Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 116867 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #645 on: June 29, 2022, 04:07:36 pm »

A large POW exchange happened today. 144 Ukrainian soldiers (notably, 44 are from the Azov regiment) for 144 Russian. Many of those are seriously wounded and war is over for them.

Has there yet been any news on how they've been treated while being captive? Haven't been following news so much today.

If we're only talking about 12 people, I would think they could "mysteriously relocate" prior to the agreement beginning.
But it sucks those people have to move.

I'm quite sure that at least most of these extradition requests will be refused, but who knows how things'll play out in the future. The trilateral memorandum was so vague that it could mean that nothing will change or that Turkey will interpret it the way they want.

This part particularly raised questions:

Finland and Sweden confirm that the PKK is a proscribed terrorist organisation. Finland and Sweden commit to prevent activities of the PKK and all other terrorist organisations and their extensions, as well as activities by individuals in affiliated and inspired groups or networks linked to these terrorist organisations. Türkiye, Finland and Sweden have agreed to step up cooperation to prevent the activities of these terrorist groups. Finland and Sweden reject the goals of these terrorist organisations.

So, YPG apparently is considered an "extension of PKK", which could mean then that people who have volunteered to fight among their ranks against ISIS could be counted as terrorists. Same could be applied to political groups who organize solidarity events or what-ever for Syrian Kurds. Would this mean that if (or rather, when) Turkey bombs Kurds the next time and people mobilize to protest against it, they too will be labeled as "individuals linked to terrorist organisations"?

(Though, I think the biggest concession made was that Turkey was written as Türkiye, not Turkey, in the memorandum.)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 30, 2022, 01:22:52 am »

Has there yet been any news on how they've been treated while being captive? Haven't been following news so much today.

Not yet, I expect some interviews with them in the coming days. On the first photos and videos they don't look too bad (other than that many of them are amputees but those are combat injuries.)
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 30, 2022, 11:45:31 am »

Russian Ministry of Defense announced that "as a gesture of good will," Russian military forces had "completed their mission on the Zmiinyi (Snake) Island" and have withdrawn the garrison stationed there.

Russians are like the antagonist of "It" - Monsters AND clowns
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 30, 2022, 11:57:02 am »

Did anyone say what the mission even was?

(Either "there are Nazi snakes" or "protecting the snakes from Nazis", I imagine the general flavour...)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 30, 2022, 12:43:01 pm »

It’s a strategic island it’s just essentially indefensible. I think Ukraine were making it very difficult for the Russians to get anti-air stuff there after their flagship “sank in a storm” so they gave up.

It’s apparently step 1 of a thousand before Unraine can get grain out of its ports.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 30, 2022, 03:17:46 pm »

That part was obvious enough, I just wondered what the official Kremlin line might have been, as sanctioned by the bunker somewhere deep under Moscow where they can safely ignore any reality they don't like the look of.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 01, 2022, 02:14:53 am »

(Either "there are Nazi snakes" or "protecting the snakes from Nazis", I imagine the general flavour...)
I wonder how you'd figure out which snakes are nazis and which ones were not.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 01, 2022, 02:32:34 am »

I wondered what a petty crime Russia will do out of anger for losing the Snake Island.

Few missiles in Odesa residential area in early morning, 18 people reported murdered (and rising). Yet another clear terrorist attack aimed to kill random civilians. One needs to be naive to assume that those are accidents\misses. They always choose a perfect time to maximize civilian casualties. Early morning for residental buildings, midday for the shopping mall, amidst evacuation for Kramatorsk railway station

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 01, 2022, 09:44:52 am »

I wonder how you'd figure out which snakes are nazis and which ones were not.

Battlestar Ricklactica just so happens to be my favourite Rick and Morty episode.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 01, 2022, 10:42:37 am »

One needs to be naive to assume that those are accidents\misses.

Yeah, it should be clear by now that Russia is entirely capable of murdering civilians on purpose. I'm not buying for one second that these were accidents or misses.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 01, 2022, 12:28:16 pm »

I imagine only the most vile of Putinists trying to find a justification for Russia to do this.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 02, 2022, 12:04:48 pm »

Uzbekistan is pushing military equipment into Karakalpkstan amid already deadly protests against proposed Constitutional amendments to remove autonomous status from Karakalpkstan region.

As I expected... Destabilization of Central Asia begins. One of the main factors of that is an obvious weakness of Russian Army that was a stabilizing factor in the region.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #657 on: July 03, 2022, 01:42:34 pm »

To be fair central Asia has always been a cup perched perilously on the edge of a table

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 04, 2022, 02:11:37 am »

Seems like nowhere is very stable right now.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 04, 2022, 04:43:09 am »

To be fair central Asia has always been a cup perched perilously on the edge of a table
Russia is currently in the ~I'm a neko uWu phase.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 167