Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 112120 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1710 on: December 16, 2022, 01:17:44 am »

Also: I don't pay NYTimes (or anyone) for articles. Got any freebie equivalent?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: December 16, 2022, 05:13:42 am »

Also: I don't pay NYTimes (or anyone) for articles. Got any freebie equivalent?
I've heard that if you open the link in a private browser you can read it for free.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: December 18, 2022, 01:12:49 am »

My theory, at this point, is that most mainstream poor/middle class Americans sympathize on the most basic level with the Ukrainians.
Yeah...Lower-class Westerners were covid-confined and sought vicarious thrills through the internet, and what better than the suspense of a threatened-then-actual war. The GOP politicians that wanted Ukrainian support to be too-little-too-late, couldn't delay in Washington because their voter base self-identified with their gun-happy Ukrainian brothers. They think "I always dreamed about shooting invading Russians in defense of my homeland... you Ukrainians are so lucky".
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: December 18, 2022, 03:43:52 pm »

My theory, at this point, is that most mainstream poor/middle class Americans sympathize on the most basic level with the Ukrainians.
Yeah...Lower-class Westerners were covid-confined and sought vicarious thrills through the internet, and what better than the suspense of a threatened-then-actual war. The GOP politicians that wanted Ukrainian support to be too-little-too-late, couldn't delay in Washington because their voter base self-identified with their gun-happy Ukrainian brothers. They think "I always dreamed about shooting invading Russians in defense of my homeland... you Ukrainians are so lucky".

Yes, you correctly identify the "split" in the GOP on this issue.

I use quotes because it officially doesn't exist, as the leadership refuses to acknowledge that their base wholly supports Ukraine, and thinks their Pro-Russia propaganda is actually working. Fuck 'em.

Oh wait, there is a split:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/18/republicans-ukraine-midterm-elections

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: December 20, 2022, 08:29:40 am »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1985510/Ukraine_War_Stories/

Hey. Just want to share this here. Visual novels about the early period of the war. Free
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: December 21, 2022, 03:20:48 am »

Dang it's not even over and they've already made a novelization of it.

Also related question have the Russians finally learned you don't put the general up in front of the troops so they die with the rest of them?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: December 21, 2022, 04:19:26 am »

Christmas is the season of giving, or perhaps if necessary in lease/lending.

300 tanks
700 AFV
500 howitzers
with supplies to sustain them, those tanks are particularly thirsty.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: December 21, 2022, 01:20:46 pm »

Dang it's not even over and they've already made a novelization of it.

Also related question have the Russians finally learned you don't put the general up in front of the troops so they die with the rest of them?
I doubt it.
From what little that I understand, it's a doctrinal problem that isn't going to be fixed by the Russians in this War.

But... it's never been easier to become a Russian General!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: December 22, 2022, 12:16:40 pm »

I have recently discovered the endless font of entertainment that is Igor Girkin's bumhurt basement rants. I highly recommend those, providing you understand Russian or can find them reposted with translation. It's one thing to hear doom and gloom for the Russian army prophetised by overly optimistic western media and bloggers, another to hear the same from disillusioned turbopatriots. The vitriol sounds like honey.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: December 28, 2022, 01:39:27 am »

https://youtu.be/1lpe1OgCbCY

Really good report from Bakhmum by VICE News
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: December 31, 2022, 10:36:07 am »

So, Russians are such a failure. I expected that I will celebrate the new year with no electricity, eating through my stockpile of non-perishables but they aren't even able to inflict lasting damage after spending billions in missiles (including) today.

Unusually warm winter does help, reducing strain on the energy infrastructure from electric heating.

2022 was... hmm... not boring. 2023... I expect it to be even more bloody. Russian society shows no signs of meaningful dissent and that means they will be pushed harder into mobilization and war economy.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: December 31, 2022, 11:27:37 am »

Hang in there, my dude. May the next year be boring and even fuller of Russian incompetence.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: January 01, 2023, 05:07:10 am »

Speaking of Russian incompetence have any more generals died since last time it was mentioned?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 01, 2023, 02:45:50 pm »

Speaking of Russian incompetence have any more generals died since last time it was mentioned?

Russians are impolite and don't inform us about such merry occurrences.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 167