Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 115780 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1860 on: January 24, 2023, 05:06:06 pm »

He has a point. If you demand sources for someone to support their claims but refuse to do the same for your own, it’s not a ridiculous inference to make that you’re spouting Putinist propaganda.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: January 24, 2023, 05:11:17 pm »

The reason I can't provide links is so far as I can tell, those pages no longer exist. (The NYT article I linked to above appears not to exist in their own page's search. I only found it because I could narrow down where I got the link to one of a half-dozen aggregators, and found a deep link there.) At least some of the articles that I think are pointing to those pages are 404. None of the search engines provides any help at all. Seems the smart money is on that they were eliminated under the rubric of mis/disinformation.

When Winston Smith is busy memory-holing everything, it's a little tough to tell if we've always been at war with EastAsia or not. But based on my own recollection and Twitter Files, I'm pretty sure there's been a lot of memory-holing going on.

Are you seriously treating the Twitter Files as anything but blatant nonsense? They're nothing more than regurgitated conspiracy theories that just happen to buttress far right narratives, pushed by somebody that just happens to be replatforming extreme-right bigots and just happening to silence people disagreeing with them. It isn't actually possible to scrub all mentions of something from the Internet - even aggressive coordinated effort from almost every government on the planet has failed to do so with a lot of vile shit. You'd be able to find the claims HERE if there was any substance to them.

There's no 1984 memory-holing happening. You can't find those documents because they NEVER EXISTED, not because they've been suppressed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: January 24, 2023, 05:14:55 pm »

I've already written it off as horseshit, as this is very clearly not a good-faith argument. Not worth engaging Putinist trolls.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: January 24, 2023, 05:17:38 pm »

My man, settle down. You talk about church, suggesting you follow a certain set of beliefs, and then immediately act worse than pretty much everyone else here. I think there are misunderstandings on both sides, but it doesn't warrant that sort of outburst.

To say something vaguely related to the thread, I've heard of far more morally reprehensible actions from the Russian side of the conflict, so I'm supportive of Ukraine, so that the perpetrators might see judgement. Of course, if you want to be a skeptic, you could claim that, being in a country that supports Ukraine, I wouldn't hear about things negative to that country. I would say fair enough, I haven't done that much research, but I follow some sources that I believe do their best to find facts, so I'm satisfied with that right now.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: January 24, 2023, 06:00:04 pm »

I'd like to welcome our latest token conservative, and wish them well after all the reports start coming in.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: January 24, 2023, 06:52:32 pm »

Hey conservatives are alright, we have some right-minded (no pun intended) folks around here with some conservative ideals, but when they start verging into the conspiratorial nonsense is when there’s an issue.

It is sad given the displayed intelligence, but confirmation bias affects us all, so it’s not all that surprising either.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: January 24, 2023, 08:21:32 pm »

Are you seriously treating the Twitter Files as anything but blatant nonsense? They're nothing more than regurgitated conspiracy theories that just happen to buttress far right narratives, pushed by somebody that just happens to be replatforming extreme-right bigots and just happening to silence people disagreeing with them.

The twitter files are real dude. I don't know what sensationalized version of them you were shown, but all they reveal is that: twitter has a left-wing bias, twitter had private communication channels with both political parties, twitter had private communication channels with the federal government, and that the Hunter biden laptop story was suppressed.

All of this was either public knowledge or a reasonable assumption. The twitter files just confirmed what everyone already knew.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: January 24, 2023, 08:49:35 pm »

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-europe-ap-top-news-migration-united-nations-ee2fa37bb0ace7b4714c084998765f65

Russia of course uses the missile that was fired, so at the very least they were lying right off the bat here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61036740

More confirmation of the above.

