Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 117054 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2022, 06:27:05 pm »

-A rant
This is hate speech and rabble rousing, I don't care if it's justified, get it out of here.
you shouldn't organize a rebellion on bay12.

I think the situation with martinuzz has been resolved.
We should all strive to avoid responding to each other, as that tends to make the emotions even hotter.
It's a hard time for all of us, and much harder on the Ukrainians.
We should strive to support and accept one another in these difficult times.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2022, 09:53:27 pm »

-A rant
This is hate speech and rabble rousing, I don't care if it's justified, get it out of here.
you shouldn't organize a rebellion on bay12.
Piss off. This wasn't the right place because it won't reach many Russians at all, is what my complaint was.

Hatespeech against who? Putin's cronies? Fuck them, I wanna see them get taken to court or simply summarily executed.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2022, 02:02:51 am »

A Ukrainian and a Russian were invited to lead the Vatican’s Via Crucis (too minor for the main thread)

Dear Vatican... How can I explain that it is a BAD idea? It is a very wrong message.  I'd even say an insulting one.

Ukrainians and Russians are not equal sides of some conflict that needs to be resolved. It is quite similar to urging a rapist and their victim to reconcile their differences
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2022, 03:12:27 am »

Well it depends, maybe they deliberately picked an opposition member.

If it was a government official then yea it's an insult. No point in doing that.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2022, 03:52:06 am »

OK. I thought those intercepted calls of Russian soldiers talking with their families won't bring anything that would disgust me more than anything I already heard before.

But then... 

"Go on, rape Ukrainian women, just don't tell me. Understand? So that I won't know anything. Yes, I permit it. Use protection" Direct quote from a Russian wife talking to her husband. With giggles between the words.
I had to look this up and this shit seems genuine

In one of the audio clips released by the SSU, a man could be heard saying:" We have three tank guys here. They raped a girl." A woman then responds and asks "who did?" To which the man says: "She was 16 years old."
The woman then goes on to ask if the man speaking in the local language was talking about "our guys," to which he says "yep."
You can't even say it was some isolated case. That's an entire tank crew acting in concert in full view of other servicemen, and it sounds like this is just an accepted practice that it is ok to kill, rape and steal from civilians

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2022, 05:05:59 am »

Macron refuses to call Russian atrocities 'genocide.'

French President Emmanuel Macron said: “I would be careful with such terms today because these two peoples (Russians and Ukrainians) are brothers.”

*double facepalm*

And then you understand that the only alternative to this guy is Le Pen...
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2022, 05:19:42 am »

I feel like Macron's also missing the point. He questions whether it should be called genocide as a matter of determining intent. But if soldiers are levelling towns, leaving mass graves and committing wanton war crimes against the populace, does it matter in the present if it is targeted or indiscriminate war crimes? I think it would be better for Macron and Le Pen to argue whether it is a war crime or genocide after the war is actually over, no? It doesn't particularly matter if a soldier rapes a 16 year old because they are Ukrainian or because they want to, either way it is something which should be stopped, and determining their intent is largely an academic luxury Ukraine can ill afford. Macron's placative stance towards Putin would make sense if he could control his own army or if he was a good faith actor, but giving the benefit of the doubt towards active war crimes is just mad

In other interesting news, Syrian doctors have flown to Ukraine to teach Ukrainian doctors how to treat chemical weapons victims... Just in case

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2022, 05:25:59 am »

Don’t assume Macron is arguing in good faith.” Russians and Ukrainians are brothers” is a lie Russia has been pushing to justify its imperialistic actions since forever. I treat that phrase as a dog whistle that signifies the person who said it is a Putin drone.

This is what happens when you don’t crack down on foreign powers when they try to buy your politicians everyone!
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2022, 09:33:54 am »

Well it depends, maybe they deliberately picked an opposition member.

It makes no difference whatsoever. Even if this opposition member is someone fighting against the Russian army in Ukraine, the message is still wrong.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2022, 04:37:49 pm »

Western incitement would possibly push that critical mass over the edge. Won't hurt to do it anyways, such lowkey cyberwarfare is basically free.

relevant: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/13/us/politics/russia-propaganda-ukraine-war.html
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2022, 10:22:44 pm »

I see the Emotional Responses has transformed into the Tabloid version of the Junior Reporter thread.
I approve of this development!  Unleash the info! Some of it might be accurate, maybe even cover the stuff that "more official" stories miss.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2022, 02:50:01 am »

Confused. What tabloids?
New York Times is not a tabloid. It's one of the three major US newspapers (NYTimes, WaPo and WSJ)
New York Post is a tabloid.
Same with Washington Post (not tabloid) vs Washington Times (tabloid)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2022, 03:06:23 am »

Emotionally, I feel sad and disappointed. We, humans, desperately need to focus on getting our shit straight.

As the north pole ice cap is about to disappear and sea levels are rising.
As we need to find a way to not depend on limited resources, like, yesterday.
As the last sea turtle is choking on a piece of plastic.
As the last sharks are hunted down to turn them into expensive tasteless soup.
As our population has exploded to the point where 95% of mammal biomass is now humans and their cows/pigs/chickens.

What are we doing to solve our problems? Hating each other and fighting a new war, which will quite possibly rock us back into the stone age, if not outright extinction. Well fucking done, humanity. My cynical side is starting to feel that maybe it is for the best that we do nuke ourselves into oblivion. Another part of me is still in denial of what is happening.

This clip captures perfectly how I am feeling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_nkQoSgN7k&t=1s&ab_channel=Shout%21Factory

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2022, 03:42:29 am »

It is horrible, but as my philosophy is basically human-centric, I can't support the extinction of humanity, even if it saves other species.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2022, 04:29:05 am »

It is horrible, but as my philosophy is basically human-centric, I can't support the extinction of humanity, even if it saves other species.

To be clear, me neither. I was venting my darkest feelings there, not expressing what I seriously think.

On the bright side of things, events in Ukraine have been a wake-up call for me to stop sleepwalking through life, to get into action and help build a future. See if there is some community working on a 100% sustainable way of life and join it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 167