Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 112164 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2022, 05:13:29 am »

I have... had a cousin living in Russia for the past 20 years. He knows everything. I told him the truth. His aunt told him the truth. His brother told him the truth... His parents didn't live long enough but I think he wouldn't accept the truth from them either.

Flat earthers have full access to proofs Earth is a sphere. Antivaxers have full access to proofs that vaccines save lives. Biblical literalists have full access to proofs that biological evolution is a fact. Radical Trumpists have full access to proofs that there were no rigged elections in the USA. Trying to bring the truth to these people is a waste of time and effort. They already know the truth, they choose to not believe it. If facts contradict their beliefs, those facts will be ignored.
Again, many Russians, particularly older ones, are indeed isolated. They don't really have anyone to tell them the truth, or they're brainwashed enough that they think it's fake (source: talking to Russian boomers).

So were many Germans during Hitler's rule, actually. And many Chinese are like that now despite access to VPNs and such to bypass the Great Firewall (source: Chinese friend). Propaganda can indeed override outside information if it's loud enough and the person is accustomed to it.

If there is a regime change, such propaganda would need to be undone, as it was during denazification in Germany.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2022, 05:25:49 am »

3) Even with war censorship and fog of war it becomes more and more apparent how high our casaulities are. After all, we give our fallen proper funeral. My own estimation is 10 000+ killed servicemen, 100 000+ killed civilians. Most people I know have more pessimistic estimates

I've been wondering what these numbers might be and been worried that they're probably high.

5) In the same time, all those diplomatic negotiations with Russians cause nothing but anger. What kind of deals our government wants to sign with those lying monsters? I guarantee you that any ceasefire\peace deal with Russia that will include territorial concessions or limitations to our armed forces or some kind of neutral status, will result in Zelensky's approval rating going well below pre-war 35% and the country, devastated by the war, will enter into a political crisis of epic proportions

I really hope no deals aren't made with Russia that doesn't involve the complete withdrawal of Russian troops and handing war criminals to international justice. A ceasefire would just allow Putin to adapt his plans before the next round. And Russia is known to have violated ceasefire agreements. Putin wants to destroy Ukraine, he won't settle for anything less.

I'm really hoping Western governments won't pressure Zelensky to accept a rotten deal with Russia just for the sake of peace. We need to send all the help we can to Ukraine to fight back. There can't be any peace as long as Putin and his regime holds power.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2022, 06:03:13 am »

Yeah. Do not let Putin take a meter of Ukrainian land, or he will just try again 5 years later and annex Ukraine piecemeal. If only there were no nukes, otherwise we'd have seen NATO topple Putin by now.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2022, 06:47:06 am »

Our (Ukrainian) ambassador in UN is... becoming increasingly non-diplomatic in his Twitter. When professional diplomats start talking like this... It tells something about the mood of the nation.

https://twitter.com/SergiyKyslytsya/status/1511670613806563332
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2022, 07:20:37 am »

If there is a regime change, such propaganda would need to be undone, as it was during denazification in Germany.

So the US will hand out a bunch of cushy CIA jobs to ex-Putinists, over half of government officials in Russia will still be Putinists, and in 10 years half of Russians will want a Strong Fuhrer to return, got it.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2022, 08:17:02 am »

So the US will hand out a bunch of cushy CIA jobs to ex-Putinists, over half of government officials in Russia will still be Putinists, and in 10 years half of Russians will want a Strong Fuhrer to return, got it.
I mentioned propaganda specifically, not the other aspects of a hypothetical deputinization.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2022, 08:32:51 am »

I mentioned propaganda specifically, not the other aspects of a hypothetical deputinization.

Fair enough, just pointing out how pathetic the "denazification" of Germany was (by the west at least, the Soviets unsurprisingly had the right ideas).