Plus they wrote "for the children" in Russian on the missile. Seems a little unusual for a Ukrainian attack.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/01/21/world/kramatorsk-missile-train-station-recovery/

Center for Information Resilience says Russia is likely perpetrator. Mentions warnings from Russia that train stations in the area may be hit prior to the event. Separatists warn from doing train evacuations before.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/08/world/europe/ukraine-train-station-kramatorsk.html

Pentagon says Russian strike. Russia claimed a successful launch until it turns out there were civilian casualties, then denied it altogether.

https://t.me/kazansky2017/2407?fbclid=IwAR3CnKwlbLMVzt-rat7_4OW7MfyljyXjw-RUZlSGBEV5lQOH4mfeuHI9Qp4

Here is an example of one of these Russian boasts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2022/04/04/world/europe/bucha-ukraine-bodies.amp.html

Here you can find satellite images of the Bucha massacre. Such as those Starver was talking about.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 09:04:39 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: January 24, 2023, 08:51:11 pm »

i wasn't expressing my dark point of view on the matter clearly enough. The full statement was:
- there is no "just war" that doesn't involve killing lots of civilians somewhere.
If you add some darkness to the following statement:
- Desert Storm was a good example of a "just war" that was carried out successfully
it was meant to imply that all other "just wars" were unsuccessful and did involve killing lots of citizens by the "good guys", because you cannot fight a war on land without killing civilians by accident, let alone the killing of civilians by tired, angry, and apathetic soldiers who have lost perspective, also known as war crimes.

You are right that it was well-executed and civilian casualties were exceptional minimal, but if you believe the reason for entering the war was "just", you aren't seeing the greater history of the region as it is. I'll get back to that reason after Vietnam and Colonization...

Vietnam...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Colonization...

The Brits:

the middle east

Ukraine...
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: January 24, 2023, 09:12:51 pm »

the middle east

Here's the problem with this line of reasoning. The Ottoman Empire was a sovereign state long before the British got involved. Before the British Empire even existed - the Ottomans date back to the 1300s, at a time when England was freshly unified and the other nations on the British Isles were still independent.  Laying all the problems of the "Sick Man Of Europe" (which accumulated for literal centuries) at Britain's feet is fundamentally a Eurocentric "the only things that matter are things white people do" stance.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: January 24, 2023, 09:54:45 pm »

F you. Sideways. With a rusty chainsaw.
You too buddy.

You earned a report.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: January 24, 2023, 09:57:35 pm »

You weren't even the one he directed that at. No point feeding the trolls, as I've already pointed out. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: January 24, 2023, 10:05:29 pm »

Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: January 24, 2023, 10:12:09 pm »

Ukraine 2022 was about Russia trying to conquer the country and loot everything of value inside it.  Then the Ukrainians started proving they don't want to be part of Russia.

Now it's about more than that because there's nothing more threatening to Russia than a big neighbouring country running it's own government.

All this nonsense about it being (insert bogeyman X) are ignoring the clear actions of Ukrainians themselves.  They didn't like Zelynskyy.  They didn't like his government.  He won an election, lost popularity due to mistakes, and was going to lose the next election.

Russia saw him being unpopular and thought that would mean the country wouldn't fight off an invasion.

Turns out they didn't want to be ruled by Moscow, and that they were perfectly happy running their own politics.  And that disliking the president, gasp, doesn't mean disliking the country.

But Russia thought their independence was something granted to them from outside, not something they took for themselves.  And that's wrong.  If it was true, the war would be over by now.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: January 25, 2023, 12:42:50 am »

Not to retread an argument that went to some interesting (read: inexcusable) places, but do note that spy satellites:

1. Cannot "read license plates"
Resolutions of a few inches across are incredible, when pointing telescopes down at the surface of the Earth, and that's what spy satellites are running. US satellites have resolutions of at least 7cm per pixel. No license plate-reading from orbit, but incredibly capable. Relevant video about how Trump revealed a huge amount about the capabilities of a US spy satellite by sharing a single photo.

2. ARE CLASSIFIED
Like, I don't know why you'd expect the US to release images from their spy satellites which reveal said satellites' capabilities, orbital details, and whatnot. Yeah they'll admit that they can tell what's going on if it's necessary but they're not going to give you more details than that, there's no sense in helping any current or potential enemies.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 167