Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 116882 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #630 on: June 28, 2022, 12:51:12 am »

Plausible conspiracy theory: Yeltsin didn't "choose" Putin as his successor, he was blackmailed.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 28, 2022, 01:23:39 am »

I am about two or three steps away from thinking Putin is the Antichrist.

He is Khuilo and he should retain this title in history. Calling him Antichrist is flattering him.

Also, Antichrist is meant to be loved by humanity, this is clearly not the case. Even Russian imperialists and neo-nazi despise this creature (for different reasons than you and I.) Putin is loved only by truly brainless people
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 28, 2022, 07:45:37 am »

I would be charitable if I said I believed it was a pure error. The buildings in Kiev that got targetted, apparently not too far away from some actual war-related place (chemical plant? - not that the actual striking of one of those is going to be too brilliant[1]) and the shopping mall that is much further away from the front-lines could be similarly not too much more distant from something 'legitimate' - with heavy-duty use of quotes there in a generally illegitimately created conflict - that should have been the recipient of the strike.

Or Russia just did as the US did in Yugoslavia (and in countless other cases) and precisely hit an imprecisely identified target (this time it wasn't a Chinese Embassy/whatever, though).

But these are just excuses. Every possible interpretation puts Russia (and/or those directly responsible within Russia) in a bad light, just various different hues of that light. Incompetance, carelessness, psychpathy, etc... If they choose to say anything about it (internally or externally), they will of course choose whichever version they can best spin. "There were International Mercenaries training there, in secret" or "Ukraine got a lucky interception onto our missile, which then fell onto their own mall" or something. So far, I've not heard of anything they said, so maybe it'll just be silence (publically, at least).

[1] We've seen what happens with actual chemical-plant incidents, and yesterday there was that single shipping-container of Chlorine apparently dropped in that Jordanian port..

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 28, 2022, 08:01:52 am »

If they choose to say anything about it (internally or externally), they will of course choose whichever version they can best spin. "There were International Mercenaries training there, in secret" or "Ukraine got a lucky interception onto our missile, which then fell onto their own mall" or something. So far, I've not heard of anything they said, so maybe it'll just be silence (publically, at least).
The Russian ministry of Defense told the Russian press agency RIA that the missile targeted a 'storage for Western weapons' near the mall, hit that, and that the subsequent fires destroyed the 'abandoned' mall

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/g7-verzekert-oekraine-van-steun-en-wil-oorlogsmachine-poetin-hard-raken-vrouw-en-dochter-biden-op-russische-sanctielijst~bdee0d5a/

Rusland: raketaanval Krementsjoek was gericht op wapenopslag

Rusland ontkent dat het een raketaanval op een winkelcentrum in Krementsjoek heeft uitgevoerd. Het ministerie van Defensie zegt tegenover het Russische persbureau RIA dat de aanvallen waren gericht op een nabijgelegen opslagplaats voor ‘westerse’ wapens. De explosies zouden vervolgens een brand hebben veroorzaakt die het ‘verlaten’ winkelcentrum in de as legde. De berichtgeving kon niet onafhankelijk worden geverifieerd.

Kyiv beschuldigt Rusland van het doelbewust uitvoeren van aanvallen op burgerdoelen. Behalve in Krementsjoek werden in de afgelopen dagen ook burgers gedood in Kyiv, Charkiv en Lysytsjansk. De leiders van de G7, de groep van vooraanstaande democratische industrielanden die momenteel bijeen zijn in Duitsland spraken al van een ‘oorlogsmisdaad’. De VN-veiligheidsraad heeft voor vanavond een spoedvergadering belegd.

In het winkelcentrum in Krementsjoek kwamen gisteren ten minste 18 mensen om het leven. Tientallen mensen worden nog vermist.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 28, 2022, 08:14:25 am »

Plausible conspiracy theory: Yeltsin didn't "choose" Putin as his successor, he was blackmailed.
Yeltsin was pretty terrible in general. He may have a good reputation in the West, but he was a terrible leader.

Also, Antichrist is meant to be loved by humanity, this is clearly not the case. Even Russian imperialists and neo-nazi despise this creature (for different reasons than you and I.) Putin is loved only by truly brainless people
Yeah, that's my main reason for not truly believing that.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 28, 2022, 09:31:19 am »

Yeltsin was pretty terrible in general. He may have a good reputation in the West, but he was a terrible leader.

And a War Criminal. If the world didn't choose to ignore the war crimes of the 1st Chechen war and sanctioned Russia then, the world would be so much better now.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 28, 2022, 11:02:19 am »

I'm seeing reports that the mall strike was a pair of Kh-22 (AS-4 'Kitchen') anti-ship missiles operating in the secondary land-attack role. Which would explain a great deal. The AS-4 doesn't use satellite or inertial guidance to hit specific coordinates - it is primarily a shipkiller missile that targets based on radar returns once it reaches the general area it is launched into. On land, the intended use is relatively isolated "bright" targets (ones that have prominent radar returns) such as bridges and power plants, or else "anything we hit in this area is good" targets such as airfields, supply depots, or basing facilities.

Against a city, they might as well be addressed with "to whom it may concern", and it is little surprise that the brightest radar return was a shopping mall. With a weapon of this sort, targeting a specific building is effectively impossible.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 28, 2022, 11:27:37 am »

Still begs the question what they thought they were shooting at.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 28, 2022, 11:36:09 am »

Either they were shooting at a "nearby" car factory that may have also been hit, or they were using WWII standards and simply shooting at "Кременчу́к".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 28, 2022, 12:44:15 pm »

BBC has some maps with the reported hit spots. Looks like the plant was the target. One near-miss, one near-hit. Shit precision.
I can't figure out what plant that is on the google maps. Is it the 'road machinery' one?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 28, 2022, 02:12:35 pm »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 28, 2022, 06:08:51 pm »

Quoting myself from the news thread:

So, I guess Erdogan finally decided to allow Sweden and Finland to join Nato

Apparently we're lifting the arms embargo and taking measures against Kurdish "terrorists". It's probably too early to say anything, but I'm getting really concerned about what'll happen to our Kurdish population.

In case if someone is wondering who are these "PKK terrorists" that Erdogan wants to be extradited, here's some examples:

13 years ago several Kurdish youth (aged 16-21 at that time) decided to light the door of the Turkish Embassy on fire after an evening in a bar. No one was injured, and the youth were convicted of arson. Most of them are now Finnish citizens after SUPO (The Finnish Security and Intelligence Service) interviewed them. Now Turkey wants them extradited.

Another "terrorist" is someone who allegedly insulted Erdogan at some point. He too is requested to be extradited.

There's probably connections to PKK with some of those who Erdogan wants extradited (12 in total, I think), but that doesn't really say much about whether they're terrorists or not. But if they were, I'm pretty sure they would've been deported already.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 29, 2022, 02:12:27 am »

Extremely disappointing.
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 29, 2022, 03:34:17 pm »

If we're only talking about 12 people, I would think they could "mysteriously relocate" prior to the agreement beginning.
But it sucks those people have to move.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 29, 2022, 03:36:41 pm »

A large POW exchange happened today. 144 Ukrainian soldiers (notably, 44 are from the Azov regiment) for 144 Russian. Many of those are seriously wounded and war is over for them.

The radical Russian segment of the internet is NOT HAPPY about that.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 167