Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 116761 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #360 on: May 14, 2022, 01:29:02 am »

Israel has approved Estonia's request to give Ukraine one anti-ship Blue Spear missile system.

My sincere gratitude to Lavrov for his Hitler was a Jew interview.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 14, 2022, 04:57:26 am »

Degrees of separatism, and degrees of suppression.

It isn't illegal to be a member of the Scottish National Party (arguably separatist), nor... any more... Sinn Fein[1][2] in Northern Ireland. Plaid Cymru is a valid Welsh party (I think there's others, like Plaid Glyndŵr), and Mebyon Kernow does that job for the P-Celtic peninsula that is just to the south. They are all 'separatist',

Whereas look at the pro-democracy/remain-unsubsumed movements in Hong Kong. Pretty much legislated out of existence, even the slightest "actually, I like it how it was" that really isn't anything comparable to actual regionalised nationalism.

Though I really wasn't considering the threat of separatism/nationalism, it was just that the Kazakh government is still very much of a variety of government where "stability" is only through some degree of oppression.

Now, to you, Max, you might calculate that it's a valid move to make if Russia goes to a level of intollerability. That even if it drives the Kazakh situation in the same direction that you'll get a grace period as you make a transition to whatever the follow-up destination is that you have in mind. But from what I heard of government crackdowns at the beginning of this year, any notable 'stability' compared to Russia is a "damning with faint praise" situation. You probably have your ears closer to the ground than us, of course, assuming you're not being kept in the dark by censorship, so it's just a 'typical western' viewpoint of mine that might be wrong.

((BTW, one of the rounds in a particularly entertaining celebrity quiz show thingummy is "Where Is Kazakhstan?". Because Kazakhstan is a good placeholder concept for "I know it exists, but couldn't find it on a map", which is the general premise of the round. i.e. finding things on a map, though I don't think it has ever been Kazakhstan... or the Central African Republic. ;)  For the ninth-largest country in the world (and with many other interesting distinctions), that says more about those who couldn't answer such a question than about Kazakhstan itself!))

Anyhoo. I hope you never need to go with your plans, but also that they go as well as possible if you do actually have to commit to them. It also makes me realise how relatively comfortable my own situation is...

[1] In fact, they're the ones that are being least childish, at the moment, compared with the non-separatist (by current standards!) DUP.
[2] However, being a member of any recognisable flavour of /New/Provisional/Whatever IRA is not. Links to SF aren't quite as joined-at-the-hip as they were, which was how the political arm stopped being proscribed.
We actually know quite a lot about Chinese separatism, and China puts way more effort into suppressing such things than Russia.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 14, 2022, 05:55:14 am »

Well, if the world will allow a precedent of nuclear power randomly declaring some territories theirs and annexing it, we are so screwed.

Can't argue with that.

The possibility is something that Russia is supposed to be prepared for. Supposed to be. This doesn't look like the orderly "50 metres apart, affixed with snorkels", at first glance. Perhaps someone decided to wing it (after or during the bridging unit being targetted), perhaps the attack precipitated matters and the crews prefered a bit of 'soft water' protection over standing in the 'open' under bombardment.

I suspect (totally without professional experience in these matters) that a failure to properly train and reherse might have been part of the issue. Still, if the crews have the emergency breathing gear (if not the chance to have a go in the escape-simulators) there might not have been so much risk of actual drowning, in the undoubted mayhem, leaving it up to opposition artillery/dronestrikes/whatever to cause any subsequent casualties.

A retired Australian general had some insights on Twitter about the failed bridging attempt:

Spoiler: the Twitter thread (click to show/hide)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 14, 2022, 10:35:26 am »

Well, if the world will allow a precedent of nuclear power randomly declaring some territories theirs and annexing it, we are so screwed.

