Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167]

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 116175 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #2490 on: March 06, 2023, 03:43:06 am »

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/04/answering-call-heavy-weaponry-supplied.html

14 Leopard 2A4s [Delivered from February 2023 onwards]
30 PT-91s [To be delivered]
United Kingdom 14 Challenger 2s [To be delivered]
100+ Leopard 1A5s [To be delivered]
8 Leopard 2A4s [To be delivered]
8 Leopard 2A4s [To be delivered]
10 Leopard 2A4s [To be delivered]
18 Leopard 2A6s [To be delivered]
3 Leopard 2A6s [To be delivered]
10 Strv 122s [To be delivered]
31 M1 Abrams [To be delivered]

This list may be outdated a bit but I would hear about a hundred of challenger 2s or over a hundred of Leopard 2s
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: March 06, 2023, 03:56:08 am »

As for the 100+ 1A5s, then many of them are probably the ones from Denmark.
https://cphpost.dk/2023-02-07/news/denmark-to-donate-tanks-to-ukraine/

I.e. somewhat old and in need of overhaul, but I hope they can be of help.

Go Ukraine!
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2492 on: March 06, 2023, 04:14:11 am »

Come on. They somehow managed to start using Krabs and HIMARS with remarkably little preparation. I fail to see how training on new tanks is such a qualitative difference from artillery. As far as I can see the delays are almost entirely political.
Not entirely political, as Shonus points out, but mostly political. It's why breaking the "taboo" is so important, and why countries like Estonia, Poland and the UK were significant politically as well as materially. When countries were debating whether it was safe to deplete their own stocks of arms, Estonia sent literally all of their artillery to Ukraine whilst bordering Russia themselves. When countries were debating whether it was safe to send "offensive" weapons to Ukraine without "escalating" the conflict or facing Russian retaliation, the UK was sending all of its anti-tank missiles and Poland was sending all of its artillery munitions in those vital early weeks of the war. And whilst other countries were debating whether they could send IFVs, Poland had already been sending its tanks and the UK had promised western-standard tanks. In each case a political taboo had been broken and the public case for sending weapons became not just palatable, but obvious. We can't exactly mock the German half-heartedness regarding sending materiel to Ukraine too much, for example, without acknowledging how traumatised their history in eastern europe is. For the german populace to actually go from supporting a limp German foreign policy to sending leopards to Ukraine is a political shift which will have great impacts for Ukraine, especially since the war will be a long one, and Ukraine will need armaments even after the war is over.

Also Ukrainian pilots are being trained to fly F-16s in Poland soon and will be trained to fly more advanced western aircraft in the UK which will hopefully lead to breaking the next taboo of not supplying Ukraine with offensive fixed wing aircraft.

“It was the same, by the way, with tanks – it was a breakthrough moment when it was necessary to move the reluctance of all other allies. And, if you remember, despite the fact that the announcement was made, the official confirmation by the Prime Minister took almost a week, for him to officially repeat it,” Prystaiko said.

“At this time, the British were trying to convince all the other allies that there were two options: either the UK proceeds with this announcement alone and makes this breach that everyone else has to go into, or let’s do this very important step all together as one front, as NATO. The UK was successful this time. I think the same process is happening now with fighter jets,” he added.
The political angle is very important, especially for helping NATO allies who are more afraid of doing individual pledges of support but are fine with doing NATO-level support

What? Has anything been delivered apart from the 14 Leopard 2s from Poland? I'm honestly asking, it's hard to keep up with all the info.
Also, how do you count few hundred latest-gen tanks? If you don't count the Leopard 1s (and you really shouldn't), there's maaaybe two brigades worth - less than a 100 pieces - of pledged vehicles. Pledged. FFS. With deliveries spread out across months. This is maybe replacement rate, not creating potential.
Even among those the 'last-gen' is arguable, as e.g. half the L2s are of older variants.
-28 Challenger 2s pledged from the UK, for delivery undisclosed time in March (as per earlier article)
-Poland already sent some, is sending more soon with the aim of getting all 14 across in a few days. It's possible already all 14 leopards have crossed the border but Poland doesn't want to announce that yet for security reasons.
Also note:
Warsaw's commitment to its neighbour has been instrumental in persuading European allies to donate heavy weapons to Ukraine, including tanks, a move opposed by several governments, including Berlin, until recently.
This is what I mean about how countries like Poland and the UK have been instrumental to breaking taboos in Paris and Berlin about "escalation" or offensive armaments, and even tiny ones like Estonia broke taboos about depleting defence stocks.
-Spain is sending half a dozen from March-April
And while the other European countries had been waiting for Germany to give them permission to send Ukraine their leopards, last month the Germans finally ok'd other Euros the green light for sending their leopard IIs to Ukraine. So with that political barrier out of the way Ukraine should get everyone's leopards by the end April or May

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: March 06, 2023, 02:32:21 pm »

Moments before execution of POW by firing squad.
Last words: "Слава Україні."
Assumed executed by Russians, now war criminals.
Date and Location still unknown, presumed recent.

