Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 112126 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Now THIS is the thread to discuss your responses to the War in Ukraine, how you feel about it, how it affects you personally.

I would ask that everyone respect the quite harsh reactions that some may have to these events.  War is nasty enough, suffering is prevalent, try not to add to negativity if you can.

Good civil discourse will keep this thread going longer.  Please, avoid advocating for death as much as possible.

Please avoid personal attacks!  >:( >:( Whether or not you agree with what someone said several weeks ago...was relevant several weeks ago.  Let it go, please.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 02:31:07 pm »

The Ukraine war thread was locked for a reason, so probably not a good idea to establish other threads in its wake for the time being.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 02:59:57 pm »

First, I would like to thank you for using the correct thread to discuss your thoughts on this matter.

Second, I think the flow of information that existed in the Ukraine thread is vitally important, and needs to be maintained.  Hopefully, if others can respect the division of reporting and responding like you have, then we'll at least keep the informational thread going.  This thread, might flicker a bit, but the dissemination of information should continue.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 03:03:15 pm »

Just exercise prudent control over the thread so Toady doesn't have to, and all will be well. (.....at least for us armchairing over the internet.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 04:49:58 pm »

I hope Merkel, Sarkozy, and every other bought politician in France and Germany gets shipped off to the Hague next to Putin.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 08:11:37 pm »

In light of the latest news in the info thread, I must say that I'm genuinely disturbed. It seems like Russia is trying to cultivate a fanaticism against Ukraine that is equivalent to Ukraine's against Russia. Putin has always been a master at blaming his own atrocities on his enemies, so I'm genuinely worried that he's gonna pull this off.

Frankly, I feel like we're Carthage during the second Punic Wars. We were attacked by a superior enemy, but due to cleverness and morale we were able to score victory after victory, only to lose it all at the end once it was no longer possible to ignore basic realities.

Perhaps Russia itself is ignoring realities, maybe there's a growing rebel faction who us westerners aren't able to know about, but I doubt Putin would let such people live if he knew about them.

I feel like this coming decade is going to be a hellish one.

EDIT:

What we need right now are psyops, ways of sneaking information into the Russian poeple that will make them doubt Putin's narrative. I believe Ukraine can hold it's own against unmotivated conscripts, but if the Russians actually start to fight with ferocity, then the country and by extension the World is doomed.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:18:47 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 08:24:47 pm »

Thanks for keeping your thoughts to this thread. I appreciate it.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 10:23:33 pm »

PTW.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 12:37:28 am »

So... I don't want to post this in the news thread because it is not something I can back with the link and more like my own observations on the current situation in Ukraine mixed with my own subjective thoughts

1) Ukrainian economy is... collapsing. Between physical destruction, disruption of supply chains, the collapse of demand (people spend money only on essential stuff), and workforce being mobilized... many business are collapsing and cash reserves of the population are dwindling down

2) Mood is increasingly grim. It started as a war for freedom, now it is apparent that this is a war for survival. More and more people come to the realization that should we lose Russians will do to us with Germans did to Jews in the 1940s

3) Even with war censorship and fog of war it becomes more and more apparent how high our casaulities are. After all, we give our fallen proper funeral. My own estimation is 10 000+ killed servicemen, 100 000+ killed civilians. Most people I know have more pessimistic estimates

4) Mood is gradually shifting from "we will win" to "we will make Russians pay". Everyone (at least around me) is beginning that in this war of attrition we are not the winning side. Sanctions on Russia are cool and everything, but their infrastructure isn't blowing up. Positive news from the front bring little joy - Yay, 10 Russian tanks destroyed today. Whatever, they have thousands more.

5) In the same time, all those diplomatic negotiations with Russians cause nothing but anger. What kind of deals our government wants to sign with those lying monsters? I guarantee you that any ceasefire\peace deal with Russia that will include territorial concessions or limitations to our armed forces or some kind of neutral status, will result in Zelensky's approval rating going well below pre-war 35% and the country, devastated by the war, will enter into a political crisis of epic proportions

6) Everyone is horrified thinking about the fate of people still in occupation. Rumors about Bucha and other towns and villages were circulating weeks before its liberation, no one wanted to believe them. Now people tend to believe in all rumored atrocities... And there are many rumors, many very nasty rumors
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 01:26:41 am »

Probably not the best thing to hear while I’m trying to fall asleep. Guess I’ll have to comment.

All of the above makes it sound like Ukraine’s gonna turn into Vietnam. If Russia conquers it, then expect survivors to hide and perform guerrilla attacks. I expect much savagery.

Ironically, the Viet Kong were constantly able to acquire new recruits in spite of the crimes they committed. Maybe these Ukrainians will find a way to bring the truth to Russians somehow, and perhaps lead a revolt that could destroy Putin from within.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 01:51:39 am »

Probably not the best thing to hear while I’m trying to fall asleep. Guess I’ll have to comment.

All of the above makes it sound like Ukraine’s gonna turn into Vietnam. If Russia conquers it, then expect survivors to hide and perform guerrilla attacks. I expect much savagery.

Ironically, the Viet Kong were constantly able to acquire new recruits in spite of the crimes they committed. Maybe these Ukrainians will find a way to bring the truth to Russians somehow, and perhaps lead a revolt that could destroy Putin from within.

Russians know the truth. All of it. They have internet. It is largely unrestricted (and existing restrictions are easily bypassed by a basic VPN) and all information is available in Russian language. They choose to ignore it.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 03:06:22 am »

Russians know the truth. All of it. They have internet. It is largely unrestricted (and existing restrictions are easily bypassed by a basic VPN) and all information is available in Russian language. They choose to ignore it.
Many people, particularly older ones, don't trust Western news because they have been brainwashed. Not really their fault, the propaganda machine painting Western news sources as fakes is strong.

Do you expect a tech-illiterate person (of which there are many in Russia) who mostly hangs around heavily-censored social networks like VK to know what a VPN is to access the truth?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 03:07:58 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 04:07:36 am »

I have no emotions to add, unless PTW is an emotion.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2022, 04:27:59 am »

I have... had a cousin living in Russia for the past 20 years. He knows everything. I told him the truth. His aunt told him the truth. His brother told him the truth... His parents didn't live long enough but I think he wouldn't accept the truth from them either.

Flat earthers have full access to proofs Earth is a sphere. Antivaxers have full access to proofs that vaccines save lives. Biblical literalists have full access to proofs that biological evolution is a fact. Radical Trumpists have full access to proofs that there were no rigged elections in the USA. Trying to bring the truth to these people is a waste of time and effort. They already know the truth, they choose to not believe it. If facts contradict their beliefs, those facts will be ignored.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2022, 05:09:53 am »

YouTube has suspended the account of a Chinese vlogger who reported on the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Spoiler: from BBC live updates (click to show/hide)
Youtube licking Pooh's poohole
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 167