Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 116815 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1815 on: January 20, 2023, 02:37:15 pm »

Wagner is trying very hard to be the Waffen-SS - an allegedly elite separate military organization that isn't part of the chain of command.

They are succeeding in one very significant way - they're very close to the same level of incompetence* that most Waffen-SS units showed.

*Yes, incompetence. Despite a formidable reputation, SS units usually fared quite a bit poorer on the battlefield than similarly equipped units from the other branches. What good results they had were more because Hitler liked them and got them better (or at least more) equipment.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: January 20, 2023, 05:47:28 pm »

Wagner is trying very hard to be the Waffen-SS - an allegedly elite separate military organization that isn't part of the chain of command.

They are succeeding in one very significant way - they're very close to the same level of incompetence* that most Waffen-SS units showed.

*Yes, incompetence. Despite a formidable reputation, SS units usually fared quite a bit poorer on the battlefield than similarly equipped units from the other branches. What good results they had were more because Hitler liked them and got them better (or at least more) equipment.
They have similar origins: Both are civilian murderers with military equipment and support from the Leader.

They probably have similar objectives, unfortunately.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: January 20, 2023, 06:37:00 pm »

The usual chain of events when you send criminals to fight and murder (a.k.a. colonization), is that the criminals either become legit or get killed off by those that went legit (in both the source country and the target country).

It happens because the more dangerous the military special expedition is, the better the criminals become at being organized, and "organized crime" hates "crime".

https://discworldquotes.tumblr.com/post/150983136815/one-of-the-patricians-greatest-contributions-to

(If only. In an imperfect world, I don't see that as being as bad as what it can otherwise be. But Putin aint a Vetinari. In some ways somewhere between Lord Winder and Lord Snapcase, but with shades of Olaf Quimby II that I hope eventually will come back to bite him.)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: January 21, 2023, 12:01:07 am »

Putin isn't good enough to be compared to any of the characters in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Those folks have to be interesting enough to survive and thrive on the Discworld. Putin's just another Hitler/Stalin retread. I sincerely hope he's mostly forgotten in Twenty years...

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: January 21, 2023, 02:14:31 am »

Putin isn't good enough to be compared to any of the characters in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Those folks have to be interesting enough to survive and thrive on the Discworld. Putin's just another Hitler/Stalin retread. I sincerely hope he's mostly forgotten in Twenty years...

I doubt the forgotten part.

Scenario 1) A minor Russian Defeat (which will leave still leave a large country named Russia in one form or another), Russians will use him as a scapegoat for all crimes... before bringing him to the rank of their saints a few decades later.

Scenario 2) Major Russian collapse, which will turn Russia in an area of a bloody civil war... Putin will be remembered as the guy who caused that.

Scenario 3) Russia will somehow win and be able to conquer Ukraine. It will cause a genocide of the Holocaust scale securing a major place in history.   

Scenario 4) Russia will start a nuclear war. This will keep Putin in the history books of whatever civilization that will come out of the war.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: January 21, 2023, 02:15:47 am »

I also doubt Putin will be forgotten any time soon.

Wagner is trying very hard to be the Waffen-SS
But do they kill each other off as much as the SS did?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: January 21, 2023, 02:57:33 am »

Well, they do go out of their way to retrieve deserters through prisoner exchange deals with Ukraine, just so they can smash in their face with a sledgehammer until they dead.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: January 21, 2023, 03:23:09 pm »

I doubt the forgotten part.

Scenario 1) A minor Russian Defeat (which will leave still leave a large country named Russia in one form or another), Russians will use him as a scapegoat for all crimes... before bringing him to the rank of their saints a few decades later.

Scenario 2) Major Russian collapse, which will turn Russia in an area of a bloody civil war... Putin will be remembered as the guy who caused that.

Scenario 3) Russia will somehow win and be able to conquer Ukraine. It will cause a genocide of the Holocaust scale securing a major place in history.   

Scenario 4) Russia will start a nuclear war. This will keep Putin in the history books of whatever civilization that will come out of the war.

Scenario 5) A humiliated Russia develops a strong anarchist movement, which takes over the government. Then proceeds to aggressively tame all sectors of the economy to rebuild military might - rebuilding a far more capable army to avenge their defeat a generation from now. Putin becomes the plaster saint who was "betrayed" by "elites" in the highest halls of power, who stabbed Glorious Mother Russia in the back.

This is the one that keeps me up at night sometimes. It may look kind of familiar.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: January 21, 2023, 10:32:26 pm »

Do you mean anarchist in the sense of disruptive groups that creates a window for political upheaving, or specifically anarchist in the sense of being anti-authority as a principle?

If the latter TBH I don't see Secenario 5 as a likely outcome. If the former, maybe, depending on who consolidates power. Particularly if it's one of the ones wanking to Stalinism (minus the communism).
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: January 21, 2023, 10:54:45 pm »

Anarchists won't do that tbh. Nor do they have any chance of winning if there is a civil war.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: January 21, 2023, 11:34:35 pm »

That was a strange autocorrect that I didn't catch - I typed that on mobile.

It should read "strong revanchist" movement.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: January 22, 2023, 05:44:46 am »

https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1616343842684563456

Those people individuals are so sure that they are immune to any justice
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1827 on: January 22, 2023, 07:50:45 am »

Similar story with the Kadyvorites. It's easy to appear formidable and strong when your opposition has thus far consisted of journalists shooting at you with cameras. But the moment the kadyvorites encountered Ukrainian soldiers, eh, not so invincible anymore

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: January 23, 2023, 01:53:55 am »

They effectively are immune to justice because the Russian courts will not turn on them and any non-Russian courts that convict them "in absentia" won't be able to extradite them. Hopefully some enterprising Russians will kidnap him for a bounty.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: January 23, 2023, 05:32:49 am »

But trials and kidnapping are a lot of work why not save time and just shoot him?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 167