Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119076 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #735 on: July 28, 2022, 05:09:52 pm »

So.... Topic number one in the Ukrainian segment of Twitter is a video on which Russians castrate a Ukrainian POW. Creature doing this is already identified

And some "liberal" Russians truly believe that it will be like "we'll remove Putin (somehow) and we'll be friends again. Yay!"
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: July 28, 2022, 05:37:23 pm »

a video on which Russians castrate a Ukrainian POW. Creature doing this is already identified

So, they're pretty much on the same level (or worse) as ISIL/Daesh?

some "liberal" Russians truly believe that it will be like "we'll remove Putin (somehow) and we'll be friends again. Yay!"

Yeah, it'll probably take decades to fix relations after all this shit.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 28, 2022, 06:15:07 pm »

Yes, they are on the same level as ISIL. Armies don't act like this. Armies find such sadists within their ranks and eliminate them. The world really needs to abandon the "We can't let Russia collapse, nukes may fall in hands of ISIL-like organizations" mentality. Nukes are already in the hands of an ISIL-like organization (It also means that the world better spend trillions on anti-IBCM tech)

Do you know what is even worse? Russian social networks are full of glorifying of this guy and "funny and humane" jokes like this:

Understand that this video is just something that went public. Castrations and other forms of mutilations are common among Ukrainian POWs. I also heard a story that Russian doctors infected a group of Ukrainian POWs with Hepatitis C before a prisoner exchange and I tend to trust the source

PS. Do not seek the video, do not watch it. SERIOUSLY, DON'T. Some screenshots I glanced over are enough to damage your sanity.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 06:20:05 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 28, 2022, 07:38:29 pm »

Armies tend to empower Sadists, they only give lip service to attempts to pushing inhumane behavior.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 28, 2022, 07:47:43 pm »

Bad armies do. Most armies with a sadism problem are ones that perform very poorly on the battlefield, because behavior like that is extremely corrosive.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: July 28, 2022, 11:29:54 pm »

Yeah no way are relations getting much better any time soon even after a regime change.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 29, 2022, 12:30:32 am »

It made me think, what would I require to believe that some new Russia is actually, honestly, really trying to move away from the genocidal and imperialistic mentality?

My answer is... a major rewrite of Russian history textbooks and active propaganda of a more accurate version of history in media and art. And it is something that won't happen.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 29, 2022, 01:55:06 am »

And more horrible news. "DNR" sources report that  "the Ukrainian army shelled POW camp to kill witnesses of their crimes killing ~50 POWs", while this kind of mistake is remotely possible I can bet that this is just a "creative" way to kill POWs
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 02:07:51 am by Strongpoint »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 29, 2022, 02:08:26 am »

A POW camp in artillery range?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 29, 2022, 02:24:58 am »

A POW camp in artillery range?

It is like 30km away from the frontline, so yeah, more than close enough for modern artillery, especially MLRSes. But knowing Russians and their attention to detail we may find that it was shelled with something like 10KM max range

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 29, 2022, 03:30:36 am »

But why would anyone put a POW camp that close to the frontline? Seems like bad practice.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 29, 2022, 03:35:52 am »

But why would anyone put a POW camp that close to the frontline? Seems like bad practice.

Why? No offensive can liberate the camp quickly enough to prevent Russians from executing all of them in time.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 29, 2022, 04:00:02 am »

Because it's the frontlines. The already strained logistics chain this far from the army depots have better things to do than building and maintaining a POW camp. I would think. Sitting in my armchair.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #748 on: July 29, 2022, 04:41:13 am »

PS. Do not seek the video, do not watch it. SERIOUSLY, DON'T. Some screenshots I glanced over are enough to damage your sanity.

Damn, I literally had seen the video as soon as it dropped on reddit. Really wish I hadn't.

The guy who did the act is apparently a part of one of the Asian minorities in Russia, a Kalmykian. I wonder why he did this. Maybe in somesort of maligned effort to prove himself to his fellow Russian soldiers/wider Russia society? 

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 29, 2022, 04:55:33 am »

It's starting to sound like Russian POW camps might be the same as Nazi concentration camps with this kind of shit going on.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 167