Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 112167 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1695 on: December 03, 2022, 04:52:29 pm »

Sounds like he's had prior experience with explosive mail
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1696 on: December 04, 2022, 08:27:56 am »

Sounds like he's had prior experience with explosive mail
Never unapologetically offend chemists, engineers or botanists

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: December 14, 2022, 11:20:02 am »

Ukrainian authorities discovered a room that Russians used to detain and torture children during the occupation of Kherson, Dmytro Lubinets, the Human Rights Commissioner of the Verkhovna Rada, said on Dec. 14.

According to testimonies from locals, other torture victims in the facility knew that Ukrainian children had been kept there by Russian security services, who had called the room “the children's cell.”

The children were given little water and almost no food, Lubinets said. According to locals' testimonies, the children were subjected to psychological abuse at the hands of their Russian captors, who told them that their parents had abandoned them and that they would never return home.

One 14-year-old boy was arrested and later tortured just for taking a picture of broken Russian equipment, Lubinets said. 

"We recorded the torture of children for the first time," said Lubinets. "I thought that the bottom could not be broken after Buchi, Irpin... but we really reached the bottom in Kherson."
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: December 14, 2022, 11:32:39 am »

Wow, you think they've cleared every feasible "We're a shit country" checkmark and they find another one to go for.

EDIT: You got a source for that? I'm not seeing anything.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 11:34:57 am by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: December 14, 2022, 11:40:19 am »

Found this. https://kyivindependent.com/news-feed/ombudsman-childrens-torture-chamber-found-in-liberated-kherson

Sometimes I wonder if my constant murder fantasies are justified. Things like this remind me: they are. They always are.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: December 14, 2022, 12:10:43 pm »

Found this. https://kyivindependent.com/news-feed/ombudsman-childrens-torture-chamber-found-in-liberated-kherson

Sometimes I wonder if my constant murder fantasies are justified. Things like this remind me: they are. They always are.
I'm more a fan of the "Bung them in a cell for the rest of their lives and let them know how despised they are by everyone, down to former friends and family" method.

Another 50 years of routine monotony with no chance of freedom and an understanding that despite all your attempts, you failed and are a failure.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: December 14, 2022, 08:33:15 pm »

"We recorded the torture of children for the first time," said Lubinets. "I thought that the bottom could not be broken after Buchi, Irpin... but we really reached the bottom in Kherson."

?? ?? ??

Good lord. Why do we worry about thermonuclear war when things like this are happening. The downfall of humanity has already occurred.

(You don't need to explain to me. I'm expressing my feelings).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: December 14, 2022, 08:38:26 pm »

Expression of feelings is one of the purposes of this thread.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: December 14, 2022, 08:44:27 pm »

"We recorded the torture of children for the first time," said Lubinets. "I thought that the bottom could not be broken after Buchi, Irpin... but we really reached the bottom in Kherson."

?? ?? ??

Good lord. Why do we worry about thermonuclear war when things like this are happening. The downfall of humanity has already occurred.

(You don't need to explain to me. I'm expressing my feelings).
A significant number, I'd say a solid majority, of us humans are horrified by events like this. Remember that, no matter how dark something is, there's always people opposing it in some way or another.

We can't untorture the kids, and we can't bring the dead back to life, but we can do what we can to ensure it never happens again.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: December 15, 2022, 09:48:52 am »

https://www.economist.com/zaluzhny-transcript

Nice interview with Zaluzhny, commander of the Ukrainian armed forces
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: December 15, 2022, 11:47:49 pm »

My theory, at this point, is that most mainstream poor/middle class Americans sympathize on the most basic level with the Ukrainians. Furthermore, the Keys to Armageddon are held by people SO far above them in the pecking order, they can live with that threat hanging over them, since they have so little control over their destiny in the first place.

It's the Rich Fucks that are mostly Against the War. Most don't really sympathize with Russia. Or American. Their sympathies are with their own survival, both physical and economic.
Only Some of them are profiting from the War, most are losing money. Furthermore, they've actually MET the folks who control the Nukes, so they feel the Nuclear Threat more, plus they've been too long without worrying about "lesser things" that could inspire sympathy for Ukraine. So they mobilize their Spin Doctors, Paid Politicians, and Pampered Professors.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: December 16, 2022, 12:48:41 am »

EJ, have you read With Fire and Sword? (wiki link in blue)

Subversion and class warfare is an ancient Russian government strategy through centuries, for example in the case of the Cossacks who are central to the above book, though this occurred some time after the book's setting IIRC. Though I am no expert, I've read somewhere that Russia supported wealthier landowners against the poor and possibly vice versa, though I can't recall specifically if the latter was the case though it seems quite probable as it makes the strategy more effective to inflame both groups. The result is that through this weakening many free bands/hosts were dispersed, destroyed and many others made into generations of slaves under arms for the Russian central power. Even now there are Russian Cossack battallions fighting in Ukraine, where Wagner has taken credit for their very limited and sparse successes in territorial gains. Being slaves, there is not much they can do about this at this time without being destroyed.

Here is something related. It appears there may be an international conservative (extremist, or Putinist is more fair than labelling conservatism in general as such) cabal that is sympathetic to Putinism and I guess child torture chambers. Here are two recent articles, chosen for being recent:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/14/us/politics/extremism-republicans.html
(important to note the moderates actually from NY may not have known the shit they were walking into but still a foolish thing to do in hindsight I bet)

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/15/technology/russia-state-tv-ukraine-war.html

For a counter example, I read in an article that US banks are betting that the Federal Reserve will back down in the face of a recession in regards to interest rates. I do not feel that this is part of my theorized cabal, but instead reflects financial self-interest. This does not preclude cooperation with the cabal if it serves the interest in interest rates, but I do not think it is worthy of including in the cabal theory.

In regards to banks, I feel this is a bad strategy being floated in an article I read. If the Federal Reserve brakes it's policy too early, inflation may persist. If banks are found culpable at all by the public in starting a recession, Occupy Wallstreet 2 begins, though perhaps with a more conducive name to attract fellow youthful peasants such as myself, but who lean conservative in addition to moderate and liberal. My advice would be to support the Fed in lowering inflation so that the interest rates are lowered naturally and not through pressure, without contributing to a recession  at the least, and if possible attempting to use the whole superpower of finance status thing to counter recession. As EJ above has indirectly pointed out, perhaps the risk is not worth the return in the long term to do otherwise. I would also suggest that if interest rates do not tame inflation, the government(s) may have to find ways to implement some kind of broad price control scheme, as I have read at least one noted economist suggest inflation is being driven by increasing profit seeking rather than cost increases. This isn't very good for anyone unless the alternative is worse.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: December 16, 2022, 01:11:51 am »

...Does playing the Mount & Blade game count? :P

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: December 16, 2022, 01:15:32 am »

Haha, that was how I learned of the book.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 167