Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 116781 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1830 on: January 23, 2023, 12:51:40 pm »

But trials and kidnapping are a lot of work why not save time and just shoot him?
That "attitude" (the more murderly-minded attitude, not the lighter attitude that I presume you're taking), is why countries like the USA can't recognize the ICC.

The idea of a "assassination" always births the idea of "just retribution" and it always escalates to "just war", and there is no "just war" that doesn't involve killing lots of civilians somewhere, which is where "war crimes" come from. Desert Storm was a good example of a "just war" that was carried out successfully, but what happened both before and after in that region? Back 1910-ish, the UK set up British Petroleum to secure future oil supplies by supporting state overthrow in the Gulf region (were assassinations involved? well, delivering military equipment is "a lot of work why not save time and just shoot him"?).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This conflict with Russia invading Ukraine, this is just "colonization version n.nnn". It was done to maintain Russia's economic control of cheaply produced and cheaply transported natural gas into the EU, to prevent Western businesses from using Ukrainian reserves to replace Russian piped gas into the EU.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: January 23, 2023, 03:46:57 pm »

But trials and kidnapping are a lot of work why not save time and just shoot him?
That "attitude" (the more murderly-minded attitude, not the lighter attitude that I presume you're taking), is why countries like the USA can't recognize the ICC.

The idea of a "assassination" always births the idea of "just retribution" and it always escalates to "just war", and there is no "just war" that doesn't involve killing lots of civilians somewhere, which is where "war crimes" come from. Desert Storm was a good example of a "just war" that was carried out successfully, but what happened both before and after in that region? Back 1910-ish, the UK set up British Petroleum to secure future oil supplies by supporting state overthrow in the Gulf region (were assassinations involved? well, delivering military equipment is "a lot of work why not save time and just shoot him"?).

This conflict with Russia invading Ukraine, this is just "colonization version n.nnn". It was done to maintain Russia's economic control of cheaply produced and cheaply transported natural gas into the EU, to prevent Western businesses from using Ukrainian reserves to replace Russian piped gas into the EU.

This is extremely flawed. To begin with, drawing a straight line from British colonialism in the 1910s to the Iraqi invasion of Saudi Arabia is pretty sketchy. The British did put in the government that was overthrown by the government that was overthrown by the B'aathist movement that eventually put Saddam in power, as part of the dissolution of the Ottoman empire following the First World War. It is also accurate to say that the Pan-Arab movement that overthrew the Hashemite monarchy was motivated by a Arab nationalist movement that wanted Foreigners Out, but the inciting incident was more complex than mere colonialism - the Hashemite king had entered into an alliance with other states in the region (under British advice) that led to severe tensions with Egypt. Egypt eventually responded to these tensions by seizing the Suez canal. This led to a war in which Iraq - a British ally - was compelled to participate. The final straw was the formation of the United Arab Republic between Egypt and Syria. Rather than joining it, the Hashemite regime of Iraq created a second Arab union with the Hashemite regime of Jordan. This was seen as British puppetmastering and led to a "Foreigners Out!" coup.

From this point, blaming the history of the region on any Colonial Power (except possibly the USSR, but even that is pretty iffy) becomes very difficult. The new leader backpedaled on joining the UAR on the insistence of the Iraqi Communist Party, greatly upsetting the pan-Arab nationalists, which was made worse (even if it proved the decision correct!) when the UAR collapsed because of severe differences between the two member countries a few years later. So the B'aathists spent a little time building power and launched a coup. After a few months of bloody purges, "Iraq first" and "Pan-Arabism" again led to violence, and the Pan-Arab portion of the government wound up purged and a new government formed. This government in turn would be overthrown by the B'aathists (bloodlessly this time) about five years later. There were a large number of claims of foreign plots to undermine the new government, with lots of executions, but little evidence has been found to substantiate these claims. It is very possible, even likely, that they were manufactured out of whole cloth to shore up the new government's stability.

After about ten years, Saddam took over, carried out the traditional purge, and went about his business. The path to the Gulf War started in 1980, when Saddam feared that Iran's Shia theocracy would foment an uprising among Iraq's Shia-majority population against the nominally secular and Sunni dominated government. Iraq's defeat in this ten-year conflict bankrupted the country and massively eroded the government's position. They couldn't even pay the troops on demobilization, and there's a pretty big risk involved in telling large numbers of armed men that they have to hand in their guns and get nothing for years of risking their lives. But Iraq had a couple of very weak but very rich neighbors and a lot of armed men who'd spent years learning to fight. After interpreting a "I can't take a position on that" from the US ambssador as "That's your business, the US will not get involved" instead of "that's above my pay grade, I'll have to talk to Washington about their stance on this", they launched a Short Victorious War against Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. After several months of building up, this invasion was obliterated in Desert Storm with no mass civilian death or war crimes happening.

