Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 116804 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1680 on: November 18, 2022, 01:51:45 am »

Exactly, Ukraine aren’t the ones indiscriminately firing missiles into another country in a horribly unpleasant war of attrition.

On another note, the alternative to it being a Ukrainian missile is that it was a Russian missile. I don’t think that Russian missiles killing NATO member nation’s civilians is something to wish for.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: November 18, 2022, 04:09:11 am »

On another note, the alternative to it being a Ukrainian missile is that it was a Russian missile. I don’t think that Russian missiles killing NATO member nation’s civilians is something to wish for.

Yeah, I've realized that aspect of it... I guess it was out of shame.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: November 30, 2022, 04:22:35 pm »

Generally, the cruellest are perhaps those who are of Russia but are not of the Russian tradition, such as the Chechens, the Buryati and so on
Pope Francis....

Spending some of the few moments when I have both electricity and the internet to say that it is one of the most disgusting stuff I read from a non-Russian for quite some time.

It is a quite cute racist attempt to whitewash Russian war crimes shifting the blame to untermenshens (read People of Russian Empire whose cultures are almost destroyed by the Russian Empire)...

Those "Chechens" and "Buryats" who, among other Russians, do numerous crimes against humanity, are this way because they embraced Russian tradition betraying their own.

PS. My anti-theistic views became so much stronger since the beginning of the (new stage of) war. Organized religions are source of Evil
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: November 30, 2022, 05:15:03 pm »

It's things like this that make me glad the Orthodox Church has multiple patriarchs, not just one dude :-\

some of the few moments when I have both electricity and the internet

Good strength out there
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: November 30, 2022, 05:25:55 pm »

I don't pay attention to any religious leaders, mostly, and this is the first sight I've had of this comment.

I read (in isolation) that comment as being aligned to you, i.e. the faux-nationalists are the more despicable, though if the natively-nationalist actual Russians are being 'significantly excused' in surrounding text (that you don't include) then I can clearly see the rift between you and His Popeness. Being one of the misguided mass, in any culture but especially one which industrialises the misinformation machine, is a clear mitigating factor - albeit only marginally/comparatively so.

For a religion where "hate the sin, love the sinner" is the order of the day (theoretically!), I could certainly see the Pope not going for full national condemnation, but making even an equivocal-looking wording into what is actually a fairly serious escalation of opinion. (Not that the ~0.1% of barely-countable Catholics, within Russia, can do much to sway things in response.)

But I generalise. I don't know much at all about the Buryati. And Chechnya is famous to me mostly for an earlier clusterfuck of opposing ideologies (and I couldn't even say for sure which was objectively the least horrible) that seemed never ending (did it ever end?) and definitely created motivated radicals, some of whom are probably very useful enemies to deploy into your own most recent theatre of conflict. Useful idiots, at best; combat-hedonists, more likely. Very deliberately used as such by the Kremlin, naturally.

Not at all to dismiss your heartfelt report of your feelings, punctuated by your various blackouts. I sincerely hope to see a lot more from you and, though my words alone may be insignificant help, I'm trying to radiate only the best of best wishes to you and the others in your situation. Please continue to take care/stay lucky. (And the same to 'woke' Russians out there. Not so much potentially at the wrong end of a missile, I know, but still uneasily having to navigate a hostile political environment/etc.)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: December 01, 2022, 04:30:13 am »

It's things like this that make me glad the Orthodox Church has multiple patriarchs, not just one dude :-\

some of the few moments when I have both electricity and the internet

Good strength out there
Same, I don't follow Kirill.

Anyways, yeah the Chechens and Buryats who do war crimes are brainwashed and conscripted. Though Chechen culture is even more conservative and bigoted than Russian culture... don't have a high opinion of it. Buryatia is alright.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1686 on: December 01, 2022, 08:26:01 am »

I think Pope Francis just fell for the memes that have been intentionally spread by Russians and Ukrainians, for different reasons, to pin an unfair level of blame for the atrocities commited in Ukraine on Buryats and Chechens. The same subtext was being built up around Syrian fighters, but the Syrians never did see Ukrainian deployment. E.g. those savage Buryats who lust for battle and rape are echoes of WWII era "Eastern Mongoloid threat" propaganda, that some great big horde of asiatics would come raping from the east again. It's especially saddening when it seems the real Buryats just want to go home. The chechen situation is a bit more interesting because of the role of Kadyrovites deliberately inflaming their reputation for brutality to try and boost their clout within Putin's inner circle. The Pope, being a dinosaur, has not probably been briefed on the nuances of the minorities being disproportionately sent to the front to die for Putin's cause

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: December 01, 2022, 10:52:30 am »

Isn't this the same Pope that likes Vegeta?  ???

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: December 01, 2022, 12:03:43 pm »

And who was gifted Undertale.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: December 01, 2022, 01:27:56 pm »

And who was gifted Undertale.

One wonders if this Pope destroyed anyone in their Undertale playthrough.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1690 on: December 01, 2022, 01:47:10 pm »

Isn't this the same Pope that likes Vegeta?  ???
wtf I love the pope now

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: December 02, 2022, 05:10:15 am »

Does that mean the Pope is a confirmed weeb?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1692 on: December 02, 2022, 06:00:53 am »

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a weeb to pass through the gates of heaven

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: December 02, 2022, 08:27:09 am »

WTF. Bomb letters at embassies and companies in Spain, and now the Ukrainian embassy in the Hague got a package full of bloody gouged out animal eyes. It is being investigated for diseases and poisons.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1694 on: December 03, 2022, 06:14:03 am »

“After opening the box and hearing a click that followed, he tossed it and then heard the explosion,” the ambassador to Spain, Serhii Pohoreltsev, told Ukraine’s European Pravda news site. “Despite not holding the box at the time of the explosion, the commandant hurt his hands and received a concussion.”
The absolute reflexes of this bureaucrat. What a top don
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 167