This one is all over Ukrainian social networks, a revitalizing dose of anger.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: March 06, 2023, 03:35:18 pm »

What's exactly "revitalizing" on anger? Are you angry also about the atrocities committed on the Russian-speaking Ukrainians by the current Kyiv regime that was brought to power buy an armed coup organized and paid for by the West?
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: March 06, 2023, 03:45:27 pm »

Hi Red Diamond. Long time no see.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: March 06, 2023, 03:49:56 pm »

What's exactly "revitalizing" on anger? Are you angry also about the atrocities committed on the Russian-speaking Ukrainians by the current Kyiv regime that was brought to power buy an armed coup organized and paid for by the West?

Fuck off, Russian troll.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: March 06, 2023, 04:03:52 pm »

Surprisingly old account, actually. And has contributed to DF culture before, too, though I had to look as there was no name-reconition in my head. (I did check the dear departed RD, before they dearly departed, and was also not very recent, memory suggests 2020ish (edit: Yes, just confirmed, early 2020) so I doubt the cart and horse were the other way round either.)

[...], Russian troll.
Might I suggest we instead just roll out the actual refutations, again, instead? This new interjection is wrong, but could as easily be just misinformed. I mean, someone suddenly poking into this thread like that suggests not troubling or caring to be aware of all that has happened before, but if they're not just suddenly deciding to snipe away without care then perhaps we can square that particular circle instead...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 04:10:49 pm by Starver »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: March 06, 2023, 04:25:40 pm »

I mean we're STARTING with someone doing "but what about" in response to a guy getting fucking executed by firing squad. We're either in bad-faith horseshit territory to begin with or this person is dense as a fucking rock.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: March 06, 2023, 04:57:20 pm »

More or less what I thought.

We seem to be getting a single-file procession of buffoons trying to suggest Ukraine is at fault for being invaded and it is getting quite silly.

But yeah RD, don’t be flying off the handle at it. If it is a troll that’s what they want, if it isn’t it’s not going to make them any more receptive to being better informed about things. Just gotta whack the moles as they pop up and make sure the facts are at the forefront of our arguments.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2500 on: March 06, 2023, 07:35:34 pm »

Okay but what do you mean by this? You can't seriously be claiming the government that was voted in is some malicious CIA coup which saw seal team six handing out rocket launchers to grandmas

Like dude

Russia is literally trying to conquer Ukraine. Russian tankies raped children and left mass graves of civilians and then abducted millions of their children to be raised in Russia. Putin and his men still claim Ukraine is not a country and will be wiped off the map. Literally several of these points fall under UN definitions of genocide. The Russian invasion started with the mass bombardment of pro-Russian areas in Ukraine ostensibly to protect those Russian speaking Ukrainians by turning them into corpses.

I don't know how you can possibly ignore such an elephant in the room

Even the most generously pro-Moscow talking point that assumes Ukrainians have no agency, and all Ukrainian government ministers are just puppets of NATO titans, and all Ukrainian people are not people with a will to destiny like any other... What Putin is doing is still evil, is still illegal, is still political suicide and did I mention it's evil?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 07:37:40 pm by Loud Whispers »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: March 06, 2023, 07:53:01 pm »

We seem to be getting a single-file procession of buffoons trying to suggest Ukraine is at fault for being invaded and it is getting quite silly.
Red Diamond, Kamamura, and who?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: March 06, 2023, 08:45:55 pm »

Some weird-ass whose name escapes me, but he was posting nonsense in here and Ameripol. Made a single appearance supporting Diamond at one point and hasn’t been back since as far as I can tell
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: March 06, 2023, 10:17:02 pm »

[...], Russian troll.
Might I suggest we instead just roll out the actual refutations, again, instead? This new interjection is wrong, but could as easily be just misinformed. I mean, someone suddenly poking into this thread like that suggests not troubling or caring to be aware of all that has happened before, but if they're not just suddenly deciding to snipe away without care then perhaps we can square that particular circle instead...
Nah they don't deserve it. Don't bother arguing in good faith with zombies, they are too thick to understand your arguments.

snip
Don't feed the trolls, report and move on. Even if he isn't a troll, you won't fix him because those people are fundamentally rotten to their very core so why bother? I gave up long ago. That's why all my posts here since a while ago are so low-effort. Not taking idiots seriously really improved my mental health.

Some weird-ass whose name escapes me, but he was posting nonsense in here and Ameripol. Made a single appearance supporting Diamond at one point and hasn’t been back since as far as I can tell
Thorfinn.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 10:38:23 pm by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167]