Putting all that down to "colonialism" is the same thing as saying "those brown people over their have no agency of their own, they're just mindless puppets doing whatever the Real People tell them to do".

As for your other example, nobody ever really claimed Vietnam was a "Just war". It was openly a "bail out the French fuckup, and hold the line against Communist influence". The tragic part, of course, is if the US government had been willing to tell the French to piss off, they could probably have Held The Line by simply investing in Ho Chi Minh - Vietnam was communist more because that's who was handing out weapons and support than for any other reason.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: January 23, 2023, 04:29:00 pm »

Putin isn't good enough to be compared to any of the characters in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Those folks have to be interesting enough to survive and thrive on the Discworld. Putin's just another Hitler/Stalin retread. I sincerely hope he's mostly forgotten in Twenty years...

I doubt the forgotten part.

Scenario 1) A minor Russian Defeat (which will leave still leave a large country named Russia in one form or another), Russians will use him as a scapegoat for all crimes... before bringing him to the rank of their saints a few decades later.

Scenario 2) Major Russian collapse, which will turn Russia in an area of a bloody civil war... Putin will be remembered as the guy who caused that.

Scenario 3) Russia will somehow win and be able to conquer Ukraine. It will cause a genocide of the Holocaust scale securing a major place in history.   

Scenario 4) Russia will start a nuclear war. This will keep Putin in the history books of whatever civilization that will come out of the war.
Another possibility? Maybe the Special Military Operation really was intended to be that. Similar to the various police actions declared by the West? Russia did not conduct a "Shock and Awe" operation, nor detonate several MOABs, nor even approach Obama's record of deliberate drone strikes of weddings and funerals. Why not? Other than, of course, those are acceptable when the West does them, when the West's "diplomacy" results in the deaths of a half-million kids, but not when anyone else does it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: January 23, 2023, 05:29:50 pm »

You don't open a police action by launching a lightning strike on the other country's capital from multiple directions, including airborne assaults intended to allow reinforcements directly into the rear. You certainly don't start one by mandating your troops carry dress uniforms in their vehicles for the victory parade. And you never, ever, ever begin one with "the target country has no right to exist, we will exterminate their false nationality and erase their very concept from existence" speech. You have to be fundamentally broken in the head - or been mainlining Russian propaganda - to believe this was ever anything but a war of extermination.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: January 23, 2023, 07:23:15 pm »

I've seen the exact same "but the west waaaah" horseshit from others and 90% of the time it's basically:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: January 23, 2023, 07:40:11 pm »

War of Conquest with a liberal helping of War of Extermination heaped on top. The national antipathy thing, while horrific, just a smoke screen for the land grab. So while the extermination may rise to the top as the worst thing, the conquest by a supposed superpower is what underpins it all.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 07:42:12 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: January 23, 2023, 07:48:17 pm »

Putin isn't good enough to be compared to any of the characters in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Those folks have to be interesting enough to survive and thrive on the Discworld. Putin's just another Hitler/Stalin retread. I sincerely hope he's mostly forgotten in Twenty years...

I doubt the forgotten part.

Scenario 1) A minor Russian Defeat (which will leave still leave a large country named Russia in one form or another), Russians will use him as a scapegoat for all crimes... before bringing him to the rank of their saints a few decades later.

Scenario 2) Major Russian collapse, which will turn Russia in an area of a bloody civil war... Putin will be remembered as the guy who caused that.

Scenario 3) Russia will somehow win and be able to conquer Ukraine. It will cause a genocide of the Holocaust scale securing a major place in history.   

Scenario 4) Russia will start a nuclear war. This will keep Putin in the history books of whatever civilization that will come out of the war.
Another possibility? Maybe the Special Military Operation really was intended to be that. Similar to the various police actions declared by the West? Russia did not conduct a "Shock and Awe" operation, nor detonate several MOABs, nor even approach Obama's record of deliberate drone strikes of weddings and funerals. Why not? Other than, of course, those are acceptable when the West does them, when the West's "diplomacy" results in the deaths of a half-million kids, but not when anyone else does it.

