Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119188 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #1140 on: September 08, 2022, 11:55:34 am »

So, two major Ukrainian offensives are going steadily in Kharkiv and Kherson regions.

We are liberating village after village, town after town. Will it continue for a long time? Will this offensive end in a liberation of Kherson and/or Izyum? I don't think so. The offensive potential will be exhausted at some point and Russia will bring in their reserves. Also, rains will start in a few weeks

Still, those are major successes
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: September 08, 2022, 12:16:08 pm »

I think it was yesterday that it was revealed that Russia had had to buy in huge amounts of weaponry from North Korea. I'm not sure that's good news for anyone. (Russia won't be happy having had to do so, the people of NK will suffer, China may he at the least bemused, etc... And ultimately Ukraine and its worldwide allie/supporters/worried-observers will have to deal with a Russian offensive that is significantly slower to run out of steam as predicted.)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: September 08, 2022, 02:11:34 pm »

This will be a long war and Russia buying arms from North Korea (read from China) and Iran was very expected. As long as oil flows, they will have money to continue. And oil will flow.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: September 08, 2022, 02:41:00 pm »

Yeah the problem with the sanctions against Russia is… they’re not global. Western demand reduces, which lowers the price of Russian oil, which makes it more attractive to countries that don’t particularly care what’s going on, like India and China.

This may also be why Russia was seen burning gas a while ago: reduced EU demand reduced the price a bit too much, so they had to jiggle the supply to keep prices reasonable.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: September 08, 2022, 03:02:23 pm »

That doesn't mean that the sanctions don't hurt. The majority of what Russia's been able to procure is from nations that are already essentially blacklisted on the global market (NK and Iran), or via very small and deniable channels that straight-up *can't* come close to meeting the material demands of this war.

It is very likely that the reports of Russia buying from North Korea are in fact them buying North Korean weapons. China's shown themselves unwilling to openly supply Russia in any significant way, and that is going to extend to anything that can be traced to them. Computer chips and other commodities are one thing - weapons and ammunition with 中国北方工业集团有限公司 stamped on the side are something else. Meanwhile, NK does have a sizable armaments industry (it is one of their only real industries), and a big chunk of the global black market is them. More importantly, a huge amount of what they produce is ammunition-compatible with what Russia is already using, as well as the compatible ammunition. The latter is probably the most significant contribution they could make, because it is increasingly clear that Russia's starting to face severe ammunition shortages due to the mysterious stockpile detonations.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1145 on: September 08, 2022, 03:58:06 pm »

Yeah the problem with the sanctions against Russia is… they’re not global. Western demand reduces, which lowers the price of Russian oil, which makes it more attractive to countries that don’t particularly care what’s going on, like India and China.

This may also be why Russia was seen burning gas a while ago: reduced EU demand reduced the price a bit too much, so they had to jiggle the supply to keep prices reasonable.
Well that and the fact that Germany, France and Italy were keen to keep buying Russian gas at high prices even after the invasion didn't exactly send Russia the right message

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: September 08, 2022, 04:31:43 pm »

I understood that the gas burning was most likely due to not having the capacity to store it, or operators fearing that shutting down would cause technical issues to start up again, or possibly some other difficulties, like missing some equipment they can't get hold of due to the embargo?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: September 08, 2022, 04:52:33 pm »

...or "Command Economy" jobsworthness resulting in a significant lack of flexibility/common-sense in the light of top-down political pressures.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: September 08, 2022, 05:25:47 pm »

I think it was yesterday that it was revealed that Russia had had to buy in huge amounts of weaponry from North Korea. I'm not sure that's good news for anyone. (Russia won't be happy having had to do so, the people of NK will suffer, China may he at the least bemused, etc... And ultimately Ukraine and its worldwide allie/supporters/worried-observers will have to deal with a Russian offensive that is significantly slower to run out of steam as predicted.)

Nah, that's great news, especially with the invasion not even 7 months old.
1) North Korea's equipment isn't necessarily modern in any way, so it's a further sign of Russian despiration.
2) Most of the times North Korea causes trouble, it's because they're suffering economically AND they use their military arms as leverage. So ironically this should actually help World Peace.
...or maybe I'm being a bit optimistic on this point.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1149 on: September 08, 2022, 05:53:26 pm »

It is at least a positive sign that Rusisa's best logistical plan is buying shells made with 19th century technology from the other side of the planet after so many ammo dumps went caput

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: September 08, 2022, 06:17:15 pm »

It's the desperation that I take as a bad sign. Russia is stooping so low[1], but seemingly unashamedly thus. So no chance of doing some "ha ha, didn't mean it!", declare Mission Accomplished (whether believably or not) and work at patching up all the self-harm injuries upon itself, and other cuts and bruises suffered whilst blundering around like a drunken blindman left unattended in an ad hoc knife-shop.

But that was just my initial knee-jerk thoughts (extemporised into passable prose[2], naturally) when I first heard of such happenings. It does need modifying in light of further logical deductions arising from additional facts and suggestions. Still not much changed in its core, though.

[1] In the "good old days", it (and/or China) would be helping out regimes like NK. And it's not even somewhere like Belarus (a virtual province of the New.S.S.R.) but one in China's sphere of influence.

[2] Rather than the original internal representation of those thoughts, which I suppose 'looked' more like a vague and yet fully animated flow-chart/circuit-diagram with flashing colours and floating markers, all representing abstract feelings in ways that might only be obvious to myself even if I used Blender rather than a textbox to convey it to any other minds that care to learn of it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: September 08, 2022, 06:38:32 pm »

THIS is the Emotional Responses thread!
Knee-jerk thoughts are PERMISSABLE. :P

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: September 09, 2022, 01:22:34 am »

About the Russia/North Korea deal... from this NPR article
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The ammunition for both their ballistic and rocket artillery probably hasn't advanced that much, outside of the rocket guidance systems.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: September 09, 2022, 02:22:08 am »

I'm not an expert, but if I know anything about North Korea, it's that they don't have very many good things going for them. They'll want to squeeze that kinda deal for absolutely everything that it's worth. I imagine they'll sell Russia those armaments gladly... starting with the oldest and most poorly maintained ones, counterfeit ones made of subpar materials, barely functioning ones, anything that will be enough to guarantee profits while not ending Russia's little war problem that it's trying to fix.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 02:23:57 am by JoshuaFH »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: September 09, 2022, 04:28:07 am »

I imagine they'll sell Russia those armaments gladly... starting with the oldest and most poorly maintained ones, counterfeit ones made of subpar materials, barely functioning ones, anything that will be enough to guarantee profits while not ending Russia's little war problem that it's trying to fix.
Using Russia as a defective munitions disposal site seems like the best use for all the old crap laying around.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 167