Can't argue with that.
Those who condemn NATO aid to Ukraine as "American imperialism" while ignoring the fact that it's to keep Ukraine's independence in the face of Russian Imperialism are Putinist agents. Regardless of claimed political alignment, they are playing into the Russian government's plans: for the West to go into isolation. Thus they are Putinists. They are traitors to the democratic world.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 14, 2022, 12:08:09 pm »

Meanwhile, Russia cuts off electricity to Finland and will likely do the same with natural gas

What can I say? Njet Molotoff Lavroff, Njet Molofoff Lavroff, it won't stop Finland from joining NATO
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 14, 2022, 03:08:05 pm »

In case anyone isn't understanding the Chomsky hate here, I thought I'd link a relevant video from that Kraut guy I mentioned in the old thread that explains the subject.

Essentially speaking, Chomsky has a strong hate-boner for America to the point that he irrationally hates everything America does, including the time when America intervened to stop the Bosnian genocide. Since it isn't appropriate to say "Stopping genocide is bad", Chomsky has had to do a lot of mental gymnastics to keep his dysfunctional worldview alive. It's lead him to twist facts and blatantly lie to push the narrative that the Bosnian genocide wasn't a genocide. The guy is as delusional as a Tankie, which is why he isn't seen as a respectable intellectual.

It would be totally in character for Chomsky to support Putin in this conflict.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 14, 2022, 03:19:48 pm »

Chomsky is blind to the imperialism of Russia and other states than the US, but unfortunately he's not the only one in the so-called intellectual Left with that kind of views.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 14, 2022, 06:30:52 pm »

Gnome Chomsky from Left 4 Dead 2 is probably more popular than the other weirdo
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 14, 2022, 06:48:12 pm »

Witnessing an epic meltdown of Russians in youtube comments after Ukraine's victory in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 14, 2022, 09:47:47 pm »

Chomsky is blind to the imperialism of Russia and other states than the US, but unfortunately he's not the only one in the so-called intellectual Left with that kind of views.

The man's never met a genocide he won't deny, but you're fundamentally right.

There's a huge portion of the left, particularly the Internet Left, and most particularly the American Internet Left, who's policies begin and end with "AMERICA BAD!". Often to the point of wrapping around to "PUTIN GOOD!" or "ASSAT GOOD!" or "KIM JONG-UN GOOD" purely because they oppose America and America is evil and the only country with agency. Many prominent leftist podcasts, Twitter "pundits", and authors fall into this category.

By some strange coincidence, most of them have gotten a lot less fundraising and lower engagement with their work in the last three or four months for some reason or other, just as has happened with the global far right.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 15, 2022, 01:01:18 am »

Yeah, in Europe I see mostly far-right Putin lovers.

Chomsky should know better, watching him makes me sad. I can't hate him. Trump deserves that to a much greater degree. Lord knows what kind of top-secret intel he has handed Putin over the last years.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 15, 2022, 03:13:41 am »

If you call yourself a leftist and yet you want to let a right-wing dictatorship have its way, you are not actually a leftist because you support actively sabotaging your cause. America is hardly perfect, but it still passes the very low bar of being better than Russia and China.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 15, 2022, 03:24:44 am »

The trick is to assume that every bad thing other countries do is CIA propaganda. Or else something that mean old America forced them to do, because this strain of American Leftism still treats the USA as the center of the world and the only country that matters the way the hardcore right does, they just think it is pure evil instead of pure good.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 16, 2022, 02:26:39 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Z51no1TD0

This music video... It is pure art showing what this war looks like. Somehow they expressed my own emotions so well.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 16, 2022, 06:04:19 pm »

Normally I don't care much about the Song Festival or about rap, but this is beautiful.

The song expresses not only pain and tragedy, but also an indomitable vitality, a refreshing belief that freedom is worth fighting for. Too many people in the West have grown cynical about their own democratic rights. A kind of cynism that the Kremlin has been feeding, in collaboration with rightwing nutjobs and useful idiots. They want to make us to believe that democracy and the free press are no better than despotism and state propaganda.

It sounds corny as hell, but Ukraine really is a beacon of light in dark times.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 167