It is an ideological war of genocide with the clear goal of the destruction of Ukrainian nation. Russians don't even try to hide it.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: January 23, 2023, 10:08:03 pm »

Great, another Putinist shill.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: January 23, 2023, 10:14:15 pm »

Gotta admit, you've got the "Emotional Responses..." part of the thread down pat.

Young family at church got word in 2018 that her folks got blown up in I think it was Donetsk. He went over in early 2019 to get his family out. He got blown up, too. Official Ukrainian line was like Dr. Strangelove says, "These things happen." Note to the dim -- that was before Russia moved in. It was blamed on paramilitaries. But blasting off enough arty to bankrupt a medium sized company? Yep, I'm buying it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: January 23, 2023, 10:24:45 pm »

The fighting in Donestk was started by Russia in 2014. All those "paramilitaries" and "seperatists" were Russian soldiers putting in the barest hint of a smokescreen to hide what they were doing. It wasn't intended to fool anybody but the extremely gullible.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: January 23, 2023, 10:31:00 pm »

Ah you got there before I did… it bears repeating though.

Russia was pumping soldiers into Eastern Ukraine since the “ceasefire” in 2014, and have been supporting them ever since, and fast-tracking getting people there Russian passports precisely because they’ve been wanting to go back in since then, and they need merely the thinnest veneer of an excuse to do so..
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: January 23, 2023, 10:44:46 pm »

Gotta admit, you've got the "Emotional Responses..." part of the thread down pat.

Young family at church got word in 2018 that her folks got blown up in I think it was Donetsk. He went over in early 2019 to get his family out. He got blown up, too. Official Ukrainian line was like Dr. Strangelove says, "These things happen." Note to the dim -- that was before Russia moved in. It was blamed on paramilitaries. But blasting off enough arty to bankrupt a medium sized company? Yep, I'm buying it.
🤡
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: January 24, 2023, 01:07:24 am »

Ah you got there before I did… it bears repeating though.

Russia was pumping soldiers into Eastern Ukraine since the “ceasefire” in 2014, and have been supporting them ever since, and fast-tracking getting people there Russian passports precisely because they’ve been wanting to go back in since then, and they need merely the thinnest veneer of an excuse to do so..

Also, the total death count of the 2014-2022 is like 5K civilians and 15K combatants combined. With most of those being the first year. 2016-2021 had ~400 civilian death in total.

Even if one would assume that Ukraine is an evil Nazi state and people of Donbas should have been saved... the way how Russia solves it, with 50K+ dead civilians in Mariupol alone*, is way worse than anything that happened before.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: January 24, 2023, 10:56:01 am »

You guys have had more than enough time to get the story straight. Or are you seriously contending that the guys holed up in Mariupol were really Russians? That Russia destroyed their own in order to conceal the truth, to, um, as you say, fool the gullible? But weren't those "Russians" part of the same group who liberated Bucha after Russia pulled out? So it's Russians all the way down? Sneaky bastards, those Russians.

Look, the Ukrainian government itself blamed the shelling on "rogue ultranationalist paramilitaries" that they could not control, not on Russia. Somehow those same "rogue ultranationalist paramilitaries" ended up using NATO and US weapons. Are you now contending that the CIA was running guns to Russia? I'd certainly entertain the possibility that the CIA is incompetent, but that bad? That even after face-to-face contact, they couldn't identify real Russians as readily as some random internet board who has never seen them?

Makes no difference though. Believe as you like. Maybe some of you familiar with the region could help me out with something that's been bugging me for the last 40 years or so. I've been trying to understand the deep-seated hatred that Galicia has of Russians. Not Russia, not the Soviet Union, not of the Tsar, but of Russian people themselves. The papers and letters I was looking at from the early 1800s and late 1700s make that ethnic hatred plain. So obviously way before the Holodomor, before the USSR, etc. It goes back at least as far as Catherine the Great. But I understood that if not loved, at least she was appreciated for displacing the Ottoman Empire from Crimea and the south of Ukraine. Is this not the case? Were the people there resentful that they were no longer ruled by Muslims? The reason it comes up is back in college, I was tracing political ideologies, one of which became neo-conservatism, and I could not understand where the animosity from primarily Jewish thinkers about the Russian ethnicity came from, particularly in comparison to the Koran, which is explicitly anti-Semitic.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: January 24, 2023, 11:36:01 am »

What are you on about, mate? Galicia was never Ottoman, nor was it Russian until the WWII.

I'm not even touching the rest. (you forgot to repeat how Obama orchestrated the Maidan)
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 167