Tangentially related to the Ukraine war because he was a prominent fascist propagandist in Russia constantly whinging about how Ukraine isn't real/belongs to Russia or whatever, Vladimir "Zhirik" Zhirinovsky is officially dead in the dirt, after a few months of a covid-induced coma. Rest in Piss.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2022, 11:24:43 am »

P to pee on grave.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2022, 11:36:15 am »

Alright, no more desecrating the dead, please. It leads to a Bad Place.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2022, 11:37:27 am »

News of Russian mobile crematoriums in Mariupol horrifies me so much... Not because Russia will hide the evidence of its crimes, nothing will.

Thousands of people will never know the fate of their loved ones. Were they killed in Mariupol? Were they "rescued" into Russia to be sold into slavery or something? Were they... People will ask such questions for the rest of their lives.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2022, 11:42:14 am »

Fair concern. Although, cremation doesn't remove all traces a person existed, and not every buried body will be found. I'm afraid that is all the comfort I can give.

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2022, 01:57:47 pm »

Our (Ukrainian) ambassador in UN is... becoming increasingly non-diplomatic in his Twitter. When professional diplomats start talking like this... It tells something about the mood of the nation.

https://twitter.com/SergiyKyslytsya/status/1511670613806563332

Ukrainian ambassador to Germany Andrij Melnyk has stopped being diplomatic weeks ago, and he really pulls no punches. In doing so he risks alienating our politicians, possibly our government. However, I do think he is completely justified, because our country is so slow on the uptake and complacent.

He produces headlines like this: "All Russians are now our enemies" in an interview with FAZ, a high profile newspaper. https://twitter.com/melnykandrij/status/1511589607049252865 The interview expands on his reasoning, of course, but it is a good example of his work.

I think he does his job well, especially because he seems to give no shit about being diplomatic. I hope he gets results.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2022, 03:00:15 pm »

I want to say one thing. In the English segment of social networks, Ukrainians seem to be rather aggressive and whiny (at least according to my observations). You must understand that we experience grief, anger, fear, and many other unpleasant emotions...

We are grateful for all the support we are receiving. We understand that without all of this assistance situation would be direr.

Even if I could say many bad, bad things about certain Western politicians I am immensely grateful for many things

I am grateful for how welcoming Europe is. I am grateful to Poland, with which we have... rather complcated history, to Moldova that accepted an insane amount of refugees (per capita) while being a country with limited resources.

I am grateful for weapons and ammunition. It would be a very different war without NLAWs and Stingers. The Czech Republic and Poland provide an insane amount of... stuff. Way more than can be seen in open sources.

I understand the value of NATO's intelligence

I am grateful for all donations coming to different funds, every dollar\euor\pound\etc counts.

I salute to heroes who came to fight as volunteers. I also appreciate Belarussian resistance both in the form of the Belarussian volunteer battalion and guys who do sabotage or provide intelligence to Ukraine. Today, 4 Belarussians were caught trying to sabotage local railways, their fate won't be pleasant.

Even people on forums and social networks are incredibly important. They help a lot in the informational warfare and canceling Russia is a holy task.

But we want more... We need more to win this war 

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2022, 03:07:26 pm »

World: We kick you out of the Human Rights Council
Russia: We withdraw from the currupt and politicized institution called the Human Rights Council.

Really, they don't care about anything. Being kicked out of Swift? No problemo. Kicked out of the Council of Europe? We never liked it anyways. Cut of gas and oil? Pssst China and India wtb cheap oil?

We need to come up with things that will hit them hard where they feel it.

Dear Russia. End this war, withdraw your forces and repent, or we will be forced to DELETE ALL YOUR POKEMON ACCOUNTS.
Think of all the years of careful breeding. Lost forever, in the blink of an eye.
The clouds in the sky will echo for years, your collective wails of suka blyet.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 03:10:22 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2022, 03:20:07 pm »

https://ccl.org.ua/en/claims/euromaidan-sos-honest-answers-to-the-most-common-questions-about-azov-in-the-west/

Some info about what the current Azov regiment really is and what it isn't.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 167