Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 116928 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1665 on: November 16, 2022, 01:38:45 am »

Why not check with google maps before engaging in fanciful numerology, though?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: November 16, 2022, 01:57:04 am »

Edit: This was unnecessarily aggressive and I apologize.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 02:14:47 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: November 16, 2022, 02:00:30 am »

Repeating edit here for visibility. In fact I did check Google Earth, just now. I didn't immediately because we are all only posting rumors and speculation anyway, including you, and it is time consuming to go scrolling along longitude/latitude lines.

Wikipedia precise coordinates for Poland strike: 50°28'28.0"N 23°55'39.0"E

Kyiv airstrip: 50°28'28.0"N 30°23'21.0"E

Lviv, possibly not airstrip but rail station of some sort: 49°48'52.0"N 23°55'39.0"E

Also Bay12 does not really have "internet points."
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 02:03:00 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: November 16, 2022, 03:12:57 am »

From the sound of it we might never know what side the missile came from and probably nothing will come of it in the end.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: November 16, 2022, 03:14:58 am »

They did say a NATO aircraft tracked the missile. We'll see what the situation is tomorrow.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: November 16, 2022, 05:02:21 am »

Hadn't hear that part and that certainly changes the out come of this.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: November 16, 2022, 05:59:58 am »

It's just funny to imagine some guy at an army base mix up when copypasting coordinates.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: November 16, 2022, 06:19:14 am »

In fact I did check Google Earth, just now.
Thanks. That actually looks at least not outside the realm of possibility now.
Although, in fairness, what is being done here is drawing lines across two large cities, in the hopes of finding something that could resemble a target.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: November 16, 2022, 06:42:24 am »

Across large cities (edit: spread inconveniently about) in miles and miles of even larger Ukraine.

Proper analysis would require assessing how many other arbitrary city-pairs could match (within city limits) any other abitrary points on arbitrary borders. It's generally true that if you go searching for facts (any convenient ones, amongst many possible) to 'explain' results that you'll come across synchronicities, but this will be limited in the case of "two points in a country contributing to a match just across its border" due to the semi-convex nature of the 'hull' of that country's extent.

And that one of them is Kiev (and a definite military target within it) reduces the arbitrariness factor somewhat, by an amount I wouldn't care to guess and would have to Monte Carlo some theoreticals.

The most worrying extension of the possibility of this ever having happened is that a misdirected Russian missile could have been landing upon Belarus or (though not so sure about this, without scanning the range of possible sources for the error) Mother Russia. And, if the hypothetical operator isn't discovered to have done what they did in time, it could have been equally assumed to have been an attack upon them by us, in a knee-jerk reaction without sufficient forensic analysis.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 06:51:47 am by Starver »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: November 16, 2022, 09:20:42 am »

Seeing news articles now saying that it was a stray Ukrainian missile, according to Poland/Biden/NATO

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: November 16, 2022, 10:54:12 am »

It's weird, either way. Would be nice to see which Russian S2S missile track provoked the S2A defensive launch that went off in the wrong direction. But probably going to be kept nicely behind layers of OpSec.

(No, I'm not contemplating seriously that it's a 'deliberate mistake'.)

And, despite my wish for a Smiley Face precision 'message', all credit for it not being taken as causus belli on a hair-trigger.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: November 16, 2022, 11:37:45 am »

Aaaaaaagh. NATO said it was a Ukrainian SAM that missed its target. There is a chance they are hiding something to prevent an escalation but I somewhat doubt that personally. Upsetting.

What are the chances, given there were two missiles, it was a Russian cruise missile tailed by a Ukrainian S300?

EDIT: Speaking of which, did they even speak about the second blast? Isn't the crater way too big for just an AA blast?

Air defenses also go forward to intercept, not back. It was near a power station, if the coordinate mixup thing is not convincing. NATO has an incentive to promote this narrative because if it was admitted it was Russia it would be a more difficult decision.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 01:05:32 pm by bloop_bleep »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: November 16, 2022, 03:19:17 pm »

EDIT: Speaking of which, did they even speak about the second blast? Isn't the crater way too big for just an AA blast?

The missiles for an S-300 carry about as much explosive (60-80 kilos) as a US Air Force Mark 82 500 pound bomb. This is done to give it a large damage radius and thus a better chance of destroying a target.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: November 16, 2022, 09:15:28 pm »

Ok ok, Wikipedia says warheads are about 100kg like you said, but according to this that seems to indicate a blast diameter of 3m. But does this seem to match?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is it obvious I want it to not be a Ukrainian SAM...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 09:22:06 pm by bloop_bleep »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: November 17, 2022, 11:47:01 pm »

I'm not worried. Even with the missile belonging to Ukraine, it's caused the world to think more about Russian aggression and what it could mean. I think there will still be an increase in funding to Ukraine.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 167