portion of Eastern Europe as adherents. It is not limited to the Moscow patriarchate...

As a denomination I probably like Orthodoxy the most as well. It seems the most morally rational.

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: October 02, 2022, 01:10:59 pm »

There are some quite reliable rumors that the Russian front in the Kherson isn't in the best shape after a major breakthrough of Ukrainian forces.

With weather forecasts for the coming weeks being unusually warm and dry October (which is great for an offensive), Russian mobilized soldiers may arrive way too late to stabilize the situation. 

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: October 02, 2022, 05:52:07 pm »

Anyone know if the reservists are at the fronts yet? That can't help. People tend to be a bit more panicky when surrounded by panicky people, and dumping a load of low morale, low training personnel won't help with that.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: October 02, 2022, 06:18:27 pm »

The Russian army is in chaos right now, chaos similar to what we had in 2014, and, to a lesser extent, in February of 2022.

It is no good when your front consists of something like - 1 unit of special forces, 1 unit of regular infantry, 1 unit of marines, 1 unit of mobilized police, 1 unit of the national guard, 1 unit of volunteers of type A, 1 unit of volunteers type B, 1 unit of... Coordination suffers from stuff like this. And, unlike us, Russians are bad at self-organizing, they are used to centralized structures with one commander and hate initiative

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1405 on: October 02, 2022, 09:52:58 pm »

From what a former (British) military friend of mine was explaining, Russian military structure basically prohibits any initiative on the part of the soldiers in terms of securing objectives (this was over a couple of pints so I may have misunderstood something xD).

As they explained it, in a Western military units request supplies like ammunition and they are then 'pulled' down the chain to the toops. But in the Russian military, they have a lot less support troops compared to the 10:1 ratio the West likes. So supplies are 'pushed' down the chain from the top instead. Which means the troops are eternally juggling and balancing whatever limited supplies they were assigned to accomplish an objective, and so when in a situation where one side has a good pull supply lines setup whilst they are relying on push-based supply lines from what the people at the top think they'll need, they are screwed by a combination of superior logistics and poor intel processing at the top.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 10:02:21 pm by MorleyDev »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: October 02, 2022, 09:57:49 pm »

That doesn't sound right. Both Ukraine and Russia are still on basically Soviet doctrine, which had nothing of the sort. Soviet doctrine emphasized "make use of the supplies you have and be prepared to make do", but that was under the assumption that they would be cut off by tactical nuclear strikes or would advance so aggressively (Soviet doctrine for a war with the West was to spend any cost to move as fast as possible before America managed to show up) that they outrun their supply chains.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: October 02, 2022, 10:00:35 pm »

Pretty sure that Ukraine's moved towards Western doctrines since Crimea. The West started training the Ukrainian military.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1408 on: October 03, 2022, 04:57:11 am »

Pretty sure that Ukraine's moved towards Western doctrines since Crimea. The West started training the Ukrainian military.
The UK trained 18,000 since 2015 though the operation to train Ukrainians officially started in 2012, and USA military trainers had an active role in helping the Ukrainian army massively expand into a NATO interoparable fighting force around the same time

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1409 on: October 03, 2022, 05:49:34 am »

Lyman recaptured after Russian BTGs encircled again

Now if the Russians lose donetsk then the entirety of their southern front will only able to be resupplied by sea and truck

Honestly Putin needs to be careful. At this point it is by choice that the Ukrainians don't walk over the border and start occupying Russian territory; already there has been shelling and air strikes on Belgorod, Putin should not be so arrogant as to assume war is something he inflicts on others, and not a fire that consumes everyone that partakes
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 06:07:27 am by Loud Whispers